This thread is privately moderated by siriusflier, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 14, 2022, 08:40 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Discussion

XFly Twin Nova 1400mm Wingspan - PNP

XFly Twin Nova 1400mm Wingspan - PNP

I was not looking for another plane, but someone posted something about the XFly Twin Nova 1400mm Wingspan and I got to looking at it and liked what I saw. Not much out there in the way of reviews or info, but what I saw I really liked. It is fairly new, might have just been introduced around October 2021. It was also not in stock anywhere. While I was waiting on it, Hobbyking had an after Christmas sale for 25% off which got me to looking at the Avios Bush Mule, a similar plane that could be bought for about $60 less. I had almost decided to buy the Bush Mule when the Twin Nova came into stock at Bitgo Hobby. Differences between the two are: Bush Mule runs on 4S lipos, Twin Nova on 3S. I have a lot of 3S, but hardly any 4S. Landing gear looks better on Twin Nova, I saw complaints about the nose gear on the Bush Mule. Twin Nova is a little smaller at 1400mm, about my preferred limit on size. Bush Mule has decal or painted windows, Twin Nova has clear plastic windows. The Twin Nova also has socket head screws, Bush Mule has phillips head. Another thing I like about the Twin Nova is that it has a separate servo for the nose gear. So I ordered the Twin Nova as soon as I saw that it was in stock at Bitgo. About seven hours after I ordered, they sent me a notification that it was in stock.
Name: XflyNova-01_1024x1024@2x.png
Views: 12
Size: 975.3 KB
Description:

I ordered the Twin Nova Friday, 1/07/2022 at around 7pm. It did not ship until Monday, 1/10/2022. It is being delivered by Fedex and originated in California. First Fedex estimated delivery on Thursday, 1/13/2022, then they changed the date to 1/14/2022. I received it on 1/14/2022 at 2:40pm. Well packaged and no apparent damage from shipping.

First impressions are very good. Red paint almost completely hides the foam pattern. It has a plastic nose cone. There is a hatch on the bottom behind the wings for access to wires. There are plastic or carbon fiber strut almost the entire length of the wings and the horizontal stabilizer. Screws are 3mm with hex socket heads and are all the same length except the horizontal stab screw that is longer. There are imbedded brass nuts for all screws. It has a large upper fuselage battery hatch. Actual wingspan is about 55 3/8 inches.There is an instrument panel decal already in place. There is a plywood base plate inside where the battery mounts. Nose gear seems robust and has a good amount of spring travel, Nose gear and servo are not accessable from the topside, but one might be able to unscrew the mounting plate and pull it out through the bottom. The clevis are mounted to brass ball horns on the control surfaces. There is a platic rail under the vertical stabilizer with a corresponding slot on the top of the horizontal stabilizer for aligning and securing the horizontal stabilizer to the fuselage. There are also prewired LEDs on both wingtips, and landing LEDs on the front of the left wing. There are not decals on the plane identifying the company like Eflite puts all over their planes. Just N140XF(nova 140cm XFly) on both sides of the fuselage and one wing, and what might be the XFly logo on the vertical stabilizer. I like that.

A few negatives noticed. Wheels are all very hard foam, no give at all. It has 2 inch(51 x 19mm) main wheels and about a 1.5inch(36.5 x 15mm) nose wheel. It comes with an EC3 plug even though Bitgo says you need a battery with an XT60 plug. Un reinforced foam hinges. The prop nut/combo spinner mount appears to be hard plastic. Prop shaft is 4mm and 4mm threaded. The propellers are stiff, but not impressive. There are covers for the escs, but the escs are not mounted well enough to keep from interfering with those covers.

I have not been as impressed, maybe ever, with a PNP kit I have received. If it flies as well as it's first impressions, it will be a very good plane. I had not heard of XFly Models before around the first of December, 2021. The Twin Nova demonstrates a very good effort to produce a quality product. Here are photos I took of the parts and plane:
Name: ztnova.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 89.8 KB
Description: Name: ztnhatch.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 74.8 KB
Description: Name: ztnwngmnt.jpg
Size: 64.5 KB
Description: Name: ztndash.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 55.8 KB
Description: Name: ztnnswhl.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 93.4 KB
Description: Name: ztnnswhl2.jpg
Size: 84.6 KB
Description: Name: ztnrddr.jpg
Size: 55.9 KB
Description: Name: ztnmngr.jpg
Size: 79.6 KB
Description: Name: ztnbttmhtch.jpg
Size: 87.2 KB
Description: Name: ztnscrews.jpg
Views: 8
Size: 59.5 KB
Description: Name: ztnprpnut.jpg
Size: 48.7 KB
Description: Name: ztnmckup.jpg
Size: 80.7 KB
Description: Name: ztnmckup2.jpg
Size: 96.2 KB
Description: Name: ztnesc.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 58.4 KB
Description: Name: ztnesc2.jpg
Size: 57.9 KB
Description:

1/15/2022 I posted that there were not XFly decals on the plane, but this morning I noticed on the wing tip that there is a small XFly decal.
Name: ztndecal.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 78.1 KB
Description:

Xfly Twin Nova 1400 Description

The Vulcanair Aircraft P68C Series is a six seater, twin engine, high-wing, fixed landing gear aircraft that is used for light transport and training. It is a sensible alternative to many single engine and light twin aircraft in today's General Aviation market. Powered by twin engines, P68C is a docile and stable aircraft in the whole flight envelope with superior flight qualities which can only be appreciated once the aircraft is flown.

The XFly new 1400mm Twin Nova is a scale replica of the Vulcanair Aircraft P68C that makes the versatile twin-powered model for intermediate to experienced RC pilots. The combination of twin 2212-KV1400 motors, twin 20A ESCs, counter-rotating props and a 3S LiPo battery brings RC pilots the optimum setup for power and duration, which allows the plane to roll, loop and fly inverted easily.

