Oct 24, 2005, 07:17 AM
designer/builder
I was thinking the same thing Martin!

Figured maybe this was a shot without any gear in it.

Very nice plane in a beautifull part of the world.

Rob
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2005, 12:11 PM
can you land on that ?
So more inspiration then..... an Arrow`s Kits Supermarine (semi scale) fibre-glass fuz and floats for 60 2st glo,foam & veneer wings,glassed, auto rattle-can spray,race number and reg not applied at that stage. Photographed at Calshot ex RAF High Speed Sqn base,venue for final Schneider race. The hangar with aircraft murals is a sports centre now with banked cycle track etc. The castle is a museum.
Oct 24, 2005, 12:17 PM
can you land on that ?
....and summer one of the "Crusader" showing wing and tail shapes.
Oct 25, 2005, 05:38 AM
Designer/Builder
Now I see why Keith wants to do the Crusader! Nice photos.

Any shots of the S6B? Or can you tell me what shape the tail is? I have four 3-views now of the S6B, and two show a straight leading edge and two show the tail as an oval!?!?!

-confused in Michigan
Oct 25, 2005, 07:00 AM
can you land on that ?
Jim,The one above was oval. I`ll try to find photos. Remember it was semi-scale.
Oct 25, 2005, 11:42 AM
Designer/Builder

S6B Outline

Hi Guys,

Here's what I've got drawn so far on the S6B. I'm a bit scared of all the radiator's on this plane. I know that this is supposed to be sport scale, but they are a big part of this plane.

Call me fickle, but now I'm looking at the S4. It is a bit smoother and the mid wing would be easy to do plug in panels and the floats would be permanent to the fuse.

The other plane I'm looking at is the S-M S.65. This is the push-me, pull-you with twin tail booms. The whole wing is radiators, but I think I could do this easier with some trim or paint than the sides of the S6B. For power I could use a pair of AF020s and keep at the 300W target.

What do you think?

-Jim

"Life is too short to build ugly planes"
Oct 25, 2005, 11:55 AM
designer/builder
Jim,

Build the one that will get done and that you like the most. These are all nice planes. For my wing rads, I'm going to use paint and an airbrush to give it the 3D look.

I'm going to get back to work on my entry once I put the dirt bike away for the season.

Rob
Oct 25, 2005, 07:15 PM
Jim your drawing looks great, but then i am partial to Savoias and the 65 is an awsome looking plane so i vote for that one. Hope that helps. Go- Go. Joe
Oct 25, 2005, 09:59 PM
Designer/Builder
Hi Joe,

We'll see, I always wanted to do a Skymaster with this type of setup but the S.65 is too cool. APC makes a 9x6 pusher which should go fine on an AF brushless 020 geared. Do I use the same pitch on the front and rear props? The fuse would be about 21" long at 1/8 scale, so I don't know how the props would interact.

-Jim
Oct 25, 2005, 10:39 PM
hey Jim.a 9/6 only pulled about 9.5 amps on my 020, but a 10.5/8 worked fine at 18.5 Amps. At 21 inch separation i dont think there will be much to be concerned about with the pusher but only readings will tell. BTW I am working on the 80 Inch SM 55 with same motor config, but much closer to one other. JOe
Oct 26, 2005, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
I looked at the S.65 but I think the problems with the tail and pushrods/snakes/cables are a little daunting, (but not impossible). It would easily be the coolest model, short of a Piaggio. Why bother about a pusher prop? Just put a tractor on backwards and reverse the motor. And I agree with Joe, a 21" fuselage isn't likley to create a lot of problems - maybe add an inch pitch to the rear prop.

Martin
Oct 26, 2005, 09:10 PM
Designer/Builder
Hi Martin,

If I turn around the motor, I would want a pusher prop otherwise the torque would be too much from both motors trying to spin the fuse. APC makes a whole series of pusher props, and Joe is right, a 9x6 on a Geared 020 would not draw that much. But I can bump that up as well.

I just got off the phone with Keith and he has some more S6x drawings, a S4, and the S.65. Going to try an hook up with him this weekend and see what looks the coolest. The S.65 would be a challenge, but engineering is what I make a living at, so I think I'd be up to it. The hardest thing would be the rudder, but I think this could be done with a pull-pull system snaked through the tail booms. I could also bury a micro servo on the stab. The elevator servo could ride in the wing next to the tail boom and would be a straight shot. I'm thinking of one piece plane, with the fuselage bolting on to the wing. Motor and batteries in the fuse, and all sevos in the wing somewhere.

The gears are turning.... Look out!

-Jim
Oct 26, 2005, 11:20 PM
Jim,

if you phone with Keith, please would you ask for S65 copy for me?
I built the small s55x in the scale forum; a s65 would be cool as a daughter.

Thanks,
Kuni
Oct 27, 2005, 08:06 AM
Thread OP
Hi Jim:
Your solutions were pretty much what I came up with. I didn't like the idea of a one piece model - hard to transport- but it is certainly do-able.
Would the torque from 2X150W motors be greater than 1X300W motor?

Oh, and there is no question but that the S.65 would look the coolest!

Martin
Oct 27, 2005, 01:29 PM
Hi all Savoia lovers,
here one pic from the grundlsee-meeting in Austria this year. The model size is 2x2 metres. The power was from two motors 600Watts.

Hope you enjoy it.

Kuni

Quick Reply