Oct 27, 2005, 01:59 PM
OK Jim, now we know it can be done! 1200W for a 2m X 2m plane sounds about right.

Martin
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2005, 03:04 PM
Martin,
the guy that built this model did it fly with two right-running props. It worked, but is not scale. I would highly recommend contra-rotating props, with the front one one inch more dia, and one inch less pitch. Maybe the rear motor a bit higher rpm.
My S55 flies fine; I had to find this out on a long series of measuring. Oh, my model weights 2,4kg, and has 500 Watts at around 80% eta. Props are 10x5 and 9x6 left APC-slimer props.

Kuni
Oct 27, 2005, 07:28 PM
Kuni .any chance of that Savoia having a plan. That is one great looking photo. Maybe on year i'll take my vacation in Austriato see that meet.Joe
Oct 27, 2005, 08:20 PM
Designer/Builder
Hi Kuni,

Very cool! I think my mind is made up. I don't think the counter rotating props will be a big problem. APC has a nice selection and I should be able to find a pair that works fine.

Do you have any hints on the control hookup? I'm thinking of a lot of flex tubes and cables.

It will be one piece, but that is not a problem for the wife's minivan.

-Jim

P.S. I may be in Stuttgart, Germany next month if we get this new contract. I've been slope soaring near Weilmdorf, and visited the Aspach site.
Oct 27, 2005, 09:16 PM
Designer/Builder

S.65 3-view

Here is my first cut at a 3-view of the S.65. This was from a 3-view I found online, but it didn't match the photos I had too well. I'll see what Keith finds in his library and clean it up from there.

-Jim
Oct 27, 2005, 11:25 PM
Joe,
no chance to get them. I asked the guy, but he wont get them away. A pity
Thats why I would like to get the Jack-Bale plan.

For the controls he did use snakes rods, but I would prefer scale-like pull-pull cables. Like on my S55 they can run along the booms aft to the tail.
You can remove the wings easily on this model, outside the booms. It was so on the big model.
Maybe you can get Varioprops; they have superb left-turning 10inch blades, but only for the biggest hub, 12C. Maybe the front motor can turn left?
Just to confuse you all a bit more, here is a pic of a prototype I have running for a year now:
Oct 28, 2005, 07:42 PM
Martin,
I just happened onto this thread and got a bit excited. I've always been a fan of Schneider Cup racers. I was going to try to make it up to the Kingston this past spring for the WWI fly-in but the weather didn't cooperate. Now you guys are doing anther one of my interests.
Are you keeping it to scale or are approximations going to be allowed. The reason I ask is because the Great Planes electric Ryan is a good start on a "Schneider Cup" type plane. I have one and it flies great. With a little modification it could be made to look like an appropriate era plane. (Drop the kit's cowl and make a new one with those great looking cylinder banks on the front.) Of course floats would be added.
If not that's ok, I'll dig around for plans and lirk here watching what develops.
Dave
(just across the lake & east of Rochester)
Oct 28, 2005, 08:21 PM
Owner - Flying Models
Well, I am not Martin, but here is my take on your question. It seems that in the spirit of the event the stock GP Ryan on floats would be inappropriate, but if you stripped it, reworked some outlines, replaced the cowl, and got it close enough to be recognizably a Curtiss, Macchi or Supermarine whatever, then it would be welcome. I would expect that you might find that the reworking effort might be similar to starting out at the beginning and just building a new model.

just my opinion.

Thayer
Oct 28, 2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the comments Thayer. My design skills are no where near yours. I figure that the GP Ryan would be a good start and I could modify it pretty easily.
Dave
Oct 28, 2005, 08:50 PM
Owner - Flying Models
Dave,

And I am nowhere near some of the modelers whose names we all recognize. The thing is, the more projects you try on your own, the better you'll get, and your personal satisfaction will blow through the roof.Having the only model of its type in the world is an incredible feeling. It may not be as clean as the latest ARF from overseas, but it will be better than anyone else's!

All the Daddy-O feedback at the NEAT Fair was fantastic. The best part was knowing it was sooooo easy to fly, and handing the transmitter to anyone who would take it. Everyone was smiling, and no one got close to scaring me while they were flying it. I would bet I could have sold a car full of them if I had them, but then it wouldn't be the same, would it.

I say mod the Ryan, and take a little extra effort to go beyond where you are comfortable now. Push yourself a little on this one, and the next step will be easier still.

Thayer
Oct 28, 2005, 09:22 PM
Ditto. Joe
Oct 29, 2005, 08:25 PM
JIm did you find any good drawings of the S65??I have been surfing the webb and could not come up with anything. Joe
Oct 29, 2005, 09:07 PM
Hi Dave:
Thayer is right, we are trying to keep things pretty scale. I wonder if you were to take the Ryan and look at some of the Macchi racers, whether you could modify. They have constant chord wings and with some mods, perhaps the Ryan could be made to work.

Having seen some of your work, (Albatros DVa), I'm sure you could do it.

Martin
Oct 29, 2005, 09:47 PM
Dave, I had a thought. I've got a plan for a Sopwith Schneider. It's more your era isn't it? Like a copy?

Martin
Oct 30, 2005, 06:19 AM
Designer/Builder
Joe & Kuni,

I met with Keith yesterday and he had one 3-view of the S.65 and it conflicts with the other 3-view I found online. The good news is that there were also a lot of photos of the full scale S.65, so you can figure it out. Between the 2 sets I should be able to come up with something that looks right, but the documentation will be a mess! You're welcome to copies of what I have, or I can scan them in and post them here.

I'm pretty set on doing the S.65 for this event, and I may try a larger Supermarine S4 for the SkyMasters Float flies. I have a AF25 laying around that could use a home. Keith had one 3-view of the S4, but the tail was screwed up (does not match photos), and there are no dimensions on the drawing or in the article. If anyone has anything more on the S4, I'd appreciated it.

-Jim
Last edited by Jim Young; Oct 30, 2005 at 06:32 AM.

Quick Reply