Formosa II build thread. - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 03, 2005, 08:59 PM
Here are some more photos. These are comparing my GWS Spitfire with the size of the Formosa II. The Formosa II is just taped together to give me an idea of its size.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Oct 03, 2005 at 09:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2005, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytorino
Is the Formosa II a 3D ship?? I thought it was a pattern plane. Man looking at the ailerons it sure screams 3D.
Acording to the Decal sheet it is.

Ken
Oct 03, 2005, 10:06 PM
Birds do it, bees do it
Ken,

Very nice. Looking forward to your flight report.

Cheers,
Jeff
Oct 04, 2005, 02:56 PM
Are you one of these
Ken check Balsa Products for there ParkBEC, there are 2 models.
Oct 04, 2005, 10:23 PM
New problem.

I tried the motor stick and moter mount for fit and discovered that the EPSD has a different stick to propeller shaft offset. This means that none of the EPS 300 style mounts will work. So this morning I designed a motor mount for fitting brushless outrunners to the Formosa II that eliminates the stick. The stick and the plastic mount weigh 12 grams and my new mount weighs 16 grams but it will allow me to easily mount the speed controller and BEC under the cowl.

Ken
Oct 04, 2005, 11:15 PM
Dance the skies...

Motor Mount

Hi Ken,

A timely post on your motor mount. Just last night I was trying to determine how the stick to thrust line distance on the dual motor frame compared to that on the GWS 400 gear frame (the one I use for mounting my 28mm OD outrunners). Unfortunately, the 400 frame measures about 25mm from the stick centerline to thrust line, 5mm farther. I was hoping you made a mistake and meant to show the 20mm measured from the thrust line to the top of the stick... a perfect fit If (when) I build an FII, I'll just cut the slot 5 mm lower, or make a stick with a 5mm offset and use the stock slot.

Thanks for documenting this detail.

Nice job on your adaptation, BTW

Tom

p.s. Is that cowl any sturdier that the FI cowl (I hope!)
p.s.s. What size cells are in the Sanyo pack... 4/5A? Or perhaps a better question is what are the dimensions of the battery bay?
Oct 04, 2005, 11:17 PM
The fuselage was very easy to join . I use my normal technique of thinning 30 minute epoxy with alcahol and then painting the thinned epoxy onto the join with an artists brush. After the alcahol evaporates this leaves a thin even coat of epoxy on the join. The Formosa II had no tendency to twist while being joined but the join line between the wing and the tailplane needed a number of strips of masking tape to ensure that the join was fully closed.

I placed the rudder hinges in between the halves before joining the fuselage. See photo. This technique should be put in the manual.

Ken
Oct 04, 2005, 11:25 PM
Dance the skies...

GWS - Clarification Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Acording to the Decal sheet it is [3D].

Ken
This raises another question. The decal says "3D version", which implies there is another version (e.g. a pure pattern version, perhaps?). It's also interesting that the decals just say Formosa, NOT Formosa II as it has been billed, and since there already is a flat profile 3D version of the original Formosa, it wouldn't make sense to also call this one the same. Confusing!

Perhaps someone with GWS monitoring this thread can clear this up?
Oct 04, 2005, 11:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
...I placed the rudder hinges in between the halves before joining the fuselage. See photo. This technique should be put in the manual.

Ken
Great idea, Ken. That's what I call thinking ahead! Let's see if this gets put in the manual!
Oct 04, 2005, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Hi Ken,
p.s.s. What size cells are in the Sanyo pack... 4/5A? Or perhaps a better question is what are the dimensions of the battery bay?
The Sanyo pack is a 7 cell 1700 SCR made from sub C cells, the same size as the buggy cells. The battery box is huge 5 3/4 inches x 2 1/4 inches.

Ken
Oct 05, 2005, 04:47 AM
nooobama
I'm kinda dissapointed that it's a 3d plane. I was waiting for this one to come out but now it's just another 3d plane one of so many out there right now.
Oct 05, 2005, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
This raises another question. The decal says "3D version", which implies there is another version (e.g. a pure pattern version, perhaps?). It's also interesting that the decals just say Formosa, NOT Formosa II as it has been billed, and since there already is a flat profile 3D version of the original Formosa, it wouldn't make sense to also call this one the same. Confusing!

Perhaps someone with GWS monitoring this thread can clear this up?

Formosa II is not for 3D. But do have the ability to fly 3D or like TOC.

We will have Formosa 3D -- profile 3D Depron version.
Oct 05, 2005, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by finishman2000
I'm kinda dissapointed that it's a 3d plane. I was waiting for this one to come out but now it's just another 3d plane one of so many out there right now.
do not be disapointed --- We still will have the one you want.
Oct 05, 2005, 12:05 PM
My intial flying of the Formosa II will be with only 100 Watts and this will not be enough to fly E3D. I specififally chose to fly with 100 Watts because this is about the same as the stock EPSD 350 power unit.

This will give a good indication of the capabilities of the Formosa II as a normal patern aeroplane.

Ken
Oct 05, 2005, 12:08 PM
Ken,

Will you have video footage? What is an ETA on when you will fly?