foam vs balsa construction... - RC Groups
May 05, 2002, 11:55 PM
Suspended Account

foam vs balsa construction...

I know this has been talked about before, and all have their own opinions on what is best... but....

Which is lighter? I can make some light foam stuff, but that requires glassing for strength... where with wood I can just use normal shrink covering...

Foam makes for easier rebuilds after crashes (usually).. but can a good strong airframe of balsa save that much weight over foam?

I ask because I am working on putting a plane I built into a CAD program, and in messing with it, I just started wondering about wood vs foam (i used foam originally)..

Paul
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2002, 11:12 PM
It's just PLANE silly!
I like both. I like foam wings cuz its fast, and I don't like building wings. I like balsa fuselage cuz I can make it look any way I like without a lot of cutting, sanding etc. and balsa fuses are already hollow for batteries, servo's etc.

I pesonally prefer to repair a balsa airplane.

Eric
May 07, 2002, 06:35 AM

Re: foam vs balsa construction...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arbo
[B]I know this has been talked about before, and all have their own opinions on what is best... but....

Which is lighter? I can make some light foam stuff, but that requires glassing for strength... where with wood I can just use normal shrink covering...

Arbo

Whenever I think about using foam for a wing I remind myself that a proper wood structure is mostly trapped air and go and lie done until the urge goes away.
Seriously - if you can't build a wooden wing for less wright than a foam one of equivalent strength, size, and section there is something wrong with the design and/or the building technique.

All the best

Mike
May 08, 2002, 09:53 AM
I agree with Mike. I used to hate foam. If the urge to build foam hit me, I would do it and then I would remember why I hate foam. However, I bought some foam cutting equiptment recently and it isn't so bad. I can whip up a plane with much less design and building time. I think that it is easier to repair foam, based on lots of repairing experience with both I still use both materials, but a good balsa structure is much lighter thatn foam.