Oct 30, 2005, 09:58 AM

supermarine s 4

JIm i found this, hope it helps. Also after i am done with the SM 55 i would like to build an SM 65 about 70-80 inch ws.I could use all the info there is on this plane. Thanks Joe
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2005, 11:42 AM
can you land on that ?
Did you spot the wrong title to the page on the Short "Crusader" ? Nice detail of the pilot`s hatch open.
Oct 30, 2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks Arrow , you are right I did not spot the error.That is a Short Crusader. Not an S4 .Do any museums in England have data on the S4?
Oct 30, 2005, 05:27 PM
can you land on that ?
Joe, I think the best starting place might be Solent Sky Aviation Museum in Southampton where the S6b resides. They have archives. www.spitfireonline.co.uk also the Royal Air Force Museum at Hendon ( the pilots were members of the RAF High Speed Flight ).www.rafmuseum.org.uk The Royal Aero Club archives can be examined there too.
Last edited by arrow5; Oct 30, 2005 at 05:36 PM.
Oct 30, 2005, 07:39 PM
Designer/Builder
Thanks for the S-4 stuff, Joe.

The 3-view has the dimensions, and that was what I was missing. The color plate helps with the markings. I've got 4 pages on the S.65 now, plus the 3-view I found on line. Send me a PM with your address and I'll copy them off for you. You are welcome to the final outline I come up with in AutoCAD. You could scale it to any size and from there fill in your structure.

-Jim
Last edited by Jim Young; Oct 31, 2005 at 06:24 AM.
Oct 31, 2005, 06:28 AM

Sm 65

more Sm 65 pictures.
Oct 31, 2005, 07:16 AM
Joe,
these pics seem to be a mix of the two plans above. Can someone really say for sure how the S65 looked in real?

Kuni
Oct 31, 2005, 09:28 AM
Well, that's the million dollar question. JIm has more drawings on the 65. I am waiting to see his build.Kuni please look in the scale section i am starting to do my SM 55 build and i have an enginering question to you Joe
Oct 31, 2005, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
The cross section of the centre of the fuselage pod in those two models is too square. It should be quite triangular. This is from photos and the S.65 drawing that Jim posted above.

Martin
Oct 31, 2005, 01:58 PM
Designer/Builder

S.65 ???

Hi All,

I worked a bit on the S.65 drawings at lunch today. I had already scanned in the first 3-view and traced it out. Now I loading in the new 3-view and started to compare things. From the photos I got from Keith, the second 3-view has some real errors. I think the first 3-view got the tail right, but the fuse is rather short and thin. The second 3-view has a much longer and more streamline fuse which matches the photos better. The wing cord does not match on either if these 3-views, but I'll probably stick with the wider cord on the first one to give a larger area.

Further, there is a big difference in the height of the fuselage off of the floats, and the overall shape of the floats.

In the end, I am going to merge the two drawings the best I can to make an asthetically pleasing model.

Ahhh! The fun of scale projects! And I haven't even started cutting balsa yet! Who's idea was this!

-Jim

P.S. Martin is right about the model photos you found. I came across those and the first 2 are really bad. The 3rd one is okay and looks like it was done off of the first 3-view I found. The photos I got now show a much longer fuse and real needle for the rear spinner.
Oct 31, 2005, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
Jim, I have a couple of drawings that I'll send to you. One is from "Schneider Trophy Aircraft" by Derek N James (Putnam) and the other is from "Schneider Trophy Racers" by Robert Hirsch (Motorbooks). There are a number of good photos as well.

There are photos showing two different vertical stabilizers. The horizontal stabilizer in the second drawing is closer to these two drawings.

I'll get them in the mail tomorrow.

Martin
Oct 31, 2005, 08:50 PM
Suspended Account
S.65 from Hirsch
Oct 31, 2005, 09:18 PM
Designer/Builder
Hi Guys,

Thanks Martin, I appreciate it. More photos can only help. Eljimbo, I got that one from Keith too. It must be an early version (they worked on this thing for years) since it only has one strut at the rear of the floats!

From the photos, the outside of the elevator wraps around the tail booms, but I don't think it goes as far forward at the front of the stab (as drawn in the first 3-view). But the shape of this "counter balance" is totally wrong in the second 3-view, but the length may be right. I can tell the shape from the photos I have, but they are all taken from 1/4 views, so picking out some of these details is rather hard.

The stuff on the S4 I got from Keith is great. There is a pure side shot and an almost head on shot that really answer a lot of questions. Now if I could only find a good 3-view!

I'll post my outline and let you guys take pot shots at it, to see where I screwed up!

-Jim
Nov 02, 2005, 04:41 AM
Hi,

here
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alain.vassel/sommaire.htm
you can find some very good stuff about S65 and Piaggio/Pegna PC7!
Included are plans for the PC7 and 3-Views for S65.

Kuni
Nov 02, 2005, 06:46 AM
Designer/Builder
Hi Kuni,

This link is fantastic! Thanks!

-Jim

Quick Reply