Oct 14, 2012, 12:25 AM
Ok guys you helped me a great deal on my AP slow stick. I need a prop adapter for the super tigre 400...Anyone know the size so I can get the right adapter? One more thing. I am working on my slow stick Bi plane and got the items from Ratical RC to change my regular slow stick to a bi slow stick. I did a search and did not get much. Anyone knows if there are good threads on this site for that build...thanks...Or does anyone have a close up pic of how the wings are attached with the rubber bands?
Last edited by thor4944; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2012, 09:25 AM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam
Flew my blue SS for the first time since spring. It had somehow developed a kink halfway through the left side of the wing where the faux aileron meets the rear spar, and this caused the Stick to wanna dive and pull to the left. It was bad enough to where I had almost written off the wing and tossed it.

Instead, I gave it a new lease on life by cutting off the scallops on the wing and running 4mm carbon tubes full length on either side. This straightened out that kink that induced poor flight characteristics. Lost a few inches of wing area but doesn't fly noticeably faster. Wing matches the clipped elevator now too.
It actually looks great too! Am I actually going to be shamed into painting my Slow Stick?
Oct 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
<<<<I|I>>>>
Thor - the Super Tigre 400 uses a 3mm prop adapter.

I haven't seen an actual build thread on the Radical bipe wing mount, but just assemble the wooden parts together and wick the joints with thin CA. Toss 'em on your fuse and shoot for a 5 3/8" CG on the top wing as a starting point, adjust to your liking and you're done. See this post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7&postcount=75

RR - Yes, you should! Custom paint as you probably know adds a few more horsepower if applied correctly.

Well folks, I've received 3 more replacement SS wing sets hoping that at least one of them would match either one of the two mismatched wings that I cut up for my mega twin-boom Stick. As it happens, they don't match either of them. They are thinner and have the plastic wing support relief just like the typical kit wings. What's more, they all arrived with creases in them. Otherwise, I now have everything to complete the build.
Oct 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
I just dont understand how the top wing is attached to the wood with the rubber band.....??? thanks for the prop adaptor...Ok guys I figured it out...like tinker toys...had to use my brain..thanks...Pics later..thanks.
Last edited by thor4944; Oct 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Oct 15, 2012, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor4944
I just dont understand how the top wing is attached to the wood with the rubber band.....??? thanks for the prop adaptor...Ok guys I figured it out...like tinker toys...had to use my brain..thanks...Pics later..thanks.

Can't wait to see it.

You may be aging yourself when you talk about tinker toys.
Oct 15, 2012, 10:17 PM
352nd FG Association

Warbird Day 2012 at SMRCF

Here's a few pics of my Slow Stick participating in Warbird Day last Saturday at my flying club (Stone Mountain RC Flyers - Georgia).

The pics with the RC cars on the runway, was a time filler between events that another member and I came up with at the last minute. I was supposed to tap one of my main wheels on the roof of either car as they were driving down the runway. With 8mph winds gusting to 13mph and constantly changing directions, it was pretty much impossible. Best I could do was get within 1 ft. of the roof of the black car.

Obviously the third pic is from the bomb drop competition. That "bomb" is actually a wing tank off a 21st Century Toys P-51 (1st edition). Since it was windy, the NERF bomb wasn't going to be accurate at all, and I came in 2nd with this bomb.
Oct 16, 2012, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam
Here's a few pics of my Slow Stick participating in Warbird Day last Saturday at my flying club (Stone Mountain RC Flyers - Georgia).
Yes! The Slow Stick invades another cloistered retreat of the hoity toities!! And you stole second place there from all those high falutin ME-109s, P-51s and Stukas. Slow Stick rules!!

Now someone needs to make a thermal soaring Slow Stick and attack the elite sailplane flight duration contests somewhere!
Oct 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
Well if you make a big FFF KF2 wing it will soar but still not soar as good as a Radian but close.
Oct 16, 2012, 06:21 PM
Nobody's tried a folding prop and a good set of built-up 100" wings yet, have they?
Oct 16, 2012, 06:51 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Yep, a local flyer did. He even went as far as going to a higher aspect ratio wing by cutting off the trailing edge. All things considered, it was a bit of a pig, but he's not particularly known for his light-weight SS builds. My "normal" SS set-up out thermaled his very easily. It helped that I've got a little bit of glider experience, and the thermals that day were huge hat-suckers.
Oct 17, 2012, 11:35 PM
352nd FG Association
Glider drop worked perfectly today!! Did 3 drops but the 2nd one almost took out both planes from "pilot error".

On the 2nd drop I pulled up to soon and the glide caught the tail and got hung up for a good bit. Long enough to drag the Slow Stick down at a 45 degree angle, and didn't break free until litterally 4 feet off the ground. Just in time for me to pull level and land!! I wish someone had been there to film it!

The little glider basically just drops off and does a left turn descending pattern, or wide spiral. I'm thinking I might add servos, small lipo and Rx to make it controllable. Or hook up someone's ultra micro to it.

I just finished making a pan-tilt camera mount as well. I think I'm the only one here that hadn't done that already, so now I can join the list!! Of course you can tell in the pics, there's no way I can have the pan-tilt and glider on at the same time.
Oct 19, 2012, 12:48 AM
352nd FG Association

Test Drop Vids.

Edit clips of test drops. Shortest vid I've ever posted!!

Slow Stick Chute & Glider Drop (1 min 28 sec)
Oct 27, 2012, 12:50 AM
<<<<I|I>>>>
I like your pan-tilt mount, Moonbeam. is it functional via the sticks, or by toggle switches?
Oct 27, 2012, 12:59 AM
<<<<I|I>>>>
Last edited by phoam; Oct 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply