Sep 03, 2005, 11:19 AM
Discussion

PBY Catalina

I swore to myself I wouldn`t start another project. Yes the Tracker will get done,....over the winter. After seeing Ivan`s flying flying boats at the last fall chilliwack fly-in I couldn`t resist. I must build the mini-cat. Surely it won`t require much to build? Well,.....I was wrong but it must be worth it.

Buddy came over last night and took pics. I wasn`t going to post them until finish but he insisted.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2005, 12:52 PM
Gents,

Here are a few pics of the build....enjoy....will post more pics.

Gord.
Sep 11, 2005, 02:34 PM

Waiting for pics

Just waiting for more pics.

Progress has been real good so far.

Cheers
Sep 11, 2005, 03:50 PM
Holy Cow!! now Thats a Wing!!
Sep 11, 2005, 08:01 PM

The wing

Actually it`s the lens that makes it look larger than it is. Although it is 84". Funny thing, bigger you build the smaller they look when you move on. Aside from needing the space to build the bigger models I prefer to now. More bang for the buck and easier to work on.

Cheers

Warren
Sep 11, 2005, 09:37 PM

more pics

Gents,

Sorry for the delay...been busy building a Guillows Nieuport with guidance from Warren...anyways here are a few more pics of Warrens Catalina.

Gord.
Sep 12, 2005, 01:01 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Keep those photos coming! I have Ivan's plans for the MiniCat, and it is my next build after I complete my Top Flite DC3 electric build.

David
Sep 14, 2005, 12:45 AM

Some pics

Stopped by Warren's shop and took some more pics....
Sep 14, 2005, 11:51 AM
confused poet
wow, that's cool. I can't wait untill i get to start building big stuff.
Henry
Sep 14, 2005, 12:00 PM
RCGroups Author
Oh sure, go and make my life difficult why don't you? I'd finally decided to build Ivan's Solent (I have 4 of his plans, including the minicat), and now you post this inspiring thread. Great!

Nice job BTW...looks very good!
Sep 14, 2005, 12:18 PM

To SoarNeck

Yeah, I know. Bugger isn`t it.
I`m also getting a set of the Solent from Ivan. I asked him to send me the Mars instead for now. I`m glad I took on the Mini-Cat because it`s still a cabable park/pond flyer. I was talking to Ivan about the Solent in a larger configuration. He mentioned that an 11% enlargment would be nice.

Cheers

Warren
Sep 14, 2005, 12:31 PM

Covering the Hull

Here is a list and procedure how I do water proofing the non-toxic way.
I`ll post a pick later of all the materials.

Materials list:

Different grit sanding sponges
Flecto Varathane Satin/Gloss (waterbourne)
Silkspan
Probond yellow carp glue
Light weight spackle/filler
Automotive glazing putty
Auto laquer primer and paint colour
Clearcoat

First I rough sand seems etc. Then paint on a liberal coat of varathane before applying any spackle for fairing. When the spackle fairing is done re-seal and sand with varathane again. Take a jar and dilute the carp glue with water so it is like milk consistency. Lay on the silkspan and start brushing over with the glue spreading it out. Sometimes I thicken a little at the edges. Then mist the whole thing with water and brush out again. Let dry and feather out the edges an such. After that I recoat with varathane, then primer (spraybomb), prep and paint. Unbelievably light finish. I even use the varathane to seal the tail construction before covering to avoid the inevetible "mush" factor that can set in later from moisture. I also seal the inside of the hull with varathane as well.

Cheers
Sep 18, 2005, 02:31 AM

some more pics

Gents,

Some more pics....

Cheers,

Gord.
Sep 18, 2005, 02:54 AM
Slope Dog
Looks great. I am about to order those plans from Ivan myself. Is anyone doing a laser short kit for the ribs? Sure would speed things up.
Sep 22, 2005, 02:51 AM

more pics

Hi Gents,

Here are some more pics...

Gord.

Quick Reply