Sep 02, 2005, 04:21 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Thread OP

New 24 inch wing with GWS 300 Motor

A while back I upgraded the motor on my Slow Stick (used for Arial Photography) and had my old GWS 300 motor sitting around. Also, recently thanks to Zzonie77 for introducing me to the evil mini wings, I decided to build something to put that old 300 motor on.

I used Fan Fold Foam (FFF) – my next one will be FFF Bluecore, but I had started this with the green stuff (a little thicker and more flexible than bluecore FFF). Anyway, using the natural fold for the leading edge of the wing worked out quite well. I took to two halves and joined them with two carbon fiber rods as shown in the drawing. Important – I think ProBond glue works best… the foaming kind. I like to activate it with white tacky glue and mix it.

I created 4 ribs (shown in green) and two triangular foam pieces for servo pads (a place to mount servos in the wing. I glued the top down (use ProBond) and had a nice shaped wing. The nose covers all the way back to the motor mount top and bottom and sticks out the front about 2 ½ to 3 inches.

Using 1/32 plywood on the top part of the wing for the motor mount, the GWS heat sink will glue nicely with Shoe Goo. The motor does not get hot anyway.

The cockpit canopy is from plastic fluorescent light tubes from Home Depot. Painted the inside black to give it the tinted window look.

Video: Click Here for Maiden Flight Video (6 MB)

Specs:

Span: 24” Wing
Motor: GWS 300 / 350 (from the stock Slow Stick)
ESC: GWS 300
Rx: GWS Pico 6 chnl (4 would be fine)
Servos: Naro STD
Prop: GWS 4530
Battery: Etec 2s 700 mAmp High Performance
AUW: 250 grams (8.8 oz)

I have to say, this is the best flying wing I have flown. The video was the maiden flight. If you have questions, please post. Easy to make and cheap to fly.
Last edited by Qrome; Sep 05, 2005 at 02:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2005, 05:15 PM
T A C

It's a Winner !

I watched this new wing fly this morning. It was impressive how well mannered it was .... smooth comes to mind. it's quite agile with 2 per second rolls, big loops, about a 60 degree climb-out, and a nice glide. I'm guessing it does 50 mph in a shallow dive so it has plenty of power to put it in the "fun" class. All of this from a bucks worth of foam board, an $8 motor and a $20 battery ! BTW: It scores high marks on looks. That's what I call "cheap thrills". Q .... you've done it again ! What's next?
Rus
Sep 04, 2005, 10:43 AM
The video is pretty good from the ground. Looks like it had plenty of power and glides really nice. Nicely finished wing.
Sep 04, 2005, 02:22 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Thread OP
Thanks, I have to say... I am much happier with the wing than I thought I would be. The 300 motor has plenty of power -- and cheap. This would be a great build for someone wanting to get into a wing for cheap. Easy to build and easy to fly.
Sep 04, 2005, 02:38 PM
semper ventosus
Cool wing man, did you weigh it yet? Thinking about building one. Thanks.
Sep 04, 2005, 02:53 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by weather_man
Cool wing man, did you weigh it yet? Thinking about building one. Thanks.
Sorry, I have not weighed it yet. I hope to weigh it tomorrow if someone has their scale at the park I fly at.

My guess is about 7 or 8 oz -- it could weigh less if I went with micro servos and a smaller Rx -- but it really is fine how it is. I think bluecore will be lighter. I plan on making another one from bluecore very soon and I will take more build photos during the next build. Post up questions if you have them. Also, if you need detailed photos up close of areas, let me know.
Sep 04, 2005, 04:59 PM
T A C
I'll have my scale with me. The humidity was nasty today ..... sure hope tomorrow's better !
- Rus
Sep 05, 2005, 02:17 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Thread OP
I got the 24" wing weighed today. Thanks to Skeedro and Zzonie77 for bringing scales.

AUW: 250 grams (8.8 oz)

Not too bad.

I am going to use all bluecore on the next one and I think it might end up being a little lighter.
Sep 05, 2005, 03:08 PM
T A C

Test Drive 24" Wing

"Q" let me take a test drive this morning with his new wing. Thanks again !
It's absolutely stable no matter what the power setting .... even has a nice glide with the motor off. I was into my flight about 30 seconds and the fun began when I was urged to push the throttle forward.....no problem! "Point and shoot" acrobatics with rolls of all descriptions, smooth big loops all at WOT. Totally easy manuevering. Wish we had a radar gun .... it's fast too.
I'll build one soon .... got 2 hot projects first.
- Rus
Sep 10, 2005, 10:19 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Thread OP
I have enjoyed this wing so much, I have started a second one (2 inches wider) from bluecore (fan fold foam). I will post pictures as it goes along.

On this kit, I plan on putting the J250 motor with a 2s 700 etec.
Sep 10, 2005, 10:20 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Thread OP
A few more as the wing is glued shut.
Sep 10, 2005, 10:58 PM
just wing it
I love all the great pictures.

Looks like you peeled off the film from some of the foam panels, but not all. . .
Sep 10, 2005, 11:26 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flappy
I love all the great pictures.

Looks like you peeled off the film from some of the foam panels, but not all. . .
Actually, on the bluecore, I did not peel off any of the skin. One side of the foam does not have letters on it and is clean. On the first wing posted at the start of this thread, I took the skin of the green foam. I think the skin gives it a bit more strength.
Sep 11, 2005, 09:54 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Thread OP
Cut and glued motor mount to fit heatsink and motor. I then covered it with a thin layer of epoxy for strength. This type of mount alows good air flow top and bottom of the motor as well as placing the drive shaft near the center of the roll access on the wing.
Sep 11, 2005, 02:03 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Thread OP
Added the nose. 2.5 inches wide this time. Using Probond activated with white seam repair glue (or white tacky glue). Makes a nice foam to work with.

Quick Reply