Aug 18, 2005, 05:58 AM
HeliAP'er!
Thread OP
Alert

My imminent, but not permanent, departure from the hobby

Hi all!

Just to say that my time of hyper-activity in R/C aeromodelling will shortly be reduced to a light participation (if not a total departure) when I go off to University to read Electronic and Electrical Engineering (3 year BEng course at the University of Surrey). What with all the hubbub of University life I'm not sure whether modelling would really get a look in ... I might be wrong but I somehow doubt it ...

I first touched a radio-controlled model aircraft when I bought my SAS Wildthing EPP slope soarer back in September 1998 (when I was 11 going on 12). Since then I've flown electric paragliders, electric gliders, electric aerobatic gliders, various little scratch-built 'flat-plate' type planes, a Reno Racer, two electric helicopters, a scratch-built Tiny, a scratch-built Cessna (although that is still yet to fly ), a scratch-built Tail Dancer glider (now deceased through scavenging of parts), a scratch-built aerial photography platform (although that's still only half-built! ), and I'm sure there're many others which I've missed out!

This hobby is such a great way to spend ones time - your skills as a builder are developed, your skills as a pilot are developed and you get to chat to all sorts of cool people on messageboards like this one! However, I have a feeling that this hobby has somewhat prevented me from mingling with my own peer group as much as I would have liked (perhaps), but hey, I've had a great time nonetheless.

I dread to think how much I've spent on this hobby (or rather, how much of my parent's money I've spent on this hobby - through pocket money!), but it's all been worth it.

I'll be keeping all my R/C gear until I want to properly get back into the hobby.

But until then, I bid you farewell - all you guys are so great, and it's been a pleasure chatting with you over the past few years.

Don't worry .... you haven't seen the last of me yet! You never know ... I might get partially back into the hobby in my summer holiday next year but I'll be in full-time employment for most of that, working for the company that's sponsoring me through University .... but ya never know!

A bientôt, or until next time!

David Hogg, 18
Surrey, UK

"So long and thanks for all the fish ..."

PS. I've also met a really sweet girl who I'm really getting along with ... so that might also have something to do with this too ...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2005, 06:05 AM
Hey,
Im 14, and just heard that my 18yr old brother got the grades that he needed to go to Cambrige, so he'll be there to study Engineering.
Anyway, I hope to get him into RC now, as he'll have almost half the year off, so hes got a lot of spare time!

Im sure youll be back, this hobbies addictive!
Why dont you get a small plane togther that you can take to uni, to fly in any patches of grass, large carparks, halls e.t.c.?

Duane.
Aug 18, 2005, 06:07 AM
Excellent university, excellent course and excellent girlfriend.

Congratulations all round.

Just keep your hand in with a parkflyer round the campus. Nothing too time consuming. Beats frisbee and drinking in the union anyway.

Doesn't beat Girls, but you can't be doing that ALL the time.

OTOH a floatplane off the Wey might be amusing...

..and Newlands corner is a place I once flew a jetex powered thing: Might be eniogh of a slope there for some lift...
Aug 18, 2005, 06:07 AM
HeliAP'er!
Thread OP
Do pass my congratulations on to your brother!! My brother went to Cambridge and I think getting in was almost as hard as the course! He did Computer Science by the way ...

Yeah ... I'm thinking of taking a few of my planes with me (namely the Tiny and ooh yes, a mini IFO which I forgot to mention above) .... I won't be taking them immediately though - I need to see whether it'd be appropriate first.
Aug 18, 2005, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimole
Hey,
Im 14, and just heard that my 18yr old brother got the grades that he needed to go to Cambrige, so he'll be there to study Engineering.
The good news is that the course is not too hard... so plenty of time for 'other stuff'
Quote:

Anyway, I hope to get him into RC now, as he'll have almost half the year off, so hes got a lot of spare time!

Im sure youll be back, this hobbies addictive!
Why dont you get a small plane togther that you can take to uni, to fly in any patches of grass, large carparks, halls e.t.c.?

Duane.
Definitely!
Aug 18, 2005, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster
Do pass my congratulations on to your brother!! My brother went to Cambridge and I think getting in was almost as hard as the course! He did Computer Science by the way ...

Yeah ... I'm thinking of taking a few of my planes with me (namely the Tiny and ooh yes, a mini IFO which I forgot to mention above) .... I won't be taking them immediately though - I need to see whether it'd be appropriate first.
Of course it will.

