Part 8
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364276
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Aug 21, 2005 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Fixing Links
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2005, 11:32 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Never Mind. Cheap Battery packs but Todd just pulled the ad and posted a new sale.
Last edited by boomerace; Aug 20, 2005 at 11:38 PM.
Aug 21, 2005, 12:16 AM
OK, here's a newbie question for you guys.

How much thrust do I need on my Slow Stick?

The AUW is about 18.5 oz. I don't know if that's light, normal, or heavy, but that's about what it is. The assembled fuse was 9.0, the wing was 3.7, and my battery pack was 5.8.

Anyway, how much thrust should I be looking for in order to get a nice, and potentially steep climbout? I'm not looking for vertical performance or hovering. I'm just trying to compare outrunners and am trying to get the biggest number in the thrust column - which is probably an oversimplified way to do it.

Also, I'm looking at the Himax outrunners, which don't seem to show thrust data. I'm fishing for that in other threads, but any information there would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jason
Aug 21, 2005, 12:29 AM
Suspended Account
i want to put an Eflight park 400 outrunner on my stick but i can't seem to find a mount. anyone have any ideas or link?
Aug 21, 2005, 12:30 AM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Paul

The AUW is about 18.5 oz. I don't know if that's light, normal, or heavy, but that's about what it is. The assembled fuse was 9.0, the wing was 3.7, and my battery pack was 5.8.

Anyway, how much thrust should I be looking for in order to get a nice, and potentially steep climbout? I'm not looking for vertical performance or hovering. I'm just trying to compare outrunners and am trying to get the biggest number in the thrust column - which is probably an oversimplified way to do it.

Also, I'm looking at the Himax outrunners, which don't seem to show thrust data. I'm fishing for that in other threads, but any information there would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason,
You need an outrunner that will produce about 100 watts for agressive steep climbs at the weight of your SS.
boomer
Aug 21, 2005, 12:51 AM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Jason,
To be more specific a Himax HC 2812-0850 Outrunner on 3S Lipo pack or 9 Kans 1150 Pack swinging a 10 X 4.7 APC SF Prop is about what you are looking for!
boomer
Aug 21, 2005, 12:54 AM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt
i want to put an Eflight park 400 outrunner on my stick but i can't seem to find a mount. anyone have any ideas or link?
Have you tried www.allerc.com? I thought a motor mount was included with the motor!
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Aug 21, 2005 at 01:00 AM.
Aug 21, 2005, 04:30 AM
Wandering IT geek
Hey folks,

I've tried to keep up with this thread but I'm a relative newbie to this forum and 8 threads of 500+ comments is just too much for me to read before posting

I asked in this thread (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405623) what plane might be a good second one and the majority vote seemed to be the SS.

I've built it and it's sitting in the trunk of my car as I type waiting for a calm dawn maiden voyage, weather permitting.

I'll post my flight results here if I can get her in the air in 4 short hours

Chris
Aug 21, 2005, 06:21 AM
Smashes Things
Be sure to top you batteries off right before flying if they are not LiPo's!!!

Typ
Aug 21, 2005, 07:09 AM
Wandering IT geek
Thanks for the tip - I'll connect the Ni-CAD (yes, I know, yuck but it was what the LHS had in stock) to the charger and peak it before I taxi

Chris
Aug 21, 2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks Boomer.

I do have one issue though. My charger (MKII) only charges up to 8-cells and I'm not ready to go to lipo.

So, is there an appropriate outrunner for 8 cells? I was looking at the 2808 series outrunners from Himax. If W = V*A, then it seems I could get at least close to 100W with one of them on a 10" or 11" prop.

What do you think about something like that?

Thanks,
Jason
Aug 21, 2005, 09:03 AM
Gig 'em
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Paul

Thanks,
Jason
I'm running the same as what Boomer suggests.....a 10X4.7 APC SF on the himax 2812-850. I'm getting about 24-25 oz. of thrust on a 3s TP2100 lipo, drawing 12 amps. My tachometer says the prop is spinning 6400 RPM. This is more than enough for your setup!

Doc
Last edited by flyingdoc; Aug 21, 2005 at 09:04 AM. Reason: added info
Aug 21, 2005, 09:38 AM
Angering mobs since 1980.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
Thanks for the tip - I'll connect the Ni-CAD (yes, I know, yuck but it was what the LHS had in stock) to the charger and peak it before I taxi

Chris
Chris, there is nothing wrong with using nicads on your Slow Stick. I fly mine with a 7 cell 600AE pack every trip to the flying field. With the 350D motor and gearbox swinging an 1170 GWS prop I get 2 sometimes 3 7+ minute flights out of this setup. My back usually starts hurting before I run out of battery.

Don't get me wrong, Lipo batteries are amazing. They are also not as forgiving to crash damage so while learning to fly good old nicads fill the bill nicely IMHO.

