Sep 30, 2005, 01:25 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Thread OP
Build Log

RoughNeck - Trainer/AP Platform

I have drawn and constructed this Trainer/AP platform from a combination of planes I have seen on several sites. It is an easy build and uses both Blue Core and Pink Insulation.
I maidened the plane last night and it flew really well and very slow---just right for the beginer pilot or to get those good aerial shots close in. I used 1 of my CRD motors that I would and a 2S lipo. Upon hand launch a slight toss and she was in the air. A few clicks of up elevator and she was trimmed perfectly. The wind was blowing about 5mph and after I made a few circles I headed her into the wind and throttled back into a nice horizontal hover. Just a little up elevator and she flew stable with little forward movement. Loops were possible, but a dive was required for some increased speed. When placed into a stall the plane just mushed without any dipping or tipping.
I will post photos later, but I wanted to provide the plans for anyone who wanded to try to build this slow flyer. Blue core could be used to make a box fuse, but I had the pink on hand and wanted to try it. Plenty of ridgidity with out a lot of weight and the pink foam sands nice to make shapes.
AUW with 1300 2S is 14.4 oz.
Have fun and I will post photos later. C-YA RL
Last edited by geigerr; Dec 28, 2005 at 08:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2005, 02:56 PM
Whats that black stuff under the wings?
Sep 30, 2005, 04:31 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWFAMI
Whats that black stuff under the wings?
Just black paint for orientation. Oh there is a CF rod in the wing for reinforcement.
C-YA RL
Sep 30, 2005, 08:23 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!

nice !!

Looks like the hacker Tough Boy I just got for my kid !

Nice job.

BB
Sep 30, 2005, 09:03 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow1717
Looks like the hacker Tough Boy I just got for my kid !

Nice job.

BB
I modeled it after that and the EZ Star. It was an easy build and I had a lot of fun doing it. Approximate cost for the airframe $5.00 and the most of that cost was the CF in the wing. I am into 3D already, but the RoughNeck is a fun and relaxing flyer. I may mount a wireless nanny cam on it as I have an extra 1.
I hope you and your kid have fun with the Tough Boy.
C-YA RL
Last edited by geigerr; Sep 30, 2005 at 09:26 PM.
Sep 30, 2005, 09:23 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Thread OP
A few more photos with some paiint and the decals attached.
Enjoy C-YA RL
Nov 03, 2005, 10:44 AM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Thread OP

New Video

I have compiled a video of the RoughNeck in flight.
Enjoy C-YA RL
http://media.putfile.com/RoughNeck or
http://www.zippyvideos.com/512606795...hneck/*geigerr
Last edited by geigerr; Nov 03, 2005 at 11:09 AM.
Nov 03, 2005, 12:00 PM
Spring time, planes bloom
It looks like a great trainer, I am thinking this is what I need to build since I haven't been too lucky with my other builds, the only thing I can build are CD motors :P HAA HAA
Nov 03, 2005, 01:51 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecologito
It looks like a great trainer, I am thinking this is what I need to build since I haven't been too lucky with my other builds, the only thing I can build are CD motors :P HAA HAA
It is the easiest flyer in my fleet, and I REALY enjoy flying it. It will fly in 10mph winds or go as slow as walking speed if you want it to. I have a nanny cam mounted on the nose and downlink video whenever I fly it at our field.
It is not very aerobatic, but it will loop with some nose over first. All of my other planes have fixed wings, but this 1 is rubber banded on for easy transport. It is not my prettiest, but it's a keeper.
Good luck and have fun. C-YA RL
Nov 03, 2005, 01:58 PM
tissue for issue
i like! like a little version of my ugly star, might have to do one of these. im sure i could nose this into the ground like all the others! weeeee! i suck!!! but i dont care, im good at repairs!!!
Nov 03, 2005, 02:05 PM
You deserve my opinion
Nice job! Looks like a gentle trainer. There's something very relaxing about slow flying foam!
Nov 03, 2005, 02:55 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
looks cool. the only thing it needs is big ballon wheels!
Nov 03, 2005, 04:44 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMx
looks cool. the only thing it needs is big ballon wheels!
If you look close you can see them. They are close to and just at the bottom of the fuse below the Canopy
C-YA RL
Jul 10, 2006, 09:25 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Thread OP
I made a set of foam floats for the ROUGHNECK, and it flys real nice from the water.
Still having fun with it
C-YA RL
Jul 12, 2006, 08:12 AM
These are always too shor
Great plane, I sent you a PM.

Quick Reply