This thread is privately moderated by Calypso6858, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 11, 2022, 08:21 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Obscure Airplane Highlight of the Day : Garland-Lincoln LF-1

Garland-Lincoln LF-1: While WWI replicas are their own genre of airplanes these days with kits available for all sorts of them, the Garland-Lincoln started the trend long ago.

The Garland-Lincoln Nieuport replica is local to me and when I was browsing through some photos of it the other day I came across a familiar name in one of the captions, Claude Flagg. Considering I own one of Flagg’s other airplanes this caught my interest and I had to do some more research. Turns out that the name LF-1 stands for Lincoln Flagg - 1. Garland Lincoln provided airplanes for Hollywood in the 1930s and he needed some Nieuports apparently. He called on experienced designer Claude Flagg to take care of that for him.

Documentation says there were 3 LF-1s built, however I can only find any record or photos of 1 of them, N12237. The airplane was designed and built by Flagg to replicate the Nieuport 28 while offering better performance and aerobatics for the movie screens. It was initially powered by a J-4 Wright when it was completed in 1932 but spent most of its career with a 220hp Continental on it.

The LF-1 wasn’t a footnote in history either, it made quite a career for itself in its long and colorful life. It spent time as an airshow performer and racer in the hands of Kip Monè. It flew for Garland Lincoln in the movies Hell in the Heavens, Dawn Patrol and Men with Wings. It was owned by Frank Tallman when he and Paul Mantz created Tallmantz. It then performed in Get Smart, The Twilight Zone and My Three Sons. It was slated for an appearance in the dog fight scene at the end of the Great Waldo Pepper but unfortunately Frank Tallman hit a set of power lines with it on set and crashed the airplane. It was even used to promote the comic strip “Peanuts” when it was painted bright yellow with “Snoopy” down the side and performed alongside a Fokker Triplane in several performances for Charles Schultz.

The airplane now belongs to Kip Monè’s son Brent in Santa Rosa and has been restored nearly to completion.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2022, 04:40 PM
As ever, good article! Thank you.

My dad often spoke about the Garland -Lincoln "Nieuport". I remember its original broadcast Twilight Zone participation.

Kip Mone? IIRC, that name appeared under the cockpit sides of my favorite Goodyear racer, "Estrellita". Any connection?
Jan 17, 2022, 05:36 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Ha. You should do a contest to see who can correctly identify the most of the aircraft in the background of these pictures.
Jan 17, 2022, 09:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
As ever, good article! Thank you.

My dad often spoke about the Garland -Lincoln "Nieuport". I remember its original broadcast Twilight Zone participation.

Kip Mone? IIRC, that name appeared under the cockpit sides of my favorite Goodyear racer, "Estrellita". Any connection?
You are correct. lol me and the same. He raced as well as performing in air shows and Estrellita was one of the racers he flew. I don’t know the entire history but I know he flew it.

Quick Reply