Sep 16, 2005, 07:33 PM
Thread OP

Maidend my World Models Piper J-3 Cub (51") today. (pic)

Today my piper cub saw some flight time for the first time. Since i moved over, i cant find a damn place to fly r/c planes. And my ultimate biplane is too fast, and takes too much space to fly, so i thought i would get something that didnt require so much space, and could fly slow...so i can use the park 2 min away. So i got a 51" pretty scale Piper J-3 Cub, just about my all-time favorite plane, powered by a glow .25 engine that i already had laying around. This way, i could really slow it down and keep it in a confined space. Plus like i said...i love the cub. I finished the model yesterday.

When i was 9 or 10 or something, my first r/c airplane was a piper cub. I tried to do it all myself. So i took off....turned left...it got too far away, the radio signal got screwed and it went down into the forest...never to be seen again. Pretty heart breaking stuff for a 9 year old.

Anyway, at first i was worried about the park ranger telling me to get out...that i couldtn do that there, but then he ended up watching. I tried to show off and did some aerobatics, but since the cub isnt really for that, they wernt exactly tight "patterns". I almost lost it once, I had a power-on stall that made it go behind the huge tree i was next to. How i recovered without visual...ill never know. I really thought i had lost it.

But all was wel. It was a little windy but thats fine. I installed an oversized fuel tank, so i just loaded it up more for more weight to be stable in the wind. Which im sure helped with that power-on stall. 8o

Pic:

to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2005, 06:07 AM
Great looking J-3, sounds like a "thrilling," but most pleasant first flight ...would have been great to have been there to see it....

Is that a kit, or ARF? Reason I ask, is my hands are getting worse all the time(arthritis) and I'd like to find a J-3 that size in arf, to go along with my larger one...
Sep 17, 2005, 08:49 AM
Thread OP
Thanks. Its an arf.

Its amazing the kinds of arfs there are out there these days. Back when i used to model, arfs were way more expensive and harder to come by in what you want. It seems these days everything is an arf, and you cant beat the prices of them anymore. This one was only 100 dollars. I dont understand how someone can hand-build it, cover it, and include as much hardware as they did and still make money off a 100 dollar sale. But oh well, works out for me.

This is the WM website, they have the cub in 1/8, 1/6, 1/5, and 1/4 scale cub arfs. I have the smallest, the 1/8. They also have three versions of it in clipped wing, as well as an electric version that is said to fly very well and look great.

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=26

So far im very impressed with the quality of the model. From the research i did it seems WM puts out a lot of quality products.

So do you have a full size cub? Or a bigger r/c one?

Id like a real cub someday. I had the back of my shirt cut out yesterday after my first solo in a C152, so im on my way there.

Alright, ill stop rambeling.
Sep 17, 2005, 10:10 AM
Ramble on man, glad to hear from another J-3 fanatic. No, I wish I had the "real deal" myself. My larger cub is a Graupner, 72" span, as yet unfinished, which will be powerred with a Saito 56.

I'd like to have another smaller Cub, like yours, and possibly use a Saito 30 under the cowl.

Thanks for the link....it is definitely amazing how many arf's are available today, and the quality is so much better than when they first started appearing years ago.

One more question, is your cub a balsa and ply build, or a foam core????
Sep 17, 2005, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
There is not a single piece of foam on the whole model. I dont like foam models, it just takes away from it for me. The cub is completely built up, with a light but strong structure. Overall its a very nice kit. I was amazed with the nice hardware it came with too. They give you a nice fiberglass cowl, and a clear one as a "rough-draft". Cut the clear to how you like, then just slip it over the nice fiberglass and trace/cut to end up with a nice final product. The windows are really nice too.

Yeah i admit, i am cub-crazy. Its interesting, after almost 10 years of flying just about every kind of plane out there... i just went back to the good ol' cub.
Sep 17, 2005, 05:24 PM
Looks great. I love the look of the J-3 Cub. Hey, they have a 40 size too and not a bad price. My birthday is coming up...

The Cub is one of the nicest looking planes of the 1930s. Ahead of it's time in many respects when you compair it to the C150 and C172. Too many nice models out there. I should really get my Tomahawk finished. Might finish it and sell it.
Sep 18, 2005, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime242
They give you a nice fiberglass cowl, and a clear one as a "rough-draft". Cut the clear to how you like, then just slip it over the nice fiberglass and trace/cut to end up with a nice final product.
Now THAT, is way cool! Too bad they all don't do that!

Quick Reply