Sep 23, 2007, 10:34 PM
I also installed some LED's on my SS this week and went flying two nights. Great fun!

Rick
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2007, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61ahs
I also installed some LED's on my SS this week and went flying two nights. Great fun!

Rick
Someone has to post pictures of this - It sounds fun. Nights tend to be quiet here, maybe I can get more air time.

DLC
Sep 24, 2007, 12:28 PM
Live free or die.
I use a few (three total, I think) of the Align Cold Light strings on my NotSoSlowNightStick (kids named it ) along with 2 10,000mcd LEDs on the nose.

Here's the link to the lights (I didn't buy them here):
http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/product_...?pid=BG78002-1

You also need the driver for about $10. I use one driver (has plugs for two lights) and splice into the connectors for more strings. I use a spare 2s1p LiPo to power it all, but you can plug into the receiver as well although not as bright. I've been flying at night for a few months now and have yet to charge the LiPo. Tower sells something similar but I haven't used them. Strings are form fitted to the SS and held on with clear packing tape. They are flush with the wing/tail leading/trailing edges so I can see from all angles.

I can fly the SS higher/further at night than during the day because it's so much easier to see at altitude. You won't even see the lights until it gets dark but once it does you'll see it a LOOONNNNG way off. I played with a few patterns but this works the best for me for orientation. Someone said it's very relaxing. It is - big time. I was surprised how different an experience it is flying at night - very peaceful. With DST ending it will probably be my only flying after work on weekdays. Just remember to take plenty of mosquito repellent

- Scott

Edit: I've since added port/starboard nav lights and a "strobed" pair of tail lights. These are the Maxx Products light kit for about $25.
Last edited by TheDBA; Nov 13, 2007 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added nav lights pics
Sep 24, 2007, 12:49 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
el-Wire. Or looks like it.
Tight.
Sep 24, 2007, 05:25 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Wow, that is far more elaborate than my setup of 4 LEDs. I have seen the "cold wire/string" and have wanted to pick some up. I think I will be forced to now. that is the perfect solution to my orientation issue with the LEDs. Right now mine looks like 4 LEDs in the air at night , yours still looks like a SS at night. I have heard there are blacklight LEDs out now. I would love to find some florescent paint and see if that reacts well to the blacklight LEDs. Paint the underside of the wing the flo green and with blackights, that would be visible for miles I think.

As far as the relaxing rating, I have to rank it up there with a jacuzzi and two martinis. I think quiet is a main factor, so I suggest going direct drive on the night flyer, and skipping the gearbox if you can. The silence is worth it IMO. Also, DST ending I will only get to fly in the dark after work, but can still get some daylight time in before i go to the office. I see a few of my planes getting the LED and Cold string/wire treatment. It's not a funjet/stryker thing , but the Magister and SS and even a SSX will do well. Heck, anything that is slow and quiet will work just fine. Now, I must remember to bring the lawn chair tonight!!

Diggs
Sep 24, 2007, 05:28 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
O ya, black light LED's have been out for some time. I used to use them in PC's. I have 4 sitting right here in fact..
Last edited by GFBurke; Sep 24, 2007 at 08:00 PM.
Sep 24, 2007, 07:53 PM
WAA pilot #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyDiggs
...As far as the relaxing rating, I have to rank it up there with a jacuzzi and two martinis. ...
hehe....
Sep 24, 2007, 09:17 PM
C-OHNO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanning

-back story-
Boomer recently PM'd me some comments about my 'Newbies Guide To the Slowstick', which i wrote about 3 or 4 years ago and is now horribly antiquated. It has never been updated , though it probably should be a 'living document' like Wikipedia. I would be really happy to incorporate changes, suggestions, setups and additional writing credits because its all for a good cause. heres the link;
http://mattsrc.rchomepage.com/ssir/allinone.shtml
Something else to add to my list of things to do.

Until I was knee deep in this SS thing, I didn't realize it had been around for a while and that a lot of the info I was finding on the net either didn't apply to my version or didn't include the gotcha's that I've been discovering (pushrods that don't fit guides, 3mm props & 4mm drive shafts, 2 M3 nuts and bolts - but 4 holes to fill, aluminum vs 1 piece frp vs 2 piece frp fuses, servos that don't fit hangers, etc). sheesh.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun with it, and I've actually had it in the air a few times (in a tree and in the ground too!), but I didn't realize how much fussing was involved in getting airborne.

Just 'cause I'm compulsive that way, do you have a deadline for the updates?

