Aug 22, 2005, 04:00 AM
electric head
Thread OP

Convering for beginners

Hi,

I just bought myself a Jomaji Hydro-Plane. The kit requires that certain EPP parts are covered in Solite. I'm from the AFR generation so all this covering stuff looks really complicated. I have two rolls of covering material and an iron.

Where can I get some information on basic covering technique?

Thanks,
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2005, 07:58 AM
There's a basic guide at http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/ . Go to "How to" then "Instructions" and choose "Solarfilm" page 2.

Other manufacturer's probably have www instructions for their products, but once you've got the iron temperature correct, application is basically the same for all iron-on products.
Aug 22, 2005, 12:48 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
These are more general articles on covering.

Covering
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=67
http://www.rcfaq.com/answers/covering/index.htm
Aug 23, 2005, 02:05 AM
You might also want to look here:

http://www.eflight101.com/building/covering/

I've put up some links to covering articles.

Johan
Aug 23, 2005, 07:16 AM
I bought a Top Flite Monokote covering video at Tower hobbies so I could actually watch someone do a covering job.

Then I found the "For the Solite challenged" thread doing some searches for covering info.

I also got Harry Higley's "There Are No Secrets" book which has a section on covering.

Then I built and covered the MM Dandy. It turned out pretty nice. I just did the sport wing for it last week. I'm getting pretty good at it.

Since you're covering EPP, do some searches on "covering foam" and "covering EPP" in the Flying Wings section.

Slofly.com has a short video clip showing how he covers his wings.

I think most people use 3M 77 to cover EPP.

David
Oct 03, 2005, 11:17 AM

Also new to covering

I am assembling the Cessna 180 from Mountain Models. I looked through threads on this plane and most people did a two-tone color scheme. Is this done with 2 colors of covering material? If so, do you just layer the second covering over the first for the details?

Thanks,
Dave
Oct 03, 2005, 12:36 PM
RC Geek
Dave,

On your Cessna, did you get any clear doculam in the kit with it? Doug seems to include it in most of his kits. If so, its a real nice covering to work with, and then you can paint it. (Though I have had some trouble getting the paint to stick.)

Otherwise yes, you can use multiple colors of solite. You don't need to cover the whole thing in one color and then layer the second color. You can as an example cover the top of a wing in one color, and then the bottom in a second color, and just over-lap by 1/2 inch or so where they meet. If the second color is just a trim color though, it might be easier to cover it first with the base color, and then apply the trim over top.

_Scott
Oct 03, 2005, 04:21 PM
No covering came with the kit. I purchased solite in a white and yellow. I was planning on doing most of the plane in white with only detailing in yellow.

-Dave
Oct 03, 2005, 04:25 PM
RC Geek
Dave,

No problem, solite is good stuff. I would just go ahead then if its just trim in Yellow and cover the whole thing in White, and then apply the trim over top.

If its your first time covering, just go slow and take your time. It gets easier the more you do.

-Scott

Quick Reply