Sep 27, 2005, 03:48 PM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP

Adrian Britton 28" Hawker Hurricane

I was "chatting" to Adrian about his Hurricane and he kindly scaled it up to 28" modifying the plan so the servos etc. still fitted. This came in a DWG format. Adrian wrote that no one had done a thread on the Hurricane at either size and asked to do one so here we go.

Firstly Fellside precision cutting, here in the UK, cut out for me into a short kit. This comprises of the wing ribs, all the formers even down to the wing jig to set the dihederal/washout.
www.fellsideprecisioncutting.co.uk

The plan is for a direct drive S400 but I am considering brushless, a Typhoon 6 or a Hyperion and 2 or 3 cell Li/po.

This was my first experience with CNC cutting and what can I say, excellent

First of all the wing is built, with the wing being 28" it required three sections of balsa for the lower wing sheeting. The wing is fully sheeted. This was not done by Fellside but is not a problem. I simply pushed pins through the plan to give me the shape and cut them out. Fastening the sheets together with cyno. The plan recommends 1/32" sheet, but that is not available at my LHS so used their lightest 1/16".
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2005, 04:01 PM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP
Once the root ribs were in place, vertical for the centre section, set at an angle for the two outer wings the 3/32" square balsa spars were inserted and cyno'd into place. The other wing ribs just drop onto these. The 3/16 x 3/8" false leading edge is then glued on. Over this goes the leading edge sheeting. As this is glued on Adrian recommends putting some of the wash out in ready for the wing joining and the rear upper sheeting put on.
This can just be seen in the above picture.
Adrian has "7 steps to aileron heaven" which are again very easy but I completed this before I purchased my digital camera to show you. Sorry.
I have taken some closeups to try and make ammends
First of all the rear spar has an extra section of scrap 3/32" placed on top in the area of the ailerons. At the LE of what will be the ailerons is placed a section of 3/16 x 1/8 as I had some scrap and some continuation of the ribs, again in scrap.
Once this is done I used a razor saw the open up the aileron gap at the inside of the wing. This allowed the ailerons to be pushed down slightly opening up the gap between the spars. The modeling knife is inserted down the gap and hey presto ailerons, fully braced up etc.
At this point Adrian suggests using carbon rod as a torque rod to drive them from a central servo, the aileron end being fastened by cyno soaked tissue onto a small square of scrap liteply let into them.
Sounds complicated but was very easy.
Sep 28, 2005, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrider
....Over this goes the leading edge sheeting. As this is glued on Adrian recommends putting some of the wash out in ready for the wing joining and the rear upper sheeting put on.
Adrian has "7 steps to aileron heaven" which are again very easy....
You are doing a grand job there MT!

Fellside must have done a pretty special job for you too, if the parts were to fit as easily as you say. The drawings have to be absolutely precise for CNC, even allowing 1/10th of a millimetre clearance for rib/to/spar slots, say I didn't draw it all that well!!

The washout is essential, though not quite as much would be needed as the design is enlarged. Once the LE sheet is applied it would be very difficult to adjust.....

Here's that aileron thing updated....missed a step somewhere

Look forward to more news. My little 26" proto flew well enough to still be upstairs undamaged, except for a hole in the wing, shaped exactly like the starboard front paw of my cat Oblivia
Sep 28, 2005, 03:27 AM
Consider a long can 480 or even permax 450T and 3s LIPO 2200 mA/h.

I have tried those on my 30" span piccolo from galaxy, and its -er - breath taking. Model weighs in around 18oz and the permax runs at 18A and about 10v...160W/lb.

It grounded right now after a broken prop and complaints from my wife about the quality of underwear coming back in to the wash..

The permax 450 is very good for noseweight..

For sake keep the control surface movements small and roll out with lots of negative expo as well. These small fast models are the dickens to fly unless you can reduce sensitivity ....

The piccolo on a 6x3 folder (disintegrated) and a 5.5x4.5 APC (DID try 6x4, slightly, better climb) and the 450T is not quite unlimited vertical, but will pull three vertical rolls and do about 70mph on the flat. Only way to turn in a tight space bordered by trees is to pull it straight up to a half loop and a roll off the top.

If all that is a bit too much, you can use a 7.2v 400 and a 3s LIPO pack (1200 or so) with 5.5x4.5 to pull a more modest 9A or so, and still get very good flying performance at less weight.

