This thread is privately moderated by genovia, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 28, 2019, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerkelly
Did this earlier in the year. Thought it would be cool to stick a small camera on the tail. I adjusted the balance to compensate but, being a high wing, it kind of masked how tail heavy it still was. Took off and immediately pitched up more than normal. I corrected that and once higher up i adjusted the trim a little. And then it flew quite well actually! Until i pulled out of a loop. It dropped a wing and i compensated with some aileron and pitching down a little. Then it dropped the other wing....rinse and repeat till i ran out of sky.
To add insult to injury, the camera that caused the crash had an old battery so it recorded only a few seconds of the flight!!
Dang that looks like it WAS a good looking model. Yes porpoising be hard to control, you got to catch it just right, lucky I was shown how very early in my flying career. Tough luck.

Ken
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2020, 12:17 AM
Mr Birdie ~ Flight Expert
Flew my sons FPV plane. Hit a 84" gas stick at about 200ft up.
He was a bit unhappy. :/
Spent the next 3 weeks rebuilding it.
Feb 05, 2020, 01:31 AM

Before and........... After

Two great flying planes, the Great Planes Proud Bird and the RipMax XCalibur Plus Jet. Sadly both went in due to the same thing. Both had wing failures and watched them hit the ground.
Feb 09, 2020, 10:17 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
Sorry to say that all these great crashed planes photos make me feel better about my less than average flying skills. Thanks for posting!

Funny story. A few Saturdays ago there was a beautiful overcast winter day so about 10 of us ended up at our flying field enjoying the windless weather.

I took my favourite powered glider and a DHC-2 on Skis.

The Gentle Lady was flying really well with an odd sense of thermal lift occurring despite the -10 degrees C temperature. Flying went well until I decided to probe the height of the low hanging clouds.......What could go wrong.....right?.....White plane in white sky?

Anyway, I could tell I was just at the underside of the clouds since the glider was slipping in and out of the clouds. I looked down to flip a switch and back up....Dooh!....where did it go?

Cut throttle and waited for it to reappear. It didnít. Asked others to watch and added gentle right rudder too. After 10 minutes, we gave up assuming a fly away....I was pretty sad realizing how much I liked floating the gentle lady around in the sky like a seagull.

Fast foreword a week, and I get an email from the guys who said Pierre spotted a white bag just into the forest at the far end of the field. Yup, apparently the glider crashed there with significant front end damage. The wing had blown 100 yards away but was undamaged. Thanks to Eagle Eyes Pierre!

Long storey short, took about 5 hours to rebuild the front end with spare balsa, $9 for a replacement servo, and recover front and tail with yellow heat shrink....I let you guess why...ha.

Spit100
Last edited by Spit100; Feb 09, 2020 at 10:37 AM.
Feb 18, 2020, 07:52 PM
Denny the "Finger"

The thread I love to follow...

...but hate to post ! LOL

Here is my recent crushing defeat...
A 26 Invader Maiden Flight (3 min 8 sec)
Feb 24, 2020, 02:06 PM

WOW.. Really sorry about this

I'm a little late to this. I have the same plane and did not hear the video. What happened??? Any idea what caused it????? I have not had any issues with mine Just wondering???
Feb 24, 2020, 09:54 PM
Low And Slow 3D Pilot
I exploded another one lol
Feb 24, 2020, 09:58 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
was that a printed airframe?

looks like it landed a little HOT.
Feb 24, 2020, 10:09 PM
Low And Slow 3D Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
was that a printed airframe?

looks like it landed a little HOT.
It was. The plane disintegrated mid flight
Mar 02, 2020, 07:39 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
Freewing F-18 crash

FREEWING F 18 TAKE OFF CRASH (1 min 17 sec)
Mar 13, 2020, 01:04 PM
Quadaholic
All this evidence is the main reason I mostly fly indestructible quads, 20,000 flights (2.5yrs) and one $8 broken arm with hundreds of crashes that took 6 screws to replace. (Ok, I did go through some 37 cent props) Wish I had a better picture of this one point landing.
Mar 13, 2020, 11:10 PM

Yeowch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Wright
...but hate to post ! LOL

Here is my recent crushing defeat...
Gosh that's painful to watch.. what a beautiful plane and video rig..

what the heck caused it.. do you think the ESC blew up and you lost all power and control when the Receivers instantly failed and locked? .. I feel for you and your loss.. Thanks for posting this vid tho..
JimS
Mar 15, 2020, 10:06 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
We had three crashes at my local field today. Very SAD day
Mar 26, 2020, 09:54 AM
Denny the "Finger"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123
Gosh that's painful to watch.. what a beautiful plane and video rig..

what the heck caused it.. do you think the ESC blew up and you lost all power and control when the Receivers instantly failed and locked? .. I feel for you and your loss.. Thanks for posting this vid tho..
JimS
Thx Jim, I don't have a definitive answer yet, but yes, something like that. Something went wrong with the power to the receiver, but haven't got it narrowed down. The control surfaces were jittering like crazy on the way down so power was there, but it was messed up by some kind of short or other failure. The odd thing is that it had rather extensive ground testing, hours of taxi and set up time with the same system I use on my successful twin elecs.

Life has been a little crazy lately so I haven't been digging into it.

Quick Reply