Jul 03, 2001, 01:39 PM
Thread OP

DJAerotech P-38 Flight Report

Well, i finally got my DJ P-38 finished. The kit went together pretty well. The wing was kind of tricky because you can't pin it to a building board to make sure it comes out straight. Once i got past that, the rest of the building went as planned. The all up weight came out at exactly 4.1oz which is just what the instructions said. That was with an 8 cell 120mAh Nimh pack. So, i couldn't stand it anymore, i took it to the street and taxied around for a while. It is pretty cool to be able to taxi around with nose wheel steering on a 4oz airplane. I did a few high speed taxis up and down the street and all went well. I pointed it into the wind, gave it full power, and away it went. It took off straight with very little up trim. It was kind of windy for this light airplane but i managed to make a couple laps around without any problems. On the second lap, i set up for a landing and it came it very nice. I kept the power on for a typical slow flyer landing and it worked out nicely. It sure will be interesting to see exactly how this thing will perform indoors. Next flight will happen inside.

Overall, the kit was very nice and the laser cutting is near perfect! Parts fit is excellent. The instructions lack slightly because some drawings are scaled down and some are to size but the ones that are actual size aren't labeled that way. I had to call and find out the length of the landing gear and that is when i found out that the gear legs were actual size on the drawing. I'm interested to hear what other people have to say about the flight characteristics of this series.

Happy flying!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2001, 05:49 PM
thanks alot for the report. i Think I'll order one. i do have one question though. is the wing built in 2 parts, or 4? like are there a left and right wing or are there a outer left, inner left and a outer right and an inner right. i know its confusing. i dont really know how to describe it, sorry. thanks for the flight report
Jul 03, 2001, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
I know what you are asking and the answer is no, it builds in 2 sections. The dihedral is sanded into the root ribs of both panels and then they are glued together. From there, the fuses slide over each half and fit very nicely. The wing was the tough just trying to keep it straight, the rest went together very nicely. The pushrod setup is time consuming but as long as you study the drawing for a while, it isn't too bad.
Jul 04, 2001, 03:07 AM
ok, thanks alot
Jul 04, 2001, 04:25 AM
www.toddsmodels.com
I have a bunch in stock.
www.toddsmodels.com

Todd

[This message has been edited by Todd Long (edited 07-04-2001).]
Jul 05, 2001, 05:00 PM
todd, have yo flown any of these planes? and if so, how do you like them? I'm tempted to call up right now and order one, but i need a little more info on flight reports.
Jul 05, 2001, 05:02 PM
oh ya, one more thing. how fast is the p-38, or any others in the series, compaired to a light stick
Jul 05, 2001, 11:32 PM
Saddler: have you tried any aerobatics with the plane?
Jul 05, 2001, 11:44 PM
BTW: i just ordered a P-38 from your site. i just couldnt reset. i have a 6cell, 270MAH nicad battery, can i use this or should i get a diffrent type of battery? i've seen mentions of a battery from cloud nine called double time, will these work in the P-38? hope to see it soon. THanks for everything

[This message has been edited by cheapflyr (edited 07-06-2001).]

Quick Reply