Sep 26, 2005, 01:27 PM
Thread OP

What RX for a GP 2m Spirit sailplane?

What receiver should I put into it?
I have a Futaba 6 channel FM radio on 35Mhz
I have a 2 servo set up

What RX do you recommend?
Needs to be FM, I prefer Futaba, want something that is relatively cheap.

Between NiCad and NiMH what RX battery do you recommend?

Thanks for the suggestions.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2005, 12:17 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
personally i would use the R114F, the fact that it is in a sail plane would not reqiire paying the extra hog for a dual conversion Rx. the single conversion R114F which is 30mm x 25mm x 15mm (approx) is adequate.

as regards the battery set up, My advice would be to use a 4-cell cradle to allow the use of either 1.2v rechargable monocells (which would be cheaper to buy than the shrink wrapped affairs as you can get the monocells from super markets. - UNIROSS make some good ones at 2000mah), or if you are REALLY stuck, you could get some 1.5v single shot batteries like duracell, which would get you out of the sticky stuff if you forgot to charge the rechargables!

now the question of battery types, (hydrides or ni-cads), it does not make a difference, a 1.2v 2000mah is still a 1.2v 2000mah. ni-cad and ni-mh chargers can be charged in the same charger but be careful NOT to charge Ni-cads and Ni-mh cells at the same time, try to charge ni-mh with ni-mh , with ni-cads being charged with ni-cads.

a 2000mah should keep you up all day if there is enough wind!
Sep 27, 2005, 10:00 PM
wind? wind? its not a sloper... its a thermaller, you stay up if there are enough thermals
Sep 29, 2005, 11:53 AM
sorry slope, I bow to you
Sep 29, 2005, 01:52 PM
Now, back on topic... Any rx pretty much will do, that thing produces nil interference...
Sep 30, 2005, 12:51 AM
The Futaba R114F is a receiver with limited range, more suitable to parkfliers. Might not be the best choice if you want to fly a 2 meter far up and away. A regular size Futaba would be a better choice, or if you want smaller, lighter and full range (and also at a very attractive price), look into the new JR RS6UL negative shift RX (for Futaba/Hitec). This one has the same range as the big guys.
Oct 11, 2005, 06:27 AM
Thread OP
Does anyone know what Rx they use in the RTF version of the Spirit 2M?
Have others experience range problems with the R114F receiver?
I am new to the sport and at the moment I am guessing that I will keep the ship close in ....but then who knows?
Oct 13, 2005, 01:26 PM
Thread OP
What regular size Futaba RX is recommended for a 2M Spirit glider?
Oct 13, 2005, 04:49 PM
try the R136F i have one and its pretty bomb proof
Oct 14, 2005, 01:44 AM
In my Spirit Elite 2M glider, I'm using a JR R700 receiver. That's 7 channels, and I'm using 6 of them. Bulletproof.

So much so that I now have R700's in my two sailing boats, My Spirit Elite, my First+ 2M glider (full house) and my First 2M (R/E only). No glitches seen so far.

- Becsta
Oct 17, 2005, 01:19 PM
Thread OP
After not so careful consideration I have decided on a second hand Hitec Electron 6 receiver: good price; dual conversion; lightweight...
Now I just need to find a channel 72 for my Futaba Tx

thanks for all the suggestions
Oct 18, 2005, 02:05 PM
Perfecting pilot error
The Electron 6 should work very well for you. I use an Electron 6 in my GP Spectra (electric version of the Spirit) with a Futaba 7CAP TX and it has been bulletproof so far. I've had my Spectra up to some scary (for me) altitudes in a few thermals and never had a bit of trouble from the Electron 6.

I've had a few Futaba R114F's but found my usual flying field is a bit noisy for them and most any other single conversion RX (Berg's excluded) so they're now used for bench testing and close-in parkflyers.

My preferred RX for anything it will fit in is an Electron 6.

Louis
Oct 24, 2005, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
How should I fit this tiny little blue beauty the Electron 6, should I tape it on the side; or cover it with receiver packing?
how do you fit yours?
Oct 24, 2005, 04:22 PM
Perfecting pilot error
I stuck mine down to the bottom of the fuse in front of the servos with a bit of velcro with the antenna facing the rear of the fuse.

The foam it comes with is OK and I used to use it in my Spectra, but I've now added spoilers and have to mess with servo connections when I take the wing off so it's a bit of a pain with the foam wrapped around the RX.

Louis

Quick Reply