Aug 24, 2005, 04:54 PM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
What do ya think of a astro 020? I see you had one is a GWS F gearbox sinning a 14*7 giving a staggering 43.7 ounces of wind! Could this motor work with the E gearbox spinning a slightly smaller prop? Its just that the only himax my LHS sells are the 4100kv and the 4200kv.

If you want to there site is

www.greathobbies.com
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2005, 05:19 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_118
What do ya think of a astro 020? I see you had one is a GWS F gearbox sinning a 14*7 giving a staggering 43.7 ounces of wind! Could this motor work with the E gearbox spinning a slightly smaller prop? Its just that the only himax my LHS sells are the 4100kv and the 4200kv.

If you want to there site is

www.greathobbies.com
Works great but sure is overkill! You will really need to reinforce the wings with the additional carbon rod at the CG with a brass dihedral tube and reinforce the root rib wilth carbon rods front to back to keep the LE and TE from meeting when the forces are applied! I would also reinforce the tail feathers with a carbon rod. It would fly much like the Astro 020 SS Vids on my website. That weighed 32oz and had the heavy planetary GB and you can see how it flys. www.boomerseflight.com
boomer
Aug 24, 2005, 05:31 PM

Himaxx 2812-0850

What do you guys think of the Himaxx 2812-0850 for a simple slowstick, and what kind of battery and ESC should I get?

Paul
Aug 24, 2005, 05:38 PM
Hmmm if the Astro 020 is that much of an overkill maybe I should just stick with a PJS 800 with a 10*4.7. This setup will save me about 100 bucks compaired to the astro system, and it can give up to 28 ounces of thrust. That should work. Now just ot pick out the esc...........
Aug 24, 2005, 07:45 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Bird 22
What do you guys think of the Himaxx 2812-0850 for a simple slowstick, and what kind of battery and ESC should I get?

Paul
Paul,
I would run it on a 3S lipo pack with 10 X 4.7 APC SF prop and that would pull about 11 to 12A so a Phoenix 10 would work fine for the speed control. Take your pick on the 3S lipo. The larger the capacity the longer the flight times. I would go for a 3S1P in the 2000 range if it were me. That would give you about 135W and compared to a 400 on 3S lipos thats 35 more watts of power! Would fly the bird just great and you could get by without reinforcing the wing other than the proper LE and TE rod installation with epoxy and 2" 3M clear packing tape.
boomer
Aug 24, 2005, 07:50 PM
Boomer,
Can the Eflite 400 4200kv motor(brushless) be put into my "E" gearbox and still give decent preformance on a 2cell lipo? Just trying to work with what I have.
Aug 24, 2005, 09:54 PM
Master of 1 point landing
One thing with my slowstick is REALLY wide turns with just the rudder. Anybody mix Rudder and put alerons on this thing to turn quicker? (Rudder as master). From what Ive seen, alerons are really sort of sloppy on this plane alone, but I was thinking if I mixed it with the rudder, turns could be quicker.

Do most folks lengthen the rudder with scrap left over from the kit?
Aug 24, 2005, 10:00 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quote:
Boomer,
Can the Eflite 400 4200kv motor(brushless) be put into my "E" gearbox and still give decent preformance on a 2cell lipo? Just trying to work with what I have.
I don't have the specs on that motor but doubt a 2S pack would do much.
Anybody know the motor?? Jump in here!
boomer
Aug 24, 2005, 10:03 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBiggles
One thing with my slowstick is REALLY wide turns with just the rudder. Anybody mix Rudder and put alerons on this thing to turn quicker? (Rudder as master). From what Ive seen, alerons are really sort of sloppy on this plane alone, but I was thinking if I mixed it with the rudder, turns could be quicker.

