Dec 29, 2007, 12:38 AM

Glue? Tape?

so i was reading around and i heard suggestions of using 5 minute epoxy and fiber glass reinforced packing tape instead of the supplied tape in the kit, however i looked around at a few places today and i didnt see any epoxy that specifically said foam safe, so i decided i would ask here for any specific brands or types that would work, same goes for the packing tape is there a brand i want to stick with or stay away from and should it be fiberglass reinforced?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2007, 12:42 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
3M tape rules IMO. I like strapping tape (has the strings in it) for strength, but packing tape works pretty good. Never used epoxy on a SS. A buddy of mine just used some fiberglass tape on a home built foam wing, it is very light and strong... But I haven't tested myself yet.

Diggs
Dec 29, 2007, 03:31 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketsueki
so i was reading around and i heard suggestions of using 5 minute epoxy and fiber glass reinforced packing tape instead of the supplied tape in the kit, however i looked around at a few places today and i didnt see any epoxy that specifically said foam safe, so i decided i would ask here for any specific brands or types that would work, same goes for the packing tape is there a brand i want to stick with or stay away from and should it be fiberglass reinforced?
Pretty much any 5 min epoxy is fine on the SS wings.

DON'T use the supplied tape, it don't stick worth beans.

Check this thread...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727495

specifically here...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...26&postcount=8

I used contact cement to glue the wing halves together, then the 3M extreme fibreglass packing tape on top...
later I helped a buddy setup his SS, we used 5 min epoxy on his, worked very well...
Mine is holding up just fine and I have put it through some extreme (for a SS) manuvers.
brushless motor, flying in high winds, etc... had lots of wing flex, still flying...

Look here...

Slow Stick brushless motor (4 min 37 sec)(4 min 37 sec)(4 min 37 sec)

and here...

Slow Stick in TOO MUCH Wind! (2 min 16 sec)(2 min 16 sec)(2 min 16 sec)
Last edited by galaxiex; Dec 29, 2007 at 04:01 AM.
Dec 29, 2007, 04:10 AM
wow impressive, as far as cementing the wings together i heard of some one hot glueing the wings together, do you think this would work well?
Dec 29, 2007, 10:29 AM
Hot glue? probably work ok, I don't have much experience with it.
I have heard of others that use it for almost everything and claim great results.
Dec 29, 2007, 10:42 AM
OK, this thing flies like a dream. I want more speed though.

I have: 300 motor (stock), stock prop (1180) and 2 cell 750 lipos.

What's the most efficient way to give it a bit more performance without breaking the bank?
Dec 29, 2007, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes
OK, this thing flies like a dream. I want more speed though.

I have: 300 motor (stock), stock prop (1180) and 2 cell 750 lipos.

What's the most efficient way to give it a bit more performance without breaking the bank?
I use this motor, but with a TB 18 esc... not a rocket ship but great power for the SS...
(see my vid above, thats the motor I use in the vid with a 11X4.7 prop)
Good price on that combo, highly recommended.
Yes, you will need a 3 cell lipo and charger, but if you are going to stick with this hobby you will probably go lipo at some point anyway.
Oh wait, I reread your post, you have a lipo already,
can your charger handle a 3 cell?

In another thread, someone said, "once you go brushless there is no going back"

You don't HAVE to use a 3 cell lipo with this motor, but it works better if you do...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2410-09Y-Outrunn...QQcmdZViewItem

scroll down and read what he has to say about this on the slow stick, lots of good motor/prop info...
Reliable vendor...
Last edited by galaxiex; Dec 29, 2007 at 11:32 AM.
Dec 29, 2007, 10:52 AM
Hey Knoxes,

There are tons of suggestions earlier in this thread. Lots of folks go brushless with the SS and seem to be very pleased with the results. Not sure what "breaking the bank" range is, but you will want a 3S pack on the brushless setup. The BP08y and 09Y are great motors. http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A1190097

You can find these with an ESC combo on Ebay pretty cheap. But if you don't have any 3 cell packs and a charger for them, then it might get a little pricey. Again, don't know what your range is.

Another cheap easy suggestion would be to reduce the prop size. Might try a 9x6. That should allow the motor to spin faster. You will lose torque but gain speed. Not sure how all that works on a geared setup, but another motor you should consider if speed is your main concern is the BP 21

Diggs
Dec 29, 2007, 11:32 AM
I have a brushless esc that came with my Airtronics radio. But will the 2 cell lipos I have actually drive a brushless effectively? I also have a Cellpro 4S charger - will that charge a 3 cell?

edit - oops - just read your comments Diggs. I guess I don't mind buying another battery - if I have to.

edit #2 - clearly my reading comprehension if suffering due to over enthusiasm. Galaxiex - I don't know for sure about the charger.
Last edited by Knoxes; Dec 29, 2007 at 11:37 AM.
Dec 29, 2007, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketsueki
wow impressive, as far as cementing the wings together i heard of some one hot glueing the wings together, do you think this would work well?

Yup! I've done that to most of my GWS planes including the Slow Stick. You only have to be sure that the hot is not too hot so as to melt the foam. Once you glue it, use a wet finger to smooth the glue (quickly though as it can burn you!)
Dec 29, 2007, 11:59 AM
Knoxes,
I just looked up your charger...
It should easily handle charging a 3 cell

You could use the 2410-09 motor on a 2 cell but you will only get about 14 oz. of thrust with a 11X4.7 prop...

24 oz. of thrust with a 3 cell...

Any idea what your brushless esc amp rating is?
Dec 29, 2007, 11:59 AM
Oh yeah, for tape, 3M Extreme packing tape is da bomb!
Dec 29, 2007, 02:16 PM
Not a thing wrong with the 9Y, but if you are going for all out speed on the SS you will get more from this one. Same seller, but I have never done biz with them. I can't recommend them, since I haven't. I think others here have and were happy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2210-21-Outrunne...QQcmdZViewItem

use like an 8x6 prop on that and the SS will scoot!

Diggs
Dec 29, 2007, 02:22 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Not a thing wrong with the 9Y, but if you are going for all out speed on the SS you will get more from this one. Same seller, but I have never done biz with them. I can't recommend them, since I haven't. I think others here have and were happy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2210-21-Outrunne...QQcmdZViewItem

use like an 8x6 prop on that and the SS will scoot!

Diggs
Video on my website (www.boomerseflight.com) of a SS with that motor so you can see how it flys.
boomer
Dec 29, 2007, 03:06 PM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex
I use this motor, but with a TB 18 esc... not a rocket ship but great power for the SS...
(see my vid above, thats the motor I use in the vid with a 11X4.7 prop)
Good price on that combo, highly recommended.
Yes, you will need a 3 cell lipo and charger, but if you are going to stick with this hobby you will probably go lipo at some point anyway.
Oh wait, I reread your post, you have a lipo already,
can your charger handle a 3 cell?

In another thread, someone said, "once you go brushless there is no going back"

You don't HAVE to use a 3 cell lipo with this motor, but it works better if you do...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2410-09Y-Outrunn...QQcmdZViewItem

scroll down and read what he has to say about this on the slow stick, lots of good motor/prop info...
Reliable vendor...

I use this combo and prop from this vendor (Jeff at Heads Up RC) and my SS is off in three or four feet and goes up at a very steep angle. Jeff is super helpful and seems to have tested many motor/prop/lipo volt combinations. Plus only $2 shipping no matter how much or how little you order which is hard to beat.

Quick Reply