Aug 22, 2005, 10:41 AM
Thread OP

EDJ Retracts vs. Spring Air. Are Spring Air's with 50% more $$$.

Hi All,

Question...........going to buy retracts today. Both systems come with everything needed and appear to be about the same weight. Are Spring Air's worth 50% more money. $100 compared to $150.

What are your thoughts on them and bext place to get Spring Airs?

Thanks,

Brian
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2005, 11:07 AM
I assume you meant to type EJF (Electric Jet Factory). I haven't seen those personally but they look to have plastic housings, not sure though. Not sure on size either but I assume they are smaller than normal retracts. They're probably fine. If you hit hard enough, plastic breaks and metal can bend so bad that you can't bend it back, so take your pick!

The springiar 602s have metal frames and are probably more durable because they are metal but that's just an semi educated guess.

I have the older design EJF retracts with a metal body. They are nice, fairly sturdy for normal landings on a 6 lb plane but hit super hard and they bend. By super hard I mean high speed flyby with gear down and sink into the runway and tear up the airplane super hard! They are about 1/16 of an inch less deep than the springairs. I guess Robert at EJF can't get them any more, but a very similar design may be available from Jet Hangar Hobbies.
Aug 22, 2005, 11:19 AM
The new EJFs appear to be very similar to the B&D ones on the Tower website. I got a set from EJF and while they're quite nice, they're also larger and heavier than I envisioned.
Aug 22, 2005, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
Sguty,

I see the EJF's are 6.5ozs with everything and the SA's are 4ozs for mains without struts. So I would think they are about the same weight for a 3 gear set no? The di mensions of both are about the same as well based on the specs.

Thanks,

Brian
Aug 22, 2005, 02:20 PM
smug in granny panties
I also have a set of the EJF's, and while they seem rugged enough they are not small. I do like the little simple valve they use though.

Barry
Aug 22, 2005, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Barry,

I have not used either so what do you suggest. Do you think they weigh the same. will they be ok for a 6-8lb plane. Do you like SA's better?

Thanks,

Brian
Aug 22, 2005, 02:43 PM
I use the EJF. There just fine and about the same size as the springair. You'll be waiting for ever too for the springair as most do. If you can get your hands on a set easily I'd say go for it. They hold up well under 5-7 pounds.

Steve
Aug 22, 2005, 03:03 PM
Suspended Account
Took four months to get a set of spring-air retracts, and the supplier was sold out on back orders alone... If you find them in stock (confirm it for sure) order up a set.

Bob
Aug 22, 2005, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
So then you guys are saying if you get get tghem, there is that much oif a difference to be worth it???

Quick Reply