Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 12, 2005, 08:45 AM
Can't wait to hear a flight report! You said video will be availble in a couple of days, right?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2005, 09:00 AM
Birds do it, bees do it
Ken,

Looking good. Can't wait to hear how she flies.

I like the idea of covering one with fibreglass. Being so large she should take the extra weight well.

Jeff
Oct 12, 2005, 09:09 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Dear Ken, I am pretty sure that you will be happy with Formosa-II.

GWS RD Steve Lo had flown so many times of Formosa, but he loves F-II way much more than her little sister.

Hope you will have time to try it and post your comments here ASAP.
Oct 12, 2005, 09:40 AM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Very impressive guys.

Mr. Lin, we appreciate your Company's openess in sharing the progress with us.
Oct 13, 2005, 10:29 AM
I will try to get video and post here.

Ray
Oct 13, 2005, 10:31 AM
Ken,

Looking forward to seeing your info.

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
After a 10 hour stint today my Formosa II is ready to fly. My Meduca BEC arrived this morning. Talk about Just In Time Manufacturing as I was just ready to install it.

I spent more than 3 hours chasing a motor vibration only to find out that it appears that long 3 mm shafts and APC Thin Electric propellers are incompatable above 7,500 RPM. Yes I did try balancing the propeller. A change to the GWS 8 x 4 DD and everything smoothed out beautifully.

My mixing set up is:-

1 Flaperon 100%
2 Flaps 50% on both positive and negative using the Flap Knob
3 Flap elevator mixing is inactive because my switch is broken and I need to buy a new one.
4 Landing/Airbrake 35% down flap and 10% elevator compensation
5 Ailerons 70% ATV 40% Expotential
6 Ailerons Dual rates 100% and 70%
7 Elevators 1005% ATV 40% Expotential
8 Elevators Dual rates 100% and 70%
9 Rudder 100% ATV

So everything is ready for first flight tomorrow morning. Sorry that there are no radio instalation photos but I am just too tired to take them. I will do so tomorrow morning.

The ready to fly weight is 686 gms (24.5 oz)

Ken
Oct 14, 2005, 08:17 PM
For a number of reasons, the most significant being the birth of my fourth Great Grandaugher this week and subsequent family celebrations, I have not been able to test fly yet.

But the extra time has allowed me to fit the undercarriage. Most of my flying will be without the wheels but the mounts will fill the big holes in the wing. I epoyied the ply plates into the wing and then placed a 3/4 oz fiberglass patch over them to stengthen the mount. A 2 mm carbon fiber rod is epoxied under the tail to provide a tail skid. I have since added a small length of wire on the tip to prevent wear on tarmack and concrete runways.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Oct 14, 2005 at 08:32 PM.
Oct 14, 2005, 08:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Ken,
It looks like the servo arm would be exposed to catching on grass clumps, etc. in belly landings and possibly damage the servo gears. I assume there is nothing included in the kit to help protect against this (e.g. a small plastic bubble or shield of some sort) since it comes with landing gear (I think).

Maybe this is not as big a deal as it looks in the picture. Your opinion?

Also, are the tail feather pushrods designed to both come out the same side of the fuse as shown in the pic with the tail skid, or is this your mod? Looks like they might rub or snag on each other. Again, I may be misinterpreting what the pics show.

Tom
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 14, 2005 at 08:56 PM.
Oct 14, 2005, 09:16 PM
If the undercarriage is fitted then it will prevent the servo being damaged. I will be fitting short wire wiskers coming out of the U/C mount. I had thought about this problem but with the things that have happened this week it had slipped my mind so thank you for reminding me.

Ken
Oct 14, 2005, 09:37 PM
I've mod'ed my Formosa1 with dual aileron servos pretty much like these. I've handlaunched/bellylanded mine over 50 time with no damage to the servos.
Oct 14, 2005, 10:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
If the undercarriage is fitted then it will prevent the servo being damaged. I will be fitting short wire wiskers coming out of the U/C mount. I had thought about this problem but with the things that have happened this week it had slipped my mind so thank you for reminding me.

Ken
How about the tail feather pushrods being on the same side of the fuse?
Oct 14, 2005, 10:06 PM
Hi Ken,

the way you put that piece of wood is similar to what our RD did.

I hope you will have a lof of fun with your formsoa II on this coming weekend!!!
Last edited by RAY GWS; Oct 15, 2005 at 01:10 PM.
Oct 14, 2005, 11:07 PM
Birds do it, bees do it
Quote:
For a number of reasons, the most significant being the birth of my fourth Great Grandaugher this week and subsequent family celebrations, I have not been able to test fly yet.
Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

Jeff
Oct 15, 2005, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY GWS
Hi Ken,

the way you put that piece of wood is similar to what our RD did.

I hope you will have a lof of fun on this during the coming weekend!!!
Ray my problem at the moment is that sunrise is at 6:30 AM and the wind starts at 7:30 AM so I only have a small time in each day in which conditions are ideal for test flying.

Ken
Oct 15, 2005, 01:07 PM
I think you will have a lot fun with Formosa II.

Against the wind, fly with no fear but thrill!!!

When we tested it. It was very windy.