Sep 13, 2005, 12:32 AM
Thread OP

My first attempt at building and converting a Guillows to a RC plane

Gents,

I fly mostly arfs, gws foamies and have a heli or two...my good friend Warren Jones encouraged me to try building a balsa plane...so I found a Guillows Nieuport and decided to try my hand at building it and also converting it to an RC Plane. The build is going kinda slow as I am taking a lot of time just to get it right. I also decided to install ailerons as I can't fly a plane on R/E alone. This is also my second attempt at covering...here are a few pics....

So far the fuse with 2 pico servos, partially covered lower wing and upper wing with ailerons only weigh 2.0 oz.

The coverite microlite weighs in at .6 oz a sq yd, it's more transparent than I would like and handles like Saran Wrap if you are not too careful...I am getting the hang of it...once tacked down on the main contact points...I heat gun does a nice job of shrinking it tightly. Will post more pics as time permits...something about work that gets in the way of build time.

Cheers,

Gord.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2005, 10:27 AM
Keep the pics coming Gord, she looks great can't wait for a flight report

Grant
Sep 13, 2005, 11:20 AM
Keep the weight as light as you can...
Sep 13, 2005, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
Hi Grant,

Good to hear from you...will update when I can...progress is slow right now...trying to figure out the aileron linkages.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the tip, I am deciding which power plant to use, either a gws ips with a brushless 12mm fieago or Axi 2204/54, prop will be a gws 7x3, CC10, Hitec Feather Rx, I like using 3S lipos but in this case may use 2S lipos to save a bit of weight. Warren built a Guillows Fokker DR-1 for a friend and it's a great little flying plane on a 3S 340mah Kokam Lipo. I still have a lot of experimenting to figure out the right flight pack combo but should be fun to fly.

Cheers,

Gord.
Sep 14, 2005, 11:35 AM
Hey Gord, way to go, I never realized you built the rudder as well.

Think it, live it, breath it.

Cheers

Warren
Sep 18, 2005, 01:41 AM
Thread OP

some more pics

Well....All I can say it's a labour of love....working on small models is challenging....especially trying to convert a non rc plane to rc...tonight I finally got the ailerons figured out...used a Sullivan #507 cable to attach to the control horns...laid the pico servo flat and tried to minimize the height of the servo horns but I might have to add few shims to the ribs to prevent the top covering from coming in contact with the servo horns...here are 2 pics on how I did this...progress is slow but at least I am learning a lot.

Cheers,

Gord.
Sep 20, 2005, 01:40 PM

Aileron Hook-up

Looking good Gord.

I like the way you did the ailerons. Good for differential.

Cheers

Warren
Sep 21, 2005, 02:13 AM
Hey nice build!

Whats the wingspan? what power system were you thinking of using?...
looks great, and oh that Warren Jones guy he started me as well in the hobby about two years ago, you should see how many planes I have now.... I just love scratch building mostly.
but soon I'll be giving it up to move on to building ceder strip kayaks but you never know.

P.S listen to Warren he knows his stuff, maybe he can show you pictures of some of the planes I sold him.

Cheers
Brian T
Last edited by Brian T; Sep 24, 2005 at 02:20 PM.
Sep 22, 2005, 02:02 AM
Thread OP
Hi Brian,

WS is 24"

Power system is a Feiago BL motor on a GWS IPS gear box, GWS 7x6 prop, Kokam 3S 640 15C Lipo (battery might be overkill). Static test, 1.5A at approx 18watts (I think).

Agree with your comments about Warren he is a great builder and flyer...I am fortunate enough to live a few mins away...on most nights I come over to fly with him and catch up on his latest projects.

Gord.
Sep 22, 2005, 02:04 AM
Thread OP

more pics....

Well, a few more pics....sigh...like I said it's a labour of love...almost finished..just need to glue in the stringers, cover, attach the wing and tail pieces, landing gear, paint the engine, put in the pilot, figure out the cg....etc etc etc :-)

Cheers,

Gord.
Sep 24, 2005, 02:38 AM
i am just finishing a guillows super cub. pretty easy build. did a few taxi's and then a loose wire got the better of me. got to solder it back on to the motor and we'lll see if she flies. havn't even flew my first one yet and already have a few more i would like to do.
Sep 25, 2005, 12:32 AM
Thread OP

Some More Pics

Hi Wrong,

Please let me know how the maiden goes....

Well, I have been working on my Nieuport for most of the day and pretty tired now...started to take shortcuts...so decided to quit and post a few pics.

Almost done, just need to add the wheels, decals, paint the engine and cowl, install them.

The CC10 and Hitec Feather Rx is shoved all the way to the front...yeah I know the Feather is not the best Rx in the world but it's the only one I had on hand...I built a battery bay right under the cockpit and the CG is right were the manual says it should be....a few more days and I am ready to maiden her.

As most builders know you invest a lot of time and effort into your models...so I hope it flies okay.

Cheers,

Gord.
Sep 25, 2005, 07:08 AM
Gord : Where do the plans say the CofG should be? My recent Guillows Fairchild 24 had to have the CofG quite different from the Guillows spec. They called for having it at 50% of chord - but I put it at 30%.

Looks very nice, BTW! What's the AUW now?

-James.
Sep 25, 2005, 08:25 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Gord and Warren-
In post #7 Warren said, "I like the way you did the ailerons. Good for differential". Please forgive me if I'm wrong here but the differential would be the opposite of the desired 'more-up-than-down' differential with the aileron cable exits on the bottom as they are and the output arm on the servo as it is. Might it have been better for differential for the cable exit on top? I'm no expert so I may be incorrect.

Now for the compliments-- Very nice job of it. The new laser-cut kits are a wonderful improvement. Can't wait to see if they do their whole line laser-cut eventually. I built the old die-crushed version back in the '70's and it came out pretty nice. Built that one for static display. I built another for flight by scaling up the Guillows plans about a decade later. I'll post pics. I didn't fly it until just this year! Your NII will fly well on calm days I have no doubt.
Regards,
Mike
Sep 25, 2005, 08:34 AM
CarreraGTS: I've emailed Guillows a couple of times about when they might laser cut them all, but never received a response. I would be great to have them laser cut. The WW1 kits have been laser cut for a few years now...

I wonder if they would also do separate 'contest' versions with better grade balsa?

-James.

Quick Reply