Sep 08, 2005, 03:22 PM
Thread OP

Scratch build twin boom pusher

Hey all,this is my first scratch build. A twin boom pusher with a 36" WS. It will be 29" long. The CDR motor is a 20mm 14T wye. Gets 9+ oz. thrust at ~6A with a 2S lipo. The servos will be mounted on the wing next to the booms. The control rods will run along the booms to the control surfaces. I used Hippo's wing baking jig to get the airfoil into the wing panels. The wing spar and tail booms are CF tube.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2005, 04:08 PM
Thread OP
BTW, the purpose of this plane is to carry my wireless video cam or digital cam for AP. I have a couple ideas for the fuse but I'd like to hear any suggestions.
Thanks,
-John
Sep 27, 2005, 12:16 PM
Thread OP

maiden video

Here's the video of the maiden. It flew pretty well, but did have a problem with wing incidence.

https://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/sho...cat=506&page=1

I have cut the wing free and reglued it at the proper angle. I need to reset the tail booms once the wing dries and will post a new vid. I definately like the plane, once I get this one perfected, maybe I will rebuild clean. As soon as I get all of the bugs worked out I will install my black widow AV system to get some inflight video. I designed the plane tail heavy so it needs a little more than an ounce of ballast to balance (I will remove the ballast when I install the camera, it will be mounted on a boom in front looking toward the tail).
I used a single stator komodo hobby cdrom kit with 11T 24AWG and 2S tanic 1500 lipo. AUW is 10 Oz. With 8x4 GWS DD prop I get about 15Oz. thrust with a fresh charge.
Sep 27, 2005, 12:40 PM
Look out for my plane!
Lol.. My brother and I are just starting to get into the hobby and he drew up a plane that was almost exactly like this.. How funny..

Does it fly good? It looks like it would be a pretty stable flyer.

Also, did you design it or do you have any plans for it drawn up? I would be interested in making one myself and comparing it to my brothers drawing.. or some more pic's would be cool - close up ones maybe? Not that I am asking for the world or anything.. lol..
Sep 27, 2005, 12:53 PM
Nice work on that twin boom pusher!! Any plans to or a thread to the plans in this forum?

Tx

good luck
Sep 27, 2005, 01:12 PM
Very simple thin centreline body, kind of like the parkshark/ frog type planes, but maybe not as tall, with a cutout in the middle of the belly to hold the camera, so it'd shoot straight down, but still protect the camera body?
Sep 27, 2005, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
I don't have any plans, I just decided on some rough dimensions, 36" wing, 29" length, etc. The fuse is 2.5" wide.

From my earlier post, the camera will be on a boom about 8" long pointing back toward the plane. I like this view the best. It was VERY stable, even with the wing incidence problems. (I am correcting this now).

Once I get it just right, I will finish it so it looks nice.
-John
Sep 27, 2005, 01:30 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
My buddy, wmcneal built a twin boom pusher seaplane/ flying boat that flies excellent.......

"Look out for those pesky Lightpoles!"
BB
Sep 27, 2005, 02:13 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauntme13
Here's the video of the maiden. It flew pretty well, but did have a problem with wing incidence.

https://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/sho...cat=506&page=1
How did you determine a wing incidence issue? Didnt look like it was hobby horsing, what was the incidence and what is it now? Is that a std 4/40 wing airfoil?
Sep 27, 2005, 02:18 PM
Thread OP
Here's a good reason to video a maiden, especially with a scratch build. The first pic shows the wing incidence problem in-flight. The plane was flying level. I had to have quite a bit of up-elevator to make it fly level. I used the angle in the video as a reference when I cut and re-glued the wing. When it dries, I will adjust the tail booms level.
Sep 27, 2005, 03:44 PM
What is your motor thrust angle? That also makes a difference as well. It looks like you have some down thrust, but that could be the angle of the pic. Ill take your word on the elevator in the pic, too blurry for me to see it.
Sep 27, 2005, 04:17 PM
Thread OP
Imabiggles,

You can't see the elevator itself, but you can see the angle of the tail relative to the rest of the plane in level flight. From the video, I can see where the wing "wants" to be for level flight, I can then adjust the fuselage and tail to match.
Sep 27, 2005, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
Almost forgot, the thrust angle is zero since the prop is level with the wing and tail.
Sep 27, 2005, 04:31 PM
Thread OP
Pics....
Almost ready to re-maiden. Probably tomorrow.
Sep 27, 2005, 09:48 PM
Good luck, and by the way, I forgot to mention - nice looking plane!

Quick Reply