--
Mike N

Certified Crasher.
Last edited by Twmaster; Aug 21, 2005 at 09:54 AM.
Aug 21, 2005, 10:17 AM
Wandering IT geek
Hmmm... me thinkst I have lots to learn about flying before going to LiPo batteries...

The maiden flight was successful - for all of about 45 seconds on the longest run

The story leading up to the maiden flight is probably more humorous so, as with all stories, it's best to start at the beginning...

I arrive at the park, wind calm, the heat of the day beginning to build. I open the hood over the engine to connect the battery charger to the battery terminals so I can top off the battery and make a quick mental note to get a do it yourself cigarette lighter adapter - the battery charger won't quite reach the ground when connected and I'd rather leave the one battery pack I have on the plane...

The charger finishes it's work and I start to put the wing on the plane when sprinklers pop up from the ground on ALL of the baseball diamonds in the park to water... dirt?

The county grounds crew is present and one of them is within eyesight so I ask him how long the sprinklers run. He tells me "3 minutes but there's an ordinance against flying those things in the parks in this county". Well... We kind of discuss this and sort of agree that I won't come back and he won't stop me this time but if a Ranger shows up I'm on my own and we didn't have this conversation.

I'd like to mention that the two county grounds keepers and myself are the only people within eyesight of any of the baseball diamonds. Had the park been crowded I would have put the plane back into the car and gone elsewhere.

So, the sprinklers stop, I set the plane on the diamond, pointing into the wind, throttle up and...

...barely get off the ground after a 20' taxi. I throttle down in time to avoid planting the plane in the chainlink fence on the parking lot side of the diamond (the light breeze was coming from that side).

I inspect the plane and notice that the retention device which holds the servo horn onto the elevator is missing. Undaunted, I go to the trunk of the car where I know there are spares and put another one on.

Attempt #2. I rethink my runway departure and orient the plane so that it's pointing out into the field. I figure this way if I have to abort again I'll run off into the grass rather than put the plane through the front winshield of my car (my luck, that would have happened). I throttle up again, pull back on the elevator... Whoops! WAY too much lift! Straigh up into the air, stall, nosedive, crash.

Try #3: same taxi orientation... Throttle up, easy on the right stick... nudge her into the air... success! I've got about 10 ft of altitude... but... I'm turning slowly left... making a really big circle... Rudder doesn't seem to be working... Pointing towards the field house in the center of the diamonds... This isn't good... cut throttle and watch the SS barely clear the lower side of the backstop fence over the dugout, splang off of a metal park bench in the center of the diamonds and.. yes, you guessed it, crash. The other county grounds keeper was watching in amusement.

Try #4. Aha! All this crashing has moved stuff around! I move stuff back, do a hasty CG check (I'll do permanent marks on CG with a marker later today), check to make sure that the left stick moves the rudder (it does), orient the plane out towards the grass, throttle up... climbing... climbing... oops! too much elevator and still not turning... Stall... pulse throttle and manage to almost not crash... This time the landing was more of a bounce, bounce, crash in the grass.

Try #5 Recenter everything again, hasty CG check, curse at rudder, reseat elevator retention device, taxi out, up gently... still not turning... WAIT! DOH! LEFT STICK, NOT THE RIGHT ONE! Still climbing, easy right rudder... and watch as plane banks hard to the right, loses lift on right wing, decends and dumb thumb myself into another crash. This time I break the prop.

So. *smile* I am having fun but I think I'm going to ask the LHS where their flight area is again when I go to pick up about four more props and a prop saver. It's a miracle that I didn't snap the prop on flights 1-4. Mebbe someone out at their runway will take pity on a newbie like me and offer a few pointers.

Oh, and, upon taking the plane out of the trunk when I came home I noticed that the LHS sold me a SS with a 400 motor... Another DOH! I made the CG marks on the underside of the wing for a 350 because I had assumed it was a 350!

Anyway, I'll get the kinks out and fly again. I think I'll take the Hobbyzone Commander with me from now on just incase I break all of my props or something else... At least this way I'll be able to fly something

Quick question - how does one keep the servo horn thingies from pulling their retention clip off? Glue? Bolts? Doublesided sticky tape? I'm down to my last spare now and don't want to lose anymore!

Chris
Aug 21, 2005, 10:30 AM
Angering mobs since 1980.
Hehe, yea that's a normal outing for a newbie!! BTDT!!!

Can I offer a suggestion? Hand launch until you get a better feel for the plane. Also, if at all possible get an experienced pilot to trim fly it for you. Otherwise it sounds like you are on the right path to a truly nasty addiction known as electric flight.

Also, I strongly suggest you glue the control horn keeper onto the horn and surface. I lost a keeper yesterday resulting in a less than satisfactory flight with my Slow Stick. Use the GWS glue that came with your SS. It works fine. Just allow it to dry overnight.

--
Mike N

The learning curve always swings an arc through your wallet.
Last edited by Twmaster; Aug 21, 2005 at 10:43 AM.

Quick Reply