Given the likelihood of lawndarting it at some stage, and the need for noseweight, spending pounds on an expensive light motor is really a bit silly IMHO. With LIPOS its easy to get a very decent power to weight...and bags of duration...only other point is to find a smashed EPP model or some depron and put a crumple zone ahead of the pack....belly landing is a big G manouever, and packs sliding forward onto e.g. motor brushes make for expensive replacements....
Sep 28, 2005, 11:52 AM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP
Vint,
Thanks again for the motor advice, I was hoping to keep below 10 amps as I have
1, a 10amp cont. 2S Li/po 1200 Kokam kicking around doing nothing
2, a suitable 10 amp cont. brushless controller.
I do need some more 3S Li/po after one went puff and burnt the Lysander down however This left me with a spare 15amp 3S brushed controller spare as well, so the 7.2V S400 may be good and Very cheap if the nose weight will be a problem.
I was worried about the lack of clearance around the front of the model for mounting an outrunner. The spinner is 36mm and the Hurricane tapers off rather nicely after this. My LHS does not have any suitable motors in at the present to try one for size over the plan and I read they are around 33mm in diameter.
Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted (except a Mega, too expensive)
Sep 28, 2005, 05:03 PM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP
Done a little more this evening finished making up the ailerons. Adrian you missed out the carbon rod from the pictures. I have some pictures of these but the closeup is a little washed out. Let me know if the pictures could be better quality. I will download at a higher rate.
Sep 30, 2005, 02:50 AM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP
Here is the port aileron installed, the dark green is Solartex as hinging. I have used this before on a 6' Piper Cub (these are the left overs) and like it. Slots are cut in the ribs, towards the centre section for the carbon rod. The yellow section, inboard, is a piece of spare outer snake used as a bushing to locate the rod.
Sep 30, 2005, 02:58 AM
CNC Cutting
Hio Mark,

Seems to be going together really well. Have you decided on a power set-up yet?

Graham
Sep 30, 2005, 03:09 AM
if you have a 2s setup free, use that with a 6v 400 and meter it to about 10A...

My guess is that will be a Gunther, 5x5 or 6x4 sort of prop.

Very sad to hear about Lysander...that was lovely..

No point in spending money on one of Ade's designs - even he crashes them all eventually
Sep 30, 2005, 10:52 AM

Striving for the Spectacular Finale of Every Flight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
No point in spending money on one of Ade's designs - even he crashes them all eventually
All my crashes are true to scale!! ....so I've been told many a time.... I do them better than any landing!! Best way of liberating servos etc for the next project

My excuse is cyano fuming onto my specs

Funny, Mark and Graham. That's just what I was doing this morning - hingeing my ailerons with solartex sandwich again. Using a dirty colour is just the job for a camouflaged model

I don't advise using the CF torque rods on anything much bigger than such a model as this. I am still quite flattered that you've done it according to my designed structure, and it will be fine. I used ally toob on my Mew Gull at 37" span to save buying a pair of servos though. Would be nice to find a good lightweight "snake" to suit our games.

Now Graham - can you sell our friend a little "Typhoon" installation package?

Ade
Sep 30, 2005, 12:05 PM
CNC Cutting
Ade,

Typhoon mount will be on its way soon for the Spitfire. Speed 400 mount for the Hurricane.

Typhoon micro 6 20t, 1250 2 cell Lipo and 8 x 6 prop works well as a light weight power system in my Ryan Hellcat warbird. The model is slightly larger than your designs. Setup has more power than sp 400 and flys for over 10 mins.

Graham
Sep 30, 2005, 12:27 PM
Sorry... moved my message to a new topic.
Last edited by JustPlaneChris; Sep 30, 2005 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Moved message to new topic
Sep 30, 2005, 01:48 PM

Let's Enlarge on This a Bit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellside
-Typhoon micro 6 20t, 1250 2 cell Lipo and 8 x 6 prop works well as a light weight power system in my Ryan Hellcat warbird. The model is slightly larger than your designs -
One of the reasons why my designs were that small was because the magazines weren't big enough!!

What Spitfire? ...

Sounds about the ticket for MT's Hurri though, and compares well with Vinto's suggestions. He knows what he's talking about.

But, then the 400 with an 8.4 nimh AAA pack, hauled my proto Hurricane around pretty nippy like, a couple of Summers ago. Keith Pyrah of my Club (Gaer Park MFC) built up a 30" span ME 109, enlarged slightly from my plan and 400 powered. It flew great. Of course, I crashed mine and then had it published so that I could see whether it would have flown or not

Nite Nite!

Ade
Sep 30, 2005, 03:44 PM
CNC Cutting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Britton

What Spitfire? ...

Ade
Ade

Sorry for the confusion

I CNC`ed Mark a set of parts for your 28" Spitfire plan as well as the Hurricane that we are discussing here. Iím sure there will be a build thread on that one as well once the Hurricane is finished.

Graham
Sep 30, 2005, 04:32 PM
I have been looking for a good Hurricane plan myself. I just love these planes. No one in the US wants to build one.

Quick Reply