Sep 29, 2005, 10:12 AM

Gentle Lady pics from all over the U.S.

I have been flying my new Gentle Lady for about 4 months all over the U.S. I built it especially to travel. The main wings comes apart into two pieces and the tail is a full-flying horizontal stab that is removeable. The whole thing fits into a cardboard box that can be checked on commercial airplane flights. It has traveled back and forth across the country several times with no damage so far.

I added flaps that I modded into combination speed-brakes/flaps. They do a great job of safely dropping the plane into a very tight space for landing. The motor started out as a speed 400 with 4:1 planetary gearbox, but I have upgraded to a speed 600 and it now has a 3:1 planetary gearbox. That has really helped the high altiitude flying. I have a Pencam SD with a switch from Mr RC-Cam in it.

I have been very happy with most of the pics from this setup. The Pencam very much likes bright light, so I gave up trying to capture images late or early in the day with that camera.

Below are some of the better images I have taken in the last four months. If anyone is thinking of a good, inexpensive AP ship, this is the way to go.

Chris
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2005, 10:15 AM
These pics were taken in June and August in Carr Canyon in the Huachuca mountains in Arizona at about 7000 feet.
Sep 29, 2005, 10:18 AM
These images were taken at Coronado National Monument on the border with Mexico in June. The parking area at the top makes a great place to launch and slope soar on either side of the pass.

Opps. Photo #2 is from Carr Canyon, about 10 miles north of Coronado.
Last edited by chrisgood; Sep 29, 2005 at 11:44 AM.
Sep 29, 2005, 10:20 AM
These images were taken at Chiricahua National Monument in Arizona at about 7000 feet.
Last edited by chrisgood; Sep 29, 2005 at 11:42 AM.
Sep 29, 2005, 10:23 AM
These images were taken over the New River Gorge Bridge in West Virginia. The visitor's center has a small field just big enough for launch and landing. You can't see the gorge or bridge from the field, so you have to judge where the plane is to take pics.
Last edited by chrisgood; Sep 29, 2005 at 10:41 AM.
Sep 29, 2005, 10:23 AM
Looks great chris.. I like the gentle lady, my dad has had several and they fly pretty nice. If I had one, it would have to have kevlar covering.. Me and balsa don't get along to well
Sep 29, 2005, 10:26 AM
These images were taken over the Cherohala Skyway in North Carolina. It is similar to Skyline Drive in Virginia, but much less traveled. It crosses from Tennessee to North Carolina and is named for the Cherokee and Nantahala National Forests.
Sep 29, 2005, 10:28 AM
These images were taken over the Chicamagua Dam in Chattanooga, Tennesee.
Sep 29, 2005, 10:34 AM
Finally, here are some shots from San Diego last week. These were taken over the Ted Williams Parkway and I-15 interchange. There is a small park there perfect for flying. The last image is actually two shots merged by Autostitch.
Sep 29, 2005, 10:55 AM
pics of the ap ship???

I would love to see pics, as I am going to get my old GL out, and try to do what you're describing.
Sep 29, 2005, 11:28 AM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Chris - Those are amazing pictures! Man, you must get to travel a lot and having a portable AP ship must be wonderful. I'd like to see pics of you setup too.

I have a Aiptek 1.3 SD and I've found that you can really improve the look of your photos with some simple post processing using the free DCE (Digital Camera Enhancer) from Mediachance

DC Enhancer is especially good at getting rid of that typical blue haze you see in a lot of digital pictures and it can boost the colors and sharpness too. I'm a big fan of this guy's software and highly suggest giving it a try. Its super easy to use, once you get the settings the way you want them, just load and save each picture. I tried it on a couple of your shots and you can see the difference it makes. Everyone has their own taste, but to me they look even better than the originals. Great pictures either way.

Love to see more of your AP shots.

Gary D.
Sep 29, 2005, 11:54 AM
Great shots Chris. I'm also interested in the modifications you made to your model.

And thank you Gary for the link to the post processing software. I just tried it on a couple of my shots, and I think it's amazing!

-Bob
Sep 29, 2005, 12:02 PM
Thank you for nice comments. I will take pics of the plane tonight and post them. I also appreciate the image enhancement link - it looks like it does a good job sharpening the pictures. I will try it out.

Chris
Sep 30, 2005, 08:28 AM
Here are some shots of the modded Gentle Lady. You can see the plane taken apart in the first shot. The ones that follow show the flaps up and deployed from various angles.
Sep 30, 2005, 08:33 AM
And a few more shots...

Here is the full flying stab setup and the center wing details. I have the stab on two steel wires. The back one is the pivot and the front one moves up and down to control incidence. It is held in place by two small wheel collars on the front steel wire, one on each side.

The wing halves are joined by two carbon fiber spars. When together, there are two small fences on each half and the rubber bands that hold the wing on to the fuselage are placed on the outside of the fences and keep the wing halves together.