Sep 08, 2006, 07:08 PM
MIKE.

Sounds good to me. Good luck on the maiden.

Cheers. Paddy.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2006, 11:55 AM
hey Mike ,,

Best wishes on your test flight ,,, 130/lb should be plenty
Guess I'm a member of the "Sorta Overkill Club " @ 450w+ but the MEga was the only motor I had on hand suitable for this plane .Then again I'm a little heavier... Throttled back with a 4300mah pack it's good mix of duration and performance ,,,"the grunt" is on tap if I need it .
Hope you'll really enjoy this gal ~

Take care
-HEnry

Quote:
To absorb 500+ Watts you are going to need a bigger prop altogether ---or even a four blader.
I'd be more concerned at pushing the Slow Flyer prop at that level.... yikes !

@ Tommy ,,,
continued g'luck with the assembly , I found the supplied tailwheel too big as well,,, I found one in my parts drawer that's worked out really well,,,the wheel is pretty small. even though it's not the prettiest thing around it works great ,,, good thing I snapped a pic ,I need to adjust that collar !
Last edited by the Swamp Fox; Sep 09, 2006 at 12:14 PM.
Sep 09, 2006, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpilot
IMHO 503W is total overkill on this plane. After all who wants a Scale Spitfire scooting around like a pylon racer. Not scale at all.

And 11 x 4.7 will require far to much RPM to give you good speed anyway.
Don't forget DIA gives you thrust. PITCH gives you speed. Always aim for a good balance between these two parameters. You have to match the prop characteristics to both RPM and Watts.

To absorb 500+ Watts you are going to need a bigger prop altogether ---or even a four blader.

Cheers. Paddy.
I agree that 500+ Watts is overkill and its also over the motor rating of 425. Scale or not, I am not looking for pylon speed anyhow...so maybe you misunderstood. That is why I am not using that prop. This is also with TWO TP 2100's in parrallel. On one batt, it was 418 on the 11x7SF, but the amp draw was too high for one battery to contend with.
On the 11x4.7, the watts are 384 and it doesn't take a lot of RPM's to fly the plane with this motor and prop. Its normally at 1/2 to just a little above for good cruising speed. I would have used an 11x5.5E had it fit in the spinner.
A four blade prop would be a no go as I dont have landing gear.
I know pitch is related to speed and that is why Im using the 11x4.7. Anything higher and the plane rockets around too fast for anything close to scale.
Sep 09, 2006, 06:04 PM
KAHLOQ.

If it flys fine for you---thats all that matters.

Cheers. Paddy.
Sep 09, 2006, 06:10 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Henry

Thanks for the photo. I may just use the tail wheel provided, my field is rough on landing gears. The trip to the LHS almost proved to be very $$$, they had the new Hanger 9 Sopwith Camel in stock.

Where have you guys made exit holes for cooling?

Thanks

Tommy D
Sep 09, 2006, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Henry

Thanks

Tommy D
Inlets.

Outlets.

Cheers. Paddy.
Sep 09, 2006, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Henry

Thanks for the photo. I may just use the tail wheel provided, my field is rough on landing gears. The trip to the LHS almost proved to be very $$$, they had the new Hanger 9 Sopwith Camel in stock.

Thanks

Tommy D
I saw that Sopwith at my LHS as well and was tempted
Sep 11, 2006, 09:54 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Thanks for the tips on the cooling holes!

Getting ready for the NEAT fair so not much time has gone into the Spitty recently. Tonight I decided to glue in some velcro and check to see where exactly I'm at , C of G wise.

With my pair of PQ packs all the way forward the model balances perfectly at the 7.5CM mark. Just 1 problem though.... I have yet to install the tail wheel!

Ill see what kind of surgery it will require to get these 2 brick packs more forward. Worst case Ill beef up the front mount with some triangle stock and add an ounce or so up in the cowl.

Gosh... I hate dead weight!

Tommy D
Sep 12, 2006, 04:24 AM
It's better to add weight than have your CG too far aft---and lose the bird.

Cheers. Paddy.
Last edited by oldpilot; Sep 13, 2006 at 05:27 PM.
Sep 12, 2006, 04:57 AM
Account closed
Yeah, again another Brushless Motor that is perhaps light in weight and thereby causing the model's CG too AFT.

I would certainly consider moving those battery packs forward and eliminate anything in there way forward!

Lets not have an episoide of handful ugliness during take-off!
Sep 12, 2006, 12:53 PM
AMA #851612
The time is upon us where electric model manufacturers need to design the model with brushless in mind. It's happening, slowly but surely...
Sep 12, 2006, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Gosh... I hate dead weight!
Mine will need at least an ounce maybe more. Not bad considering my little GWS spit need almost 2oz - that made a 16oz ship almost 18oz....

2oz on this one is no big deal...I knew I should have the larger motor if just for that.

Mike
Sep 13, 2006, 04:46 PM
Good news gang - Sparky is going to do a cowl for me.

For those who don't know Keith (Sparky) he is a master model builder and all around good guy...I put a couple of pics of his recent work just to let you know his cowl should be "just fine"......

I will post pics and instructions on how to get the cowl from Sparky soon - stay tuned!

Mike
Last edited by pda4you; Sep 13, 2006 at 04:51 PM.
Sep 13, 2006, 05:00 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you
Good news gang - Sparky is going to do a cowl for me.

For those who don't know Keith (Sparky) he is a master model builder and all around good guy...I put a couple of pics of his recent work just to let you know his cowl should be "just fine"......

I will post pics and instructions on how to get the cowl from Sparky soon - stay tuned!

Mike
Thats great news! He's useing the "non" Ripmax cowl was his guide?

Like I said put me in line! I have one of his Cowls on my Formosa II and it looks really neat!

Tommy D
Sep 13, 2006, 05:26 PM
Warbird crazy!
Thanks Mike

Good news indeed.
I have not had a response from HA sales or Nitro Models to my e mails asking about spare parts .

Those air liners are just amazing .

John and Christo

Quick Reply