Chris
Sep 25, 2007, 07:55 AM
Embargo lifted.
Just recieved my new SS via UPS yesterday and put most of it together minus electronics and elevator/rudder controls, rods and all that stuff. The intructions were a little off but you could get through them. It seemed like they made improvements but didn't change the assembly manual. A couple of the confusing parts I found were....

Most of the plane (if not all) was pre drilled but the instructions said to drill, kind of a plus actually. Like the motor mount and fuselage was pre-drilled but the instructions said to glue it on. Which I opted not to do, I just used the pre-drilled hole with the nut/bolt.

The instructions said you had to cut and assemble the fuselage but it was already cut and predrilled. I would have left it one peice my self but still a great plane.
When attaching the Fiberglass rod to the wings A close up of where the rod actually went would have been helpful. Directly underneath, directly on top or directly in front. It didn't really indicate or may be I didn't notice.

The mounting hardware- it just kind of "floats" and is not secured. Is it supposed to be glued or screwed in or just free floating? Again maybe I missed it but I don't recall seeing it in the instructions or it could be later in the instructions. I opted to leave it free floating until I get the COG set up and the battery I will end up using, but after that I will lock it down some how.

The Vertical stabilizer, is that bolted to the fuselage or maybe some foam safe CA? Pretty sure the instructions said just use the double sided sticky tape, I will end up bolting it with some aluminum bolts from the hardwarestore so I can change it when it gets damaged.

The other thing was that the trailing wheel plastic do-hicky-to hold it on, didn't work it just fell off.

Grammar and spelling were a little funky in spots but if you read it twice it was pretty clear and a little funny too.

The other thing I did as others have done is to get the "red sharpie" out and color all the egdes and the tape which I think gives it a cleaner appearance.

I also used some the special fiberglass tape that many threads recommend and left the stock stuff alone.

That's about it. Took me all of about 3 hours to do that but I still have some electronics/servo stuff to do then I can take off and get her trimmed.
Last edited by kenstogie; Sep 25, 2007 at 03:02 PM.
Sep 25, 2007, 10:19 AM
Rocket Programmer
The parts are easy to move around until you get everything together and get the CG correct. Then, put a small drop of CA on either side of the part to keep it from moving... use only a small drop of it, and you can scratch it off with a fingernail later if you need to move something. I put my rudder/stab on with the double-sticky tape, and it hasn't come off yet, and I fly pretty often. That stuff is super-sticky if you clean the surface with packing tape before applying it. I used to use it to pre-hang drywall, so it's wicked strong stuff. Bolts won't hurt though - if you use a gusset... otherwise they'll just pull through.

I did recently post a vid of hooking up a 3-channel control system, so if you're not sure about that stuff, go ahead and check it, it's in the beginner forum.
Sep 25, 2007, 10:21 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
Vanning, thanks for your write up. I put it up on our site.
Sep 25, 2007, 11:37 AM
Embargo lifted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
The parts are easy to move around until you get everything together and get the CG correct. Then, put a small drop of CA on either side of the part to keep it from moving... use only a small drop of it, and you can scratch it off with a fingernail later if you need to move something. I put my rudder/stab on with the double-sticky tape, and it hasn't come off yet, and I fly pretty often. That stuff is super-sticky if you clean the surface with packing tape before applying it. I used to use it to pre-hang drywall, so it's wicked strong stuff. Bolts won't hurt though - if you use a gusset... otherwise they'll just pull through.

I did recently post a vid of hooking up a 3-channel control system, so if you're not sure about that stuff, go ahead and check it, it's in the beginner forum.
Thanx Jas. I will check it out. Muchos Gracious.
Funny it came with an extra gusset but not enought bolts for the Vert Stab. If the tape holds the I will just leave it be unless i need to mess with it. If it aint broke don't fix it.
Sep 25, 2007, 11:48 AM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie
Thanx Jas. I will check it out. Muchos Gracious.
Funny it came with an extra gusset but not enought bolts for the Vert Stab. If the tape holds the I will just leave it be unless i need to mess with it. If it aint broke don't fix it.
Yeah I did find that funny. The SS that I've seen that used bolts on the rudder have mostly had cracks right next to the gusset. I think maybe some flexibility is helpful in that area. Maybe try epoxy, but you'll never get it off.
Sep 25, 2007, 03:05 PM
Embargo lifted.
The other thing was that the trailing wheel plastic do-hicky-to hold it on, didn't work it just fell off. What do I do with that?
Sep 25, 2007, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie
The other thing was that the trailing wheel plastic do-hicky-to hold it on, didn't work it just fell off. What do I do with that?
I just glued it on. It fell off on me too.

DLC