Do most folks lengthen the rudder with scrap left over from the kit?
You need more throw on the rudder! Control rod in far out hole on servo and drill another hole in the rudder control horn closer to the rudder! Lengthening the rudder will help but you still need more throw!
boomer
Aug 24, 2005, 10:09 PM
I gotta get something by friday because thats when I'll be in the city. So far I have these in mind:

Astro 020 in GWS F with a 14*7 prop
PJS 800E
Park 400 4200kv
Nippy 1812 with 11*4.7 prop
S400 G gearbox 12*6 prop

It seems if I go brushless I might as well go for the max thrust since the difference from the smallest brushless I am thinking of and the biggest is only 50bucks or so. Hmmmm. This was supposed to be simple. All I want is some power for AP.

Is there anyway the S400 "E" gearbox would lift my 25-30oz plane?
Aug 24, 2005, 10:34 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quote:
I gotta get something by friday because thats when I'll be in the city. So far I have these in mind:

Astro 020 in GWS F with a 14*7 prop
PJS 800E
Park 400 4200kv
Nippy 1812 with 11*4.7 prop
S400 G gearbox 12*6 prop

It seems if I go brushless I might as well go for the max thrust since the difference from the smallest brushless I am thinking of and the biggest is only 50bucks or so. Hmmmm. This was supposed to be simple. All I want is some power for AP.

Is there anyway the S400 "E" gearbox would lift my 25-30oz plane?
I found the specs on your Park 400 motor and ran it through Motocalc. Best I could get on 2S lipo in the E GB was 15oz thrust with any prop I tried. 10 thru 14 inch! Your brush moter does better!
boomer
Aug 24, 2005, 10:39 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
I ran the Nippy 1812 on 3S Lipo pack on 10 X 4.7 APC SF prop and got 36oz of thrust at 18A which is max for the motor! Got vertical on my 32oz plane and it's so quiet!
boomer
Aug 24, 2005, 11:00 PM
Do you think it will matter if I use the nippy and a regular 10*4.7 instead of the APC SF?
The Nippy is only $100 at my LHS, and I have the lipo so all I need is the ESC. This may be the motor I end up buying. The 20A brushless controller is $50 so that within my limits.

BTW-thanks for all your help with my never ending motor questions. You are a master of this feild as I have looked at almost everything on your site and am simply amazed. Great skills.
Aug 24, 2005, 11:18 PM
Wandering IT geek
I'm so very glad that the LHS is going to be open and having a "Huge Summer Sale" tomorrow (they've been closed the past three days) as the wind was unkind to my SS today.

After several very successful flights with lots of level flight (finding the CG REALLY helped!), many tightly and not so tightly banked turns, a bunch of loops and what not a cross wind kicked up just as I was running out of battery juice and attempting to turn upwind to land. The wind caused the plane to go straight up in the air, flop over the nose and plummet straight down towards the parking lot.

*chuckle* So, after 5 decently soft landings I lawn darted into the parking lot, breaking the prop and the motor mount. No biggie

So, tomorrow I'm off to the LHS for a new motor/motor mount. Guess epoxying the motor onto the Fuse was a bad idea

While I'm buying that I do think I'll pick up a Formosa and P-51D kit if they're being sold as a reasonable discount. I do appreciate the warnings that those in this forum have offered but I do feel as though I'm ready or close to ready for the next step. I'll build and bang up the Formosa first before building the P-51.

The Slow Stick will make a nice plane for my G/F to fly once she gets some more stick time with the Aerobird Commander (2 Chan V-Tail E-Glider).

Oh, another question comes to mind: While flying in the dark last night I bounced a bit too hard off the asphalt and broke a notch off the front landing gear slot. What's an easy way to fix this? I've CA'ed it and left it to dry on my workbench but suspect that CA won't keep it on.

Thanks,

Chris
Aug 24, 2005, 11:25 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quote:
Do you think it will matter if I use the nippy and a regular 10*4.7 instead of the APC SF?
The Nippy is only $100 at my LHS, and I have the lipo so all I need is the ESC. This may be the motor I end up buying. The 20A brushless controller is $50 so that within my limits.

BTW-thanks for all your help with my never ending motor questions. You are a master of this feild as I have looked at almost everything on your site and am simply amazed. Great skills.
I would pick up the APC SF prop if possible as it is much stiffer than the GWS props. The figures I quoted was with the APC Prop.
boomer

Quick Reply