Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Aug 16, 2005, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by Raceit

Onboard Video - SS turning into a Lawn Dart

This was a textbook lawn dart Slow Stick. I didn't have a still camera to take a picture once it was planted into the soft ground, but it was a good 4 inches down and sticking straight up.

It was a windy day but not too bad. It was tossing the plane around a bit and then a gust of wind caught it which flipped it over. No big deal, but when I tried to get it level I lost the elevator. The plastic clip that holds on to the arm on the bottom of the elevator popped off and then I couldn't do anything from there except wait for it to hit the ground.

The camera survied without a scratch. The fuse is bent up in so many places I can't even count. It even has a wooden dowel inside it! It looks like a crumple-zone on a car.

https://static.rcgroups.net/gallery/...8Lawn_Dart.wmv

or

https://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/sho...cat=500&page=1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2005, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by aviatordave
I AP'd myself again......
Now that was cool!
Old Aug 16, 2005, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Ouch.

Adam
Old Aug 16, 2005, 05:00 PM
Find More Posts by dklassen
3D Printing Junkie
Ouch! That's the nice thing about an SS, no huge $$ loss. At least the camera made it, that's the important part.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by copes
MMMwwaaaaa ha haa ha!!!! that is so good and funny and such a great vid, and sympathies if there was any major damage done.....it looked as if the plane intentionally tried to miss the tarmac! aaah the soul of it all....
Old Aug 16, 2005, 05:05 PM
The funny thing is the camera is probably the cheapest thing on the plane! It was only 30 bucks. My lipo pack got a dent in it though. It seems fine now, but I'll have to post a picture of that sometime to see what everyone thinks of it.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 05:08 PM
I realize how lucky it was for it to hit the ground. I would have lost everything I'm sure if it did that into the asphalt.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by wb6flyer
Ouch! Sounded like you were close to full throttle on the impact... or was that just the fast moving air?

Peter.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 05:20 PM
I cut the throttle way up at the top. The prop was just wind milling.

I wish the camera would have captured the sound better. What I head almost sounded like a small 5 pound ball hitting the soft ground.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
I thought I heard the sound of the "pop" when the elevator clip gave way. Right at the bottom of the loop.....
Old Aug 16, 2005, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by lvspark
hehehhehhe Perfect angle hehhehheh
Old Aug 16, 2005, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by quailbird
Had a good picture of the grass too! That's amazing!
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by JettPilot
I love to see the crash videos The sound of the elevator breaking just added that little touch to make it really awesome !!!
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 17, 2005, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by VBSuperMaxx
absolutely classic.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by quailbird
Now we've got a new name for the Slow Stick: SSLD (Slow Stick Lawn Dart) I've had a couple of those myself only mine turned into a horse shoe.