Bags of space to fly around there - start a club!

Not sure but I THINK there is a guildford MAC that flkies somewhere north of town towards woking...
Aug 18, 2005, 06:09 AM
HeliAP'er!
Thread OP
vintage - Hehe! Thanks! I'm not sure I'm at b/f g/f status yet - we only met 3 weeks ago .... just taking things slowly.

Yah, as mentioned above, I might take a few small planes with me ...

Hmm, what am I saying - flybike has managed to make all sorts of planes (including a 25ft and a 50ft foam plane) and he's still at Uni!

I'll have to see how things go ....

Edit: I have looked into joining the Elmbridge MAC but the waiting list has been full since February!
Aug 18, 2005, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Do pass my congratulations on to your brother!!
Will do!

Does anyone know if there are any decent clubs around Cambrigde Uni, anyone there at the moment? (Well, not right now, but studies there) Any decent parks or whatever to fly in?

Keep it up Hogster, youll be back, dont worry...

Duane
Aug 18, 2005, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimole
Will do!

Does anyone know if there are any decent clubs around Cambrigde Uni, anyone there at the moment? (Well, not right now, but studies there) Any decent parks or whatever to fly in?

Keep it up Hogster, youll be back, dont worry...

Duane
Well I did study thgere years ago...but there are two very good clubs right in Cambridge - The cambridge main club that flies out of Waterbach or Oakington barracks forget which..- really friendly big club - and the Impington one that does a lot of indoor stuff.

Both on BMFA sites I think.

http://cmac.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
Thats the cambridge club.

Impington Village College MAC (Cambs) (http://fly.to/ivcmac)
Meet every Friday evening at Impington Village College, 2K north of Cambridge.In winter, indoor models in the hall, and in summer, F/F R/C and C/L on the sports field.Mail or see web site for more details.

Sadly web site is bust right now.

There are more in the area as well, but transport in and around cambridge is difficult as most colleges won't let you have a car.

The only model shop is the RipMax outlet in Trumpington..not great but OK - mainly RipOff ARTF stuff and cars cars cars

Better LHS at Ipswich, (galaxy) and peterborough..
Aug 18, 2005, 07:00 AM
Flap chap
Quote:

PS. I've also met a really sweet girl who I'm really getting along with ... so that might also have something to do with this too ...

Tut, not another taken out of our hobby by gals. I'm 15 nearly 16, i won't let them take me i tell ya!!

I hope you get back into the hobby someday,
And keep a parkflyer at hand, just incase.

James,
Aug 18, 2005, 07:07 AM
HeliAP'er!
Thread OP
Hehe, I thought exactly the same at your age! In fact when I was in my prime just a few months back (up 'til 4 and 5 in the morning working on the latest plane) I couldn't quite imagine life without R/C!

Ahh well, times change eh. Enjoy your youth mate!
Aug 18, 2005, 07:18 AM
Flap chap
Quote:
Hehe, I thought exactly the same at your age! In fact when I was in my prime just a few months back (up 'til 4 and 5 in the morning working on the latest plane) I couldn't quite imagine life without R/C!

Ahh well, times change eh. Enjoy your youth mate!

So shall i still spend money on this hobby (parents money oops) or just quit early ??
I can't quite see how you can't fit any flying in. Perhaps there will be very little time with work and all, perhaps you will have to travel away from your models, or maybe its just trying not to look boyish to your gal let alone spend time with 'er (perhaps its all of these, then i see your point). But the opportunity to have some free time alone must occur (i'd go mad, i swear doing all the above and no time to myself). Surly you can fit a bit o' flying in now and again?
You'll see, you won't be able to live without RC for too long

James,
Aug 18, 2005, 12:13 PM
It's been a while.
All I can say, is you better not leave that AP platform unfinished.
Then again, leave it unfinished and send it to me.
As for girls, they wont get me either.
Aug 18, 2005, 12:18 PM
Flap chap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel G

As for girls, they wont get me either.

Thats the spirit!
Aug 18, 2005, 01:15 PM
Hogster, never be without a flyable airplane. I was for 7 years (out of 67) and I remember that time with shudders and gassiness. Electrics make it so easy to keep one around.

best of luck

howell

Quick Reply