What the Heck Wednesday - Twin Engine Mishap

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have an oldie, but a goodie submitted by rcbobp. It was filmed way back in 2007 and shows a twin engine Douglas A26 lining up for a maiden flight.

Splash

Oh My God!!! Wipeout!!!

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have an oldie, but a goodie submitted by rcbobp. It was filmed way back in 2007 and shows a twin engine Douglas A26 lining up for a maiden flight. The engines are purring nicely and it rolls down the runway just fine. The take off is where disaster strikes as the plane rolls left 90 degrees and hits the ground wingtip first and smashes it up into many pieces. The old adage rings true here, take offs are optional, but landings are mandatory. This one ended in shambles, but my favorite part is the kid at the end of the video with his commentary. This surely made his day!

So break it down for me in the comments below. What went wrong here and what could have been done to prevent it?

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Jan 12, 2022, 02:54 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
It was pulling left well before it got in the air. Most obvious conclusion is the left engine wasn't making nearly as much power as the right.
Jan 12, 2022, 03:15 PM
Retired USAF
Counter rotating?….doesn’t look like it. Sure looked like it torqued left. With the throttle punch, it immediately started left.
Last edited by Cobra1365; Jan 13, 2022 at 06:49 AM.
Jan 12, 2022, 03:26 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Should have gone electric.
Jan 12, 2022, 03:58 PM
Intermediate Multi
We've got a fellow in town who throws his B-25 with twin Saitos around like an EPP parkflier.
Jan 12, 2022, 04:32 PM
Also, make sure ailerons are going in the correct direction. Made that mistake
Jan 12, 2022, 04:51 PM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
Combination of torque and stall. It stalled first but not countering torque was a factor as well.
Jan 12, 2022, 05:02 PM
Torque + Low Lift Off speed = Stall
Jan 12, 2022, 07:20 PM
Cajun-American
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunkman
Yup.
Jan 12, 2022, 08:05 PM
Uh.... To much throttle to fast, plane wasn't ready to fly, should have never pulled back
Torque, premature light and stalled.
Jan 12, 2022, 09:29 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Pretty obvious.. It was a wipeout!
Jan 12, 2022, 10:59 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunkman
Quote:
Originally Posted by putput
Uh.... To much throttle to fast, plane wasn't ready to fly, should have never pulled back
Torque, premature light and stalled.
Agreed!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Jan 13, 2022, 07:05 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Should have gone electric.
LOL,, yeah because guys never crash electrics due to lack of flying skills

Thanks for the giggle man
Jan 13, 2022, 09:15 AM
dare to be dull
Way too early off the ground for a first flight. Possible rear CG causing early rotation. Possibly too much up-trim on the elevator. Possible heavy hand from the pilot pulling back. Probably some combination of the above.
Jan 13, 2022, 11:49 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Gun it, Yank it , Stall it , Break it
An all to common expensive lesson for the new to warbirds or other higher wingloaded scale airframes,,

That rudder is there for a reason,, learn to use it

Quick Reply