Sep 05, 2005, 07:00 PM
"Superior Air Power"

New Plane: Traveller by Cl-i-max Models

Here are a few pics of my new plane. The Traveller, another great plane by David Fordham at www.cl-i-max.com
I actually have two of these kits. The second one has the wing extended from
40" to 62" for aerial photogrophy but I haven't built any thing else... yet.

So the span is 40" on the one in the pics.
I changed the GWS stick mount to a firewall mount for my Astro 010 and
gear box. I changed the dowel and rubber band wing hold down to dowel
under leading edge and screw trailing edge. There is a opening cut under the motor on the bottom of the fuse with an intake scoop made from a plastic spoon. The opening on the bottom of the fuse at the rear is the vent. Also added steerable tail wheel and big tires for take off and landing on grass.

The equipment is as follows:
Plane Traveller
Span 40"
Area 258 sq in
Wing Loading ~8 oz / sq ft
Motor Astro Flight 010 14T
Gear box Astro Flight 3.3:1
Prop APC electric 10x7
Batteries 3s1p 1200 mah Etec LiPo
Radio 6ch tx, rx
Servos 4ea,
AUW 14.8 oz

I have flown it once this afternoon at about 3:30 pm. There was a fair amount of thermal activity. The plane was able to take off from the grass and climb. Trimmed a little aileron and elevator. Flies real nice, penatrated fine, very controlable. Aileron rates are moderate, rolls are smooth but on the slow side. Flies inverted well even with the flat bottom airfoil. Battery and motor were warm after a 20 min flight but not hot. With the 3s1p 1250 mah HD Etecs I plan to buy I think it shoud go vertical, the 3s1p packs I'm using now are getting tired. It's a fun plane for relaxing aerobatics. Roll performance can be increased by higher rates but I want to get my boys flying this so it doesn't have to do 3 rolls a second. A great aileron trainer that can move up to the sport class with ease.

John
Last edited by War Bird Radio; Sep 06, 2005 at 11:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2005, 10:23 PM
Registered boozer
That looks great John. Nice job covering the plane. I bet it moves with the Astro. Ive never heard of that manufacturer before, looks like they have some nice kits. That Weego SS may be on my list when it becomes available.
Sep 06, 2005, 11:53 AM
"Superior Air Power"
corndog,
Thanks for the nice comments...
The covering was simple but effective. Didn't want to spend much time on it but wanted it to look good. The contrasting dark blue underside and white top and stripes are for orintation of coarse. Will try to get some in flight pics.
I've built four of David's planes and they all perform nicely. The Traveller is a nice combination between stability and performance. I built a beta Vamoose pattern plane and it was amazing. Do a search for the thread in this fourm for it. Mine is the red, white and blue one you will see in the thread. Don't know when it will go into production.
The Weego looks looks cool but I don't have any indoor facility.

John
Sep 07, 2005, 03:52 PM
Hi John,

Nice to see you've got your Traveller flying. Looks real nice.

I kept the roll rate on the slower end for those who are using this
kit as a trainer. When your ready for faster rolls just move the
control linkages half way up the aileron control horns, you'll have
to add another hole. With an AXI 2208/34, APC 9x6, Tanic 3s2p 1550
pack and this mod the rolls are anything but Slow..... I also get
vertical performace with this set-up. I have some short video I'll
be posting as soon as I can.

D
Sep 13, 2005, 09:38 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Here are some inflight pics of our Traveller. Just taken at 6:45 PST 9-13-05.

This plane is not just a good sport/trainer but could also be classified as a funfly plane.
Sep 13, 2005, 09:42 PM
"Superior Air Power"
And the last pic... Knife edge.
Sep 13, 2005, 09:58 PM
Nice pictures Warbird.

I've posted some new video with the increased aileron travel and the AXI 2208/34 BL Outrunner. It's fairly short since it was Fraser's first time shooting video of an RC model and most of it had to be cut to prevent viewer motion sickness.... Thanks Fraser.

http://www.cl-i-max.com/downloads/Traveller-03.avi

D
Sep 14, 2005, 11:39 AM

Acclaimed Cinematographer

Tut-tut everyone. I am the acclaimed cinematographer Cornelius Thorngood the fourth. No doubt you have all heard of me and my exemplary and groundbreaking work. I came across this live action sequence of the plane on cl-i-max's website and have ever since been trying to track down the man responsible for the incredible footage.

It's revolutionary in it's style. In it's flair. In it's reckless abandon of industry ‘norms’.

Hats off to Fraser. Man of mystery. Man of skill. I, Cornelius Thorngood the fourth, applaud you.
Sep 15, 2005, 06:26 PM
Hey Warbird,

Any chance of getting some video footage of you knife edging your Traveller and other tricks?...

D
Sep 15, 2006, 07:33 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
That Traveller looks like a decent replacement for a Dandy I just strained through some tree's..
Sep 15, 2006, 07:37 PM
Any pictures of that?...

David
Sep 15, 2006, 07:40 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Actually, the damage wasn't that bad.. but I think it's time to send her out to pasture, been browsing for replacements..