Formosa II build thread. - Page 3 - RC Groups
Oct 05, 2005, 01:25 PM
The first fligt is now planned for Wed, 12 September, because of a delay in delivery of the stand alone BEC. This is the main reason I am not rushing the build.

The planned video filming will be on Sunday, 16 September, when my cameraman will be available.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Oct 05, 2005 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Add text for clarity
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2005, 01:48 PM
Here is the colour scheme I am thinking of using . These are PC9's of the Roulettes, the RAAF Dislay Team.

Ken
Oct 05, 2005, 02:14 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Hi Ken,

I think not rushing is a great idea but I don't want to wait 11 months.... - can't believe delivery on the bec is THAT bad!

Seriously, I'm enjoying the thread, as I'm sure we all are - I can't think of a better pioneer out there in front for us

Roger
Oct 05, 2005, 02:15 PM
You mean October right?
Oct 05, 2005, 02:33 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travy
You mean October right?
Er, yes, I'm sure he did! I'm going to have built mine by September 12th. And yes I do mean 2006!
Oct 05, 2005, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Hi Ken,

I think not rushing is a great idea but I don't want to wait 11 months.... - can't believe delivery on the bec is THAT bad!

Seriously, I'm enjoying the thread, as I'm sure we all are - I can't think of a better pioneer out there in front for us

Roger
My mistake. Its October now. Good Grief! Its almost Christmass.

Ken
Oct 06, 2005, 04:48 PM
Roger Lombard

You are gonna love this. Yesterday I went to my LHS to get some servo extention leads. I now have two 15 inch and two 9 inch extention leads. just weighed them and found that they weighed a total of 26 grams.. B--- Hell, an exta ounce, and you know how I like lightweight models. So it now looks as if the AUW ready to fly will be about 21 oz without an undercarriage.

I used my formula to calculate the safe CG position and it is at 118 mm from the LE at the center of the wing, right on the carbon fiber spar. By mounting the battery in the nose under the cowling I think I will not need balast to get the correct CG.
Oct 06, 2005, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Roger Lombard

You are gonna love this. Yesterday I went to my LHS to get some servo extention leads. I now have two 15 inch and two 9 inch extention leads. just weighed them and found that they weighed a total of 26 grams.. B--- Hell, an exta ounce, and you know how I like lightweight models. So it now looks as if the AUW ready to fly will be about 21 oz without an undercarriage.

I used my formula to calculate the safe CG position and it is at 118 mm from the LE at the center of the wing, right on the carbon fiber spar. By mounting the battery in the nose under the cowling I think I will not need balast to get the correct CG.
any photos?
Oct 06, 2005, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY GWS
any photos?
Ray

This afternoon I will be painting the aeroplane and I will not post any more photos till the painting is finished.

Ken
Oct 07, 2005, 12:54 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Hi Ken,

Ouch! Unfortunately I can't tell you where but I've seen three wire servo cable somewhere that is very thin by comparison with the "normal" stuff. I imagine the activating current in the small servos we use is very small by comparison with that required for the big servos and planes but everyone seems to use the same cable.

I'm going to be off line for a few days but I'm looking forward to reading your maiden flight report when I get back. Good luck

Roger
Oct 07, 2005, 08:34 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Hi Ken,

Ouch! Unfortunately I can't tell you where but I've seen three wire servo cable somewhere that is very thin by comparison with the "normal" stuff.
Roger
I use phone company wire. Comes twisted in 2 pair and i remove 1 wire.

Very thin, flexi and light.

The only problem is after the heatshrink and solder I bet it's heavier then the extension wire you just bought.....

Oh well, food for thought.

Tommy
Oct 07, 2005, 09:48 PM
Some more photos. The first is of the carbon fiber I used to reinforce the elevator join. This is light and more rigid than the wire joiner supplied in the kit. I used the same system om my GWS Spitfire and its lasted more than 100 flights.

Next are some photos of the painted kit. The underside is all red so that orientation will be easy.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the mounting of the elevator and rudder servos next to the tail. There is only one advantage to this set up, that of short pusrods. The disadvantages are more numerous especially when a lightweight outrunner motor is used so I have decided to move the servos forward to near the wing trailing edge and use 1.5 mm carbon fiber rods set up as a pull-pull linkage.

Ken
Oct 08, 2005, 12:48 AM
Looks great too me :} like a freestyle plane

Im sure it will fly pattern well on lower throws and 3d on max throws
Oct 09, 2005, 03:57 PM
100% electric since 1990
Is the formosa II available yet in the USA?

I have one of these waiting around for it:
Oct 09, 2005, 11:18 PM
Kensp

From your images it looks like there is no top access via the canopy to slide battery's in like there was in the Formosa 1 and instead the battery sits under the wing in a dedicated compartment, Hmmm, this may limit COG options.

How is the compartment closed or secured