Jul 13, 2001, 02:33 AM
Flying slowly along..

Old timer, kit suggestions please

After playing around with some faster stuff, I'm kind of being attracted to older "classic" looking airplanes. I recently purchased a Brummi, which is the same as a Hummel. I'm interested in building other old timer looking kits and would appreciate any suggestions you guys might have.

I've seen a plane called a Commadore fly, and I really liked it. I believe that this particular model was over 20 years old!! It was in beautiful shape. I believe it was a converted gas plane. Have any of you heard of that particular plane? ----Rob
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2001, 06:16 AM
http://www.benbucklevintage.com/
Jul 13, 2001, 08:27 AM
Tork it or Dork it
Check out the Quaker. from www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com
They make a 54 and 96 inch wingspan one both for electric. My dad is soon building his. He has the Quaker 54. He is going to use the Graupner 1700 series 2.3:1 gear drive and 6V400, on 8x600ae, and 9x5 slim prop. It is a very nice kit. Every thing is cut out.
The Miss2 is a very nice arf electric oldtimer. I have one and like it very much! Just for floating around, can do much.
Jul 13, 2001, 08:37 AM
Visitor from Reality
Rob
Check out:
http://www.soy.on.ca/planes.html

They don't seem to have updated their site recently, but announced a couple of S400 sized versions of their OT kits. One was the Viking, I recall.

20 years old model - barely broke-in! For a first try at an OT, you may want to go with a modern kit that's already updated for RC. "True" vintage/OT kits and plans can require a fair degree of building / fixin' / problem solving

Dereck
Jul 13, 2001, 09:04 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Ben Buckle kits certainly bear out Dereck's description- they're umm challenging, especially with regard to accuracy of plans, parts, bending music wire for gear, etc.

Recently I just finished rebuilding a 50 inch Buzzard Bombshell for electric- this airplane flies very well- is even mildly aerobatic, and is a little smaller than some of the others mentioned. I'm flying it on a Turbo 450 motor, 7.5 x 4 inch folder, and a 7 cell CP 1300 pack for an all up weight of about 28 ounces or so. Climbs are at a steep angle, but not particularly quick. The kit is available at Penn Valley Hobby Center (www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com)- and is a much easier build than a Ben Buckle. Note- I have the Ben Buckle Super Skorpion- which is simply one of the best flying old timers I've ever seen. Also note that in the smaller sizes- the R/N kits of things like the Mercury, or Comet Clipper Mk. II (around 34" or so and at 7 ounces) with a Speed 280 make really sweet park flyers.

Sam Brauer
Norwalk, CT
Jul 13, 2001, 06:40 PM
look at the miss2. possibly at hobby-lobby.
it is an ot updated for eflite. it is a balsa arf really beautiful.
do aosearch on miss 2 and miss2.
ez
Jul 13, 2001, 06:44 PM
look at the miss2. possibly at hobby-lobby.
it is an ot updated for eflite. it is a balsa arf really beautiful.
do aosearch on miss 2 and miss2.
ez
Jul 13, 2001, 06:49 PM
Are you interested in REAL OLD TIMER airplanes.

I am converting one of the RN Models .020 Free Flight kits to electric RC. It has a 36" wingspan. I plan to power it with a 4:1 S280.

I have one wing finished. I hope to fly it at a old timer fun fly next month.

Robbie
Jul 13, 2001, 11:10 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Has anyone tried the newtimer? It's a ARF that has classic old timer looks. I've been considering one for a while now.

Al
Jul 14, 2001, 08:12 PM
Flying slowly along..
Dereck. I can't get the link to work, Can you get me the address?---Rob
Jul 14, 2001, 08:37 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Check out Klarich custom kits. I just received a 44 in Request, 45 in Rambler, Comet Interceptor and two Beshar Foxes. THe Request is a real beauty it looks like a Coronet but with a rounded belly.

Check out the "California Condor" for his suggestions (EUT)
Jul 15, 2001, 09:51 AM
I have to also recommend the RN models for R/C conversion. I'm finishing a Brooklyn Dodger conversion now. If you build carefully, these models can use Lite Stick gear. http://www.freeflightmodels.com/ The kit is really simple to build! Let us know how it goes. My dodger is coming in at 5.5 oz! Brian
Jul 15, 2001, 10:55 AM
I'll have the roast duck
Hey bthomass, great site, just wish I could see some pics of these old guys