Oct 16, 2005, 01:18 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPAC299
Half pipeing? at bluffs park? i didn't know that was possible...
Plenty possible. The 'Pipe will fly in surprisingly light air. Maybe not Raider-light but it doesn't take a bunch of lift to keep one up. I've flown my 'Pipe there on many occasions and the lift was average/marginal on most of them.

I've also flown my Moth there with up to 8oz of ballast in the tube. I probably could have flown it today with all 15oz installed.

The only problem with flying things like the 'Pipe and the Moth at B.P. is they're so much faster than almost everything else typically flown there. When there are several other planes in the air you have to spend so much time concentrating on what's out in front of you that you can't really fly them to their potential. They also come in a lot hotter so landings can be problematic when there's people, planes, dogs, and lawn chairs scattered about.

Pete
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2005, 01:20 AM
Nice pictures !
Oct 16, 2005, 09:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
When there are several other planes in the air you have to spend so much time concentrating on what's out in front of you that you can't really fly them to their potential.
Pete

we cleared the sky for stembridge. i was in awe. the guy flies so good!
Oct 16, 2005, 10:24 AM

python death squeez

This happened a few weeks ago but I just saw that the wife took a picture of it.

We were flying turns around the wind sock pole when my brothers' weasel got stuck in the streamers on our sock. Well the thing spins to indicate wind speed, and once it had the plane the sock started to spin and squeez the it. we laughed so hard.
Oct 16, 2005, 11:29 AM
Bluff can be a fun spot-- if you think the pumps are big--DON'T GO TO FERMIN!!!! No more foam needed there anyway!! The wind at Bluff is better S to SW and Fermin is better W to NW-- so they face different directions-- but if you go to Fermin--BRING LEAD!!! It's a BIG lift site-- for heavy planes-- mostly glass. Good spot to fly and be sure and check with the locals on how to land-- DON'T LAND IN THE PARK!!!
FYI
Timmig
Oct 18, 2005, 08:55 PM
Bunch of KOOKS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Innocent
Stembridge, was that a halfpipe your flying? Looks like some other wing that was maybe modified?
It is a HalfPipe.
Nice meeting some of you at the slope! Thanks To Minhuahua's Brother for letting me fly when I showed up on his same Channel. That was cool, Thanks!
Stan,Nice pics! Glad you liked the way the Halfpipe flew.That thing rips! I think it is the plane, not the pilot. I was impressed with the Vertical performance in the light lift. I flew it at Dog beach in Huntington and it was rocketing out of the bowl. It is the most quiet plane I have ever flown. Not a sound comes from that thing. Really a fun wing!
Oct 18, 2005, 09:17 PM
It could happen...
Sounds like you guys were having some fun! Might have to bring the bright and shiny new Weasel out for a little action one of these days!

For what it's worth, I really wouldn't recommend Fermin with a Weasel. Oh you can fly them there...but unless it's a pretty flat day you may find yourself with too much lift on your hands. Weasels are great, but they're far from big lift planes. Keep the lift and plane type matched up and you'll always enjoy the day!
Oct 18, 2005, 09:45 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Bluff park is like Ellwood Beach with a railing and mowed grass....looks like a perfect venue, enjoy the lift amigos.
Droydx
Oct 18, 2005, 09:52 PM
Bunch of KOOKS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansanders

ITL, Bring that new Wizzle to the L Bizzle.
FWIW
After meeting David(Minhuahua) I dont think he was talking about flying a Weasel at Fermin. He did have a nice LEG Mustang that looked like it would match up Perfectly with Fermin. I think he even mentioned he had been talking with Jack C. about not having enough lift to get the most performance out of his plane, and was gonna go to Fermin to give it a go.
Stembridge
(who has many planes he never intended to fly at Fermin)
Oct 18, 2005, 10:03 PM
It could happen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stembridge
ITL, Bring that new Wizzle to the L Bizzle.
Fo Shizzle!

LEG Mustang? Perfect Fermin toy! David, come on down and I'll toss the foam ME 262 out with ya!
Oct 18, 2005, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
that reminds me. i just gutted / uncovered my old zagi wing and im trying to think of something to do with it. how would it go if i reinforced the hell out of it with lots of strapping tape and used my big servos and maybe even added some weight. would it be fermin flyable?
Oct 18, 2005, 10:15 PM
It could happen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansanders
that reminds me. i just gutted / uncovered my old zagi wing and im trying to think of something to do with it. how would it go if i reinforced the hell out of it with lots of strapping tape and used my big servos and maybe even added some weight. would it be fermin flyable?
Yup, sure would.
Oct 18, 2005, 10:20 PM
Embrace the suck
I fly my Weasel at Fermin semi-regularly, but I do it early before the wind picks up and I've got special aero-engineer-applied lift-killing wrinkles (on the Weasel! ). I've also gotten in the habit of stopping off at Bluff on the way home for one last Weasel-chuck. It's kind of anti-climactic.
Bluff is a nice low-pressure place to fly, though. I suffer from a lot less 'performance anxiety' at Bluff. People I've flown with at Fermin might understand.

Nauga,
who says, "HERE, YOU TAKE IT!!!"
Oct 18, 2005, 10:23 PM
Bunch of KOOKS!
I think a Zagi would be better at Whites Point,the Baseball field north of Fermin. Plenty of lift.
Oct 18, 2005, 10:28 PM
It could happen...
Oh don't get me worng, nothing wrong with tossing your Weasel at Fermin...and mine will get tossed there I'm sure. Just like Nauga said though, you can go there early before the wind really picks up and still have plenty of lift! I'm just saying on a average to decent afternoon there, you'll want something heavier!

Performance anxiety?!? Fermin is all about perfomrance enhancing!!!! Man I love that place!

That said, Fermin will be winding down as far as flyable days for the heavies, but should still see enough lift for the light stuff...Go Weasels go!

Quick Reply