WORLD MODELS Piper J-3 Cub EP

From a ALFA p-51 to something a little slower.....a Cub. This will be different
wingspan 48 1/2"
wing area 330 sq inch
Himark C2812-1200 Outrunner Brushless
CC 25a Speedy
E-Tec 1700mAh 11.1V polly
Prop ? 8x6 or 9x6
Modified the firewall tonight for the brushless. 12min epoxy. Wings together and ailerons in. I need 4 servos and a receiver which will come next week I hope. Some photos below.
Has anyone built and flown this plane? If so is it ok?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2005, 09:47 AM
I have one, but I haven't flown it. I have heard that is a floater and a lot of fun to fly. I also have the Nippy Black outrunner in mine, which is comparable to the himaxx you have. I look forward to the flight report.
UNprof
Aug 30, 2005, 05:44 PM
Nice looking Cub Bernoo,its larger than i expected. Hope to see it flying soon.
Aug 30, 2005, 07:47 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Where did you get this from and what is the estimated AUW or empty weight? I just built a 40 incher and I think that I need one just a little larger for my gear. My wing loading is high and it has to be flown hard.
Latest blog entry: Colour Schemes
Aug 30, 2005, 10:50 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Hello GP. http://www.airborne-models.com/ that is the link to Airbourne Models in the USA. they should have them. Flying weight is about 30ozs

Cheers
Aug 31, 2005, 12:49 PM
Jungmeister 55
You'll love your J-3. Here's a pic of mine. One of the best fliers I've ever had.

Mine pegged the scales at 23oz.

Gerry.
Aug 31, 2005, 07:27 PM
Motors beat engines!
I maidened a clipped wing version today, final weight was 20.25 oz with 1 oz of lead in the nose. Flys very well BTW.
Aug 31, 2005, 07:30 PM
I ordered mine two days ago. Cant wait to get it.
Sep 01, 2005, 04:02 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
The cub is well on the way now. Tail feathers are done along with undercariage. Went to my local hobby shop (H! Gary & Scotty form COMPLETE MODELS & HOBBIES ) to buy some servos and a reciever. When we checked the other Cub they have in stock I noticed that the elevator and rudder servos go in the front. With mine they go on the rear of the fuselage. Strange I thought. Got home anf fitted servos and reciever. Quick C of G check and Cub is a bit tail heavy. Needs about 30g of weight up front. The version with the servos in the cockpit would probably not need so much ballast. Something to consider if you are contemplating buying one.
Left the digital camera at work so pics in my next post.

Cheers
Last edited by bernoo; Sep 01, 2005 at 04:14 PM.
Sep 01, 2005, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernoo
The cub is well on the way now. Tail feathers are done along with undercariage. Went to my local hobby shop (H! Gary & Scotty form COMPLETE MODELS & HOBBIES ) to buy some servos and a reciever. When we checked the other Cub they have in stock I noticed that the elevator and rudder servos go in the front. With mine they go on the rear of the fuselage. Strange I thought. Got home anf fitted servos and reciever. Quick C of G check and Cub is a bit tail heavy. Needs about 30g of weight up front. The version with the servos in the cockpit would probably not need so much ballast. Something to consider if you are contemplating buying one.
Left the digital camera at work so pics in my next post.

Cheers

Hmm maybe there is a chance ill get a new one with the ones in the cockpit. If not ill probably modify it to do so anyway.
Sep 02, 2005, 04:41 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Got some photos of the Cub. Just have to fit windows and get CC25 speedy and she is ready to fly.
Sep 02, 2005, 11:51 AM
^ Looks awsome.

Im thinking ill eventually want to put mine on floats.

Are those the lightning bolts that come with it?
Sep 02, 2005, 04:26 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
GOTIME 242, floads is a great idea. Yes the lightning bolts come with the Cub along wioth a whole lot more decals whuch are peel and stick.
Cheers
Sep 02, 2005, 09:46 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
Is it me or does it look like the wing is angled down toward the left in the pic by the bowl of lemons... maybe the wing just isn't secured and put on for the pic??
Mike
Sep 02, 2005, 10:08 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin
Is it me or does it look like the wing is angled down toward the left in the pic by the bowl of lemons... maybe the wing just isn't secured and put on for the pic??
Mike
Wing is not secure in picture. It lines up ok when wing bolts are tight.

Cheers

Quick Reply