Aug 21, 2005, 01:56 PM
Designing on the edge
Thread OP

AerodromeRC 1/6th scale Fokker EIII and GWS powered 1/12th scale Fokker DR.1

The 1/6th scale Fokker EIII is now in our workshop for order. There were some last minute changes in the design but nothing that was major. She still has spoked wheels, under camber, dummy engine, dummy machine gun, scale undercarriage, scale ribs and sub ribs. I did spec. Kevlar or equivalent rigging in the the undercarriage for strength. The UC in this model is not inherently strong without the rigging. It is Fokker's design, that I mimicked which requires it. I designed the model for the AXI 2820 Direct Drive brushless but any planetary drive power system with a max diameter of 1.4147” with equivalent power should work as well. I added balsa strip stock for the rear of the fuselage in the kit as well as 1/32” decking plywood so almost no additional wood will be needed. The longerons will have to be spliced since I did not have enough length in my laser cut stock. Other than that 3/8” dia. carbon fiber tube or dowels for the leading edge,¼” dia. carbon fiber tubing and trailing edge/aileron stock need to be obtained locally. Of course, the odd bits of metal tubing, rigging post dowel and LG music wire are also required.. All in all, a pretty close to full kit and for a 66” wingspan, pretty nice.

Also, I have finished the design of the 1/12th scale 23 3/8" ws Fokker Dr.1 for GWS power. The new kit will be available in our workshop section in a week or so. It features no dihedral, nearly scale airfoils and pull-pull ailerons sharing a servo with with rudder control. Just like the Alabatros DII for GWS power released last month, this kit features nearly all wood required to complete the kit. Laser cut parts for accurate fit. So for those wanting a triplane with more scale accuracy and looks in a small size, this model is for you.

www.aerodromerc.com
Last edited by AerodromeRC; Aug 21, 2005 at 02:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2005, 08:30 PM
I'll be watching for the Dr.1. I've wanted one for a long time, but they were always too big, flew too poorly, or were constructed of foam.

Quick Reply