Formosa II build thread. - Page 4 - RC Groups
Oct 10, 2005, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy_WA
Kensp

From your images it looks like there is no top access via the canopy to slide battery's in like there was in the Formosa 1 and instead the battery sits under the wing in a dedicated compartment, Hmmm, this may limit COG options.

How is the compartment closed or secured
The battery is secured with two velcro straps that go right rhrough the wing and around the battery. As well there is an extra cover that is put on using the same system as Warbird canopies.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Oct 10, 2005 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Add photo
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2005, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
Is the formosa II available yet in the USA?

I have one of these waiting around for it:
Available from GWS HQ -- for Early Bird Member only

http://www.gwsus.com/english/service/earlybird.htm
Oct 10, 2005, 10:38 PM
So Ray....when will the Formosa II be available at GWS distributors...for us "non experienced" pilots?
Oct 11, 2005, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsons
So Ray....when will the Formosa II be available at GWS distributors...for us "non experienced" pilots?
I think around DEC.

For early birds -- this kit without manual.

as you can see Ken spent time and efforts to work on this.

Our RD was doing a test flight this morning. It flow so well.

We just use EPSD-350 motor.

Will post soome info here.
Oct 11, 2005, 07:37 AM
I have just installed the aileron servos and set them up. Its almost five years since I set up a two servo wing with full mixing and I had to do a lot of thinking to remember how to do it. I now have the flaperons, flaps and landing flaps/airbrake set up on the wing. Tomorrow morning I will mount the elevator and rudder servos and complete the mixing set up.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Oct 11, 2005 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
Oct 11, 2005, 01:31 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Looks good so far Ken!

I have had a Formosa for just over 2 years and have had many flights on it. This weekend I crashed it due to radio glitcing and maybe a little pilot error.

Henry at www.ZebraHobby.ca hosted my Formosa on his front page.

Anyway, she is now retired and it is time for me to look at the Formosa II. It looks almost identical in form. What is the landing gear like? I know the Formosa I had very flimsey landing gear which recently I just removed as it looked better in the air and flew a tad faster.

Any plans for retracts on yours??

Mr. Lin, will retracts be a GWS factory opton?

Look forward to the Christmas time release.
Oct 11, 2005, 05:18 PM
Ray,

Would love to see some video of this. i will either purchase the Formosa 1 or 2 depending on it's flight charactoristics.
Oct 11, 2005, 05:33 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Travy, that is a good point.

Given GWS's track record with Formosa I, I am thinking that the Formosa II will be equal, or better since its increased size. Not super keen on the large Ailerons though. But for Pattern, I can just flip to dual rates and lessen the throws. The only 2 isues Iever have had with my Formosa I was the canopy flying off in a high speed dive and the elevator outside tips breaking off in a not-so-perfect landing.
Oct 11, 2005, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob mueller
Anyway, she is now retired and it is time for me to look at the Formosa II. It looks almost identical in form. What is the landing gear like? I know the Formosa I had very flimsey landing gear which recently I just removed as it looked better in the air and flew a tad faster.

Any plans for retracts on yours??
My kit is a pre-production one and although it comes with lightweight 50mm wheels and 2 mm U/C wires there is no plastic molding for the U/C mounting. For this reason and the fact that my park has no suitable take off and landing strip I am not fitting the U/C.

I am so impressed with the Formosa II that I plan to build a heavier one. This aeroplane will be glassed and have a larger 200+ Watt outrunner motor fitted. I will be looking at fitting retracts on this version.

Until you actually see a Formosa II in the flesh so to speak, you will not appreciate how much bigger than the Formosa I that the new model is. I post this photo of the Formosa II with a GWS Naro servo on the wing to give an idea of the new aeroplanes size.
Oct 11, 2005, 05:46 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob mueller
Travy, that is a good point.

Not super keen on the large Ailerons though.
BINGO! I like large control surfaces but this model screams 3D!

Ken can I bust your chops about GWS Putting a 3D ship ahead of the P-40 now!!

If there is another version made with smaller surfaces Ill convert it to a trike just to be different!

Nice thread Ken!

Tommy
Oct 11, 2005, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travy
Ray,

Would love to see some video of this. i will either purchase the Formosa 1 or 2 depending on it's flight charactoristics.

You will get the video and put here.

Ken,

yours looks excellent.

If you use the landing gear -- you may need to use some wood to work with the black plactic parts ( mount ).

You will love it.

Yesterday it was windy.

Against the wind & feel the thrill !! No fear to fly at all!!.

Aslo try to use stronger push rod ( especially for the rudder )... if you will try to fly 3D.

We use EPSD-350 ( C gear set )
Oct 12, 2005, 06:44 AM
After a 10 hour stint today my Formosa II is ready to fly. My Meduca BEC arrived this morning. Talk about Just In Time Manufacturing as I was just ready to install it.

I spent more than 3 hours chasing a motor vibration only to find out that it appears that long 3 mm shafts and APC Thin Electric propellers are incompatable above 7,500 RPM. Yes I did try balancing the propeller. A change to the GWS 8 x 4 DD and everything smoothed out beautifully.

My mixing set up is:-

1 Flaperon 100%
2 Flaps 50% on both positive and negative using the Flap Knob
3 Flap elevator mixing is inactive because my switch is broken and I need to buy a new one.
4 Landing/Airbrake 35% down flap and 10% elevator compensation
5 Ailerons 70% ATV 40% Expotential
6 Ailerons Dual rates 100% and 70%
7 Elevators 1005% ATV 40% Expotential
8 Elevators Dual rates 100% and 70%
9 Rudder 100% ATV

So everything is ready for first flight tomorrow morning. Sorry that there are no radio instalation photos but I am just too tired to take them. I will do so tomorrow morning.

The ready to fly weight is 686 gms (24.5 oz)

Ken