The Twin Nova is equipped with fixed tricycle landing gear with steerable CNC metal nose gear for easy ground handling and outfitted with functional features that includes factory -preinstalled LED landing and navigation lights, plus operational flaps. Large battery compartment fits 3S 2200-5000mAh batteries which will provide a wide range in performance and flight times. Clear glass-like wind shield makes it possible to use FPV in the canopy for better visual experience. Moreover, the vigorous red color scheme adds high visibility to its look in the sky!

Specifications:

Material: EPO foam with ABS engineering plastics
Wing Span: 1400mm(55in)
Flying Weight: 1550g (with 2200mAh battery)
Wing Loading: 64.6 g/dm2
Fuselage Length: 1066mm(42in)
Center of Gravity: See Manual
Motor: 2200 1400 KV x2
ESC: 20A ESC x2
Propeller: 8x5 2pcs
Servo: 7x 9g digital servos
Elevator: Yes
Rudder: Yes
Ailerons: Yes
Flaps: Yes
Landing Gear: Fixed

There is one review on RCGroups that contains several videos of unboxing and flying the Twin Nova here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...in-Nova-1400mm . There has been nothing new posted on that thread since December 3, 2021.
Last edited by siriusflier; Yesterday at 10:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2022, 08:41 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Modifications:

1/15/2022
So far all I have done with the plane is started coating it with polyacrylic, put some hinge tape on the hinges, and put some vinyl on the leading edges of the wings. I do these things with all of my planes. The red of the vinyl is not an exact match to the plane's paint, but some of the plastic that came with the plane doesn't exactly match the paint either. When I put the vinyl on the left wing, I forgot about the LED landing lights, and covered them. Just held it up to a strong light, traced the LED lens with a sharpie, then cut the vinyl off with an exacto blade.
Name: ztnwings.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 78.8 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; Jan 15, 2022 at 07:28 PM.
Jan 14, 2022, 11:10 PM
That really looks good. Particularly interested in the shock absorbing front gear. Do the mains absorb some shock too? (do they flex). Of course you know I'm already studying it for rough field operation and modding it. It's a disease and I can't help it. That looks really cool. I'm envious.
Jan 15, 2022, 08:02 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
that nose gear compresses well and seems well made. The aluminum main gear will flex a little. I have already sourced some Dave Brown Lite Flite shock absorbing tires, stock tires are hard as a rock.
Jan 15, 2022, 10:24 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
One thing that I didn't mention in the first post, even though there is a photo of it, is that there is a large hatch in the bottom of the fuselage behind the cabin for access to internals. It is also not mentioned in the manual. Photos:
Name: ztnbttmhatch.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 62.4 KB
Description: Name: ztnbttmhtch.jpg
Size: 87.2 KB
Description:
Jan 16, 2022, 08:32 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Today was such a beautiful, almost windless afternoon that I went outside and got in some flying with a few of my other planes. Finally after sundown, I sat down and brushed on polyacrylic coating on the surfaces of the plane. Got a lot of it done, but after probably an hour, I got tired of it and stopped. I actually really dislike painting, but I like having a bit of protection on my planes.

So no other progress on the assembly.
Yesterday, 11:42 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I changed out the EC3 battery plug for an XT60 this morning. Might be worth mentioning again that I drill a small hole on the plastic case of the XT60 male battery plug. This keeps the plugs from air locking and makes it easier to disconnect them.

I had notice that the velcro battery strap supplied has a plastic loop to pull the strap through. This morning I found that the velcro the battery rests on is very good velcro - strong. Problem is the felt is attached to the floor and I have the felt on my batteries, so I will have to switch to hooks on the floor. I also noticed the slots on the sides so that the battery stap can be adjusted to where you want it on the battery. Another nice, thoughtful touch. You can see in my photo that there is a lot of room in the battery bay for bigger batteries.
Name: ztnbatstrap.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 66.3 KB
Description: Name: ztnbatbay.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 80.1 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; Yesterday at 11:54 AM.
Yesterday, 08:38 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I finished applying the polyacrylic coating just a while ago. I had weighed the parts before and weighed them after applying polyacrylic, hinge tape, and vinyl on the leading edges of the wings.

Part__________grams before______grams after
fuselage________536.0______________540.0
left wing________337.5______________343.1
right wing_______337.1______________344.5
hor. stab_________44.1________________46.0
totals__________1254.7_____________1273.6
A gain of 18.9 grams. Those weights do not include main landing gear and other hardware.
Since the battery range is from 2200 to 5000mah, I don't think the weight gain will make a lot of difference.

I also took one of the 2 inch main wheels off and weighed it at 6.89 grams. I have some 2 1/4 inch Dave Brown Lite Flite wheels I could fit to the axles, but they weigh about 17 grams a piece, a little too heavy. I like the DB Lite Flite wheels because they add some shock absorption, the stock wheels are as hard as wood. I didn't have a good soft foam wheel for the front gear, so I ordered a Lite Flite wheel and also ordered some 2 inch Lite Flite wheels. The 2" wheels I ordered are thinner, only weigh about 7.65 grams, and will allow me to use collars on the axles instead of the c-clips that come on the axles for mounting the stock wheels. I may have to add a brass tube. The stock axles are 3mm, and the Dave Brown Lite Flite wheels come with 3.2mm axle holes. The 2 1/4 inch DBs I have are 4mm ID. So I could be adding an extra 5 to 10 grams with the wheel changes.

I may not get the new wheels before Friday, waiting on them to complete assembly of the plane. I can get everything else ready to go before then. The wind is supposed to be kinda high for the next few days anyway, and a few days will be colder than I like for flying.

Quick Reply