May 04, 2002, 07:51 AM
Thread OP
Help!

Help me finish a 1/7 scale "Top Flite" F4U Corsair. Also need some other advise.

Howdy!

I would like someone in the Austin, Tx. metro area to finish, or assist me in final sanding, prime & painting my 1/7 scale
"Top Flite" Gold edition F4U Corsair, Model: (TOPA0100) Circa 1991 I think?

This was my first attempt at building an R/C plane. I would have to pick one of the more difficult. (Gull wing) However, it is my favorite warbird! P-40e would be #2

Some features include: Glassed (fuse & 64" wing), Robart main & rear wheel pneumatic retracts, functional flaps, Supertigre-s90,
custom cockpit, (hoping to make a sliding canopy), cowl, etc.

Also would like some advise on the 90 degree rotating main retracts.

No longer do I have the space, or the time needed to complete it. Just a shame having it hang from the ceiling unfinished

If you know where I can get some help on this, please let me know...Bob
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2002, 11:33 AM
Official Boat Bum
Try attending your local RC club meeting and ask around. If you join up as a new member you will get the help you need finishing and flying the airplane. I'll bet most will try to talk you into taking your time with finishing and setting up your Corsair.

You said it was your first RC plane - have you flown other ARF's or models before? You will need some assistance if you haven't to have success. You will also likely need to buy an ARF model to abuse while you lear the basics. That way your Corsair doesn't have to be beaten to a pulp and it can stay in flying condition while the ARF trainer gets the initial punishment. The Corsiar can be appreciated as soon as you get the basics down, as long as you have an instructor help you out a lot along the way.

Best of luck!!!
May 04, 2002, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Thanx for the reply and the advice,

Yes I have flown, but not in some time.

I have an ARF with 2 Futaba radios, 4 and 7 channel with a buddy cable. I plan to continue using it until I feel comfortable risking the Corsair. Have many $$ and time into it. That wing saddle was a real pain!!
I've also heard it is not the easiest to fly.

...Bob
May 04, 2002, 06:31 PM
Official Boat Bum
Bob-

I think you are on the right track. Try to find an instructor who you enjoy flying with and who specializes in warbirds, or tailwheel models at the least.... and go fly. Fly as much as possible and get yourself to the point where you feel very confident on the trainer again, especially with spins, aerobatics and lots of landings.

The Corsair is a great flying model. I had the Gold Edition Corsair with a Supertigre .91, but with fixed gear and no flaps. Some say it has bad stall tendancies, but I never felt it did anything that any other higher wing loading aircraft did. One reason is I was very careful on the CG balancing, I was slightly foward on CG all the time, and my model was fairly light.

With the retracts and flaps you will up the weight slightly and have delecate legs, especially with the Supertigre .91 in the nose. Sooo, if your weight is still not in the stratosphere you might want to squeeze an onboard ignition setup in to reduce deadsticks. At that weight you will come down in a hurry with a dead engine, so reduce the likelyhood if possible.

It's a sweet flyer and it looks WAY COOL out there doing it's thing on a nice day.

By the way, I hope mine is still flying somewhere - I sold it to finance other projects. It was in good shape when I last saw it at least!
May 04, 2002, 06:44 PM
Thread OP
Do you remember what the engine angle you had to use compared to the .60 that was on the original plans?

and do you have any building pics?
May 04, 2002, 08:25 PM
Official Boat Bum
I may be wrong but I think I used the standard engine mounting angle - nothing special for the .91 engine other than a pitts muffler and a scale radial dummy engine facade. Beleive it or not, the rdial engine facade helps the cooling and baffles air in a better manner to cool the motor.

The dummy engine and a center drop tank added a lot to the looks. I never flew the model with the tank as It was a later addition I put in, and hadn't flown with it on before selling it.

Unfortunately I don't have any construction photos, and my finished photos are non-digital.

Ed

Quick Reply