Jun 24, 2019, 09:22 PM
Fun day at Bluff park today , we had a crowd. Tom, Tom, Don, Henry, Bob, Eucebio, Frank, and me. Good wind and nice weather.

Here's Tom maidening his Gentle Woman, it has a Gentle Lady fuse and Pussycat wings.
Ron

Tom maddening his Gentle Woman Bluff Park 06/24/19 (1 min 51 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2019, 01:28 PM
Old newb
Better a late then never...

For Mr Old School, llamame1950, here is Free Bird (his old Ahi) at Dave's Beach:

Ahi at Dave's Beach Carlsbad California June 2019 (1 min 40 sec)
Jun 28, 2019, 10:06 PM
Old Schooler
Wow flies much better for you, great job...
Tom
Jun 28, 2019, 11:20 PM
Old newb
The standard tricks only made it mechanically OK.

The real fix was to change the incidence of the horizontal stab. That cured it of constantly being a lawn dart!
Jun 28, 2019, 11:58 PM
Old Schooler
Amazing I fly it so long like that!?
Jun 29, 2019, 12:49 AM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamame1950
Amazing I fly it so long like that!?
Gosh the standard tricks included 3 CF rods in the tail, cut the rudder off and install pinned hinges, 3M Blenderm on other places, tape the wings, new elevator servo (old one quit right before first flight,) and glue lots of stuff.

You told me it always wanted up.

At Bluffs it lawn darted twice. At home at the park it was OK on test glide mostly. But still would want to go down.

I compared it to my friendís new one and we noted it it needed the tail reset. I made wedge of a sharpened popsicle stick and shoved it under the horizontal after I cut the horizontal loose. Dab of hot melt. All better!

It is beat. It looks abused. But now it flies well. Saved one from the trash can!

Next is the Shrike. Twisty wing fetish is coming up at Torrey Pines.....
Jun 29, 2019, 07:40 AM
It's time for me to fly
Which way did you have to shim the stab? I noticed mine has some "up" incidence rather than the zero-zero that seems to be favored for slopers.
Jun 29, 2019, 10:46 AM
Old newb
UP!

It needs to be pushed up in the back, like up elevator.

It seems it is very critical to have several degrees of up.

We compared against a new one. The Dream Fight people confirmed it.

This one was at or near zero. On launch it wanted to lawn dart.

Note now that this one is all manner of patched up and hence has gained weight. Translation is that this change is what it took to make it fly well.

It ended up being a personal challenge to make it fly nice.
Jun 29, 2019, 10:54 AM
Are you guys saying it didn't fly that well new out of the box?
Jun 29, 2019, 12:26 PM
Old newb
No, not at all.

Free Bird was damaged by a PO.

Tom gave it to me. It was in bad shape. After normal foamie repair magic, it wanted to be a lawn dart.

He told me it always wanted UP. That was a clue.

I was challenged by this one to make it fly right.

The final trick was to change the incidence of the horizontal stabilizer.

Flys great now!
Jun 29, 2019, 12:32 PM
Interesting! Something similar happened with this bird... I built a super-cheetah ish wing for my brother's Cox silhouette fuselage. If you look close you'll be able to see the before and after effect of the incidence adjustment. We called it the cheater. It never flew that well as a Cox model. It's amazing how "locked in" a properly balanced and aligned model can feel, and often times what little adjustment it takes to get it there.

SoCal Sloping.wmv (4 min 30 sec)
Last edited by rsrguy3; Jun 29, 2019 at 12:43 PM.
Jun 29, 2019, 02:33 PM
Old newb
WOW!

Some of my favorites. Poway slope, Dave's Beach and Shrikes!

Dave's must have been some time ago, though.......It is a bit different now.

Keep having fun!
Jun 29, 2019, 03:16 PM
Old Master, New Grasshopper
Yup... It all has to do with how that wind sees those surfaces. When they're fighting against each other the airplane ain't happy... Nice
Latest blog entry: Pics
Jun 29, 2019, 03:36 PM
That wasn't too long ago... What do you mean about Dave's being different? It looked the same last year when I visited.
Jun 29, 2019, 08:30 PM
Old newb
Fence at South. Shrub (tree?) got huge. The ruts are deeper on the slope (can not see in video.)

It is basically the same but a bit different.

Quick Reply