Aug 26, 2005, 09:19 AM

Scratch Built 203" A-380 within one month

I want to introduce one of my club members who is very talented to build large scale model airplane in very short period of time and with extremely low budget.

His name is Jae Kwon Ryu. For last 7 years, he has built around 300, YES 300!! airplane from scratch. In some cases, he made two airplanes in a week. In the beginning, he built speed 400 can motor powered plane. Year after year, his airplane became bigger and bigger. He broke his own record every time he made new one. About one third of his planes were PSS and remaining were electric powered.

Here are some pictures of his previous works.

A-300

B-29

B-29 Landing

Korean Air B-747

B-747 Ready for takeoff

Generally, most of R/Cer has engineering talent. But he has artistic one. So his early days planes had weak structure and the flight performance was just marginal for flying. The lack of engineering proficiency has been improved continuously by trial and error method whenever he built new one.

He doesn’t value the longevity of his plane. He is eager to give others the transmitter. Even I crashed his beautifully built airplane during maiden flight several times.
He didn't mind crash. He just regards it as a chance to try another attempt.
That kind of attitude made him the King of Large Airplane in Korea.

His recent work is A-380, span is 202". Estimated weight is 22 lbs. Roughly material cost, except motor and battery, were around 200$. Servos and receivers are confiscated from previous work.

In this size of A-380, he need one month from design to finish.

How is it possible? Let me investigate the poor man's big airplane construction method

<to be continued...>
Last edited by xeviousclub; Aug 26, 2005 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Add picture
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2005, 02:43 PM
Trapped in California
Very nice planes. I believe it - this hobby really isn't that expensive as most people think it is.
Aug 26, 2005, 02:53 PM
Wow! With just a little "smoke" trailing from each engine nacelle, that last pic could easily be mistaken for the real thing! Excellent work!

CTF
Aug 26, 2005, 02:53 PM
Another interesting A380 project. I think these documents may help
http://technical-data.mut-01.custome.../html/mfp.html
Aug 26, 2005, 05:56 PM
Go FASST or go home...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviousclub
Let me investigate the poor man's big airplane construction method

<to be continued...>
Don't let us down on this one - more info would be very interesting! I can see that these jets are not EDF's since there is a prop in pusher config on the 747. Very nice airliners - constiction material - foam??

Ben_E
Aug 26, 2005, 06:17 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Extremely talented builder. Would like to see more pics.
Aug 26, 2005, 06:38 PM

Previous Works

You can see 4.2m span B-747, similar sized MD-11

Everything is big. So you can only tell the size when people are around it
Aug 28, 2005, 02:06 AM

Main body with retractable undercarriage

The mid secion of body was cut from several block of styrofoam. The retractble landing gear assembly is home made and designed by himself. The number of tires are total 22.
Last edited by xeviousclub; Aug 28, 2005 at 03:12 AM.
Aug 28, 2005, 02:36 AM

The interanl structure

His building method is start from carving a block of styrofoam with knife.

After carving and sanding the exterior, he carved out the inner part of fuselage with hot wire. The body becomes very thin layer of styrofoam.

After covering with cheap film used for signboard, the weak fuselage become relatively strong but very light.

The beauty of his construction is realistic looking and low speed due to light weight.

Attached are some of previous works.
Aug 29, 2005, 07:45 AM

Wing Panel

Here is the right wing panel with temporary mounted gear. Aileron, flap and spoilers are activated by different servos.

On the receiver side, there are 4 receivers those have same frequency crystals.

The original plan was to equip fowler flaps. But it was canceled because it is too complex to manipulate.
Aug 29, 2005, 01:06 PM
E-Flight Addict
That looks awesome !! Don't worry about the work bench, looks exactly like mine does !!
Aug 29, 2005, 01:34 PM
Why aren't you out flyin?
I agree, this is fascinating. Does he do all the hot wire work by hand or does he have a cnc cutter? He may be an artist but is one great engineer as well.
What part of Korea are you guys in?
-Rick
Aug 29, 2005, 04:43 PM
Suspended Account
Xeviousclub,

Nice work. I want to see more Koreans on this web site.

Good luck.
Aug 29, 2005, 07:15 PM

The location and foam cutting

Korea is small country and divided by north and south. I live in Seoul, capital city of South Korea. From end to end, it takes 6 hours driving. All domestic flight is within an hour. About half of Korea people live in Seoul and surrounding area(Gyeonggi province).

Majority of flying club member are based on Seoul and Gyeonggi province. Some are scattered all over the country and few are in overseas.

Jae Kwon live in Seongnam city, 30 minutes drive from Seoul. Every weekend, club members enjoy flying at several different flying fields or mountains. Our favorite is slope soaring at the peak of the mountain. Four times every year, we have club event like 'PSS pageant' or 'Camp with family members'.

He don't have CNC. Everything is manual by himself.

Quick Reply