Jan 11, 2022, 01:20 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Habu 102 from Horizon Hobby

Gentlemen,

Wouldn't this be a great seller:

New fiberglass ducted fan Habu with complete ducting, sized for 90 or even better 105mm fan, comes complete with retracts, gear doors, nice struts, servo covers. Enough internal room to easily accommodate 12S and still have wing loading similar to a Habu32. Top speed with 8S recommended eflite equipment exceeds 150mph.

I just think this would sell so well as it would have no peer in the market. There's very few ducted fan fiberglass jets on the market today. The ones available are not built for top speed.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2022, 05:53 AM
2024 EDF Jet Jam, June 6-8
Sadly, It will never happen.
Jan 11, 2022, 09:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini
Sadly, It will never happen.
Why do you think? This would sort of be like a smaller BVM Electra but with some included equipment...the kind that come with fms or freewing foamies.
Jan 11, 2022, 09:47 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
I agree with Bob, it would be awesome but I doubt they will do it.

Shame really
Jan 11, 2022, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey
I agree with Bob, it would be awesome but I doubt they will do it.

Shame really
It is a crying shame. I don't understand why when they responded it as Habu32X that they did not add gear doors or nice landing gear struts. We get these with foam jets. The investment was already there.

There is so much potential with the Habu32 that could be explored with something made to go really fast.
Jan 11, 2022, 12:41 PM
world's slowest builder
This would be a great jet! With proper ducting, 90mm would be plenty, but the option to go 100mm would be nice as both E-jets Jetfan and Wemo make nice 100MM fans.. Could be set up on anything from 6 to 12S. Make it right between the size of the Habu 32 and the Electra. I would vote for a top mounted Horz stab like the original Habu. Light lay-up fuse and built up wings and stabs would be just fine.
Jan 11, 2022, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Jon
This would be a great jet! With proper ducting, 90mm would be plenty, but the option to go 100mm would be nice as both E-jets Jetfan and Wemo make nice 100MM fans.. Could be set up on anything from 6 to 12S. Make it right between the size of the Habu 32 and the Electra. I would vote for a top mounted Horz stab like the original Habu. Light lay-up fuse and built up wings and stabs would be just fine.
Could be far faster than a habu32 with more thrust and drag reduction from factory. Horizon was proud of the Habu32, it was the cover of the catalog
Jan 11, 2022, 03:24 PM
2024 EDF Jet Jam, June 6-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw
Why do you think? This would sort of be like a smaller BVM Electra but with some included equipment...the kind that come with fms or freewing foamies.
Mainly because getting something like this made is becoming more difficult every year with the Chinese Factories. Foam is all done on the front end and takes far less skill to assemble and paint.

Ready to fly models are what people want. Assemble, add Rx and Battery go fly, it's as simple as that.

Foam sells in greater numbers and costs much less to make.

Trust me I would be ecstatic if they made this model.

BTW you title should probably have "What if" as part of the title. "New" is misleading.
Jan 11, 2022, 05:03 PM
world's slowest builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw
Could be far faster than a habu32 with more thrust and drag reduction from factory. Horizon was proud of the Habu32, it was the cover of the catalog
Faster in stock form? If they offer an 8S version stock, certainly it would be faster than a 6S stock Habu 32 (although people flew 32s on 7s on the stock fan/motor and they were quick!) at least half the people buying will not care about the stock setup and will be buying it for an upgraded aftermarket EDF. As far as being faster than the Habu 32 overall...it's likely be possible, but not by much. I believe the record for the Habu 32 was 204 averaged for upwind/downwind.

If it were light and had ample battery shifting ability (battery tray between the intakes) and an long fan access hatch, a modeler could quickly switch between a hot 6 or 12S setup as long as they have an HV SC. Super lightweight 6S for small fields and slower freestyle aerobatics (and single battery practicality) and a 12S setup for speed runs. could use the same 6S 5000-6200 packs, and just add a second pack for 12S.
Jan 12, 2022, 08:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Jon
Faster in stock form? If they offer an 8S version stock, certainly it would be faster than a 6S stock Habu 32 (although people flew 32s on 7s on the stock fan/motor and they were quick!) at least half the people buying will not care about the stock setup and will be buying it for an upgraded aftermarket EDF. As far as being faster than the Habu 32 overall...it's likely be possible, but not by much. I believe the record for the Habu 32 was 204 averaged for upwind/downwind.

If it were light and had ample battery shifting ability (battery tray between the intakes) and an long fan access hatch, a modeler could quickly switch between a hot 6 or 12S setup as long as they have an HV SC. Super lightweight 6S for small fields and slower freestyle aerobatics (and single battery practicality) and a 12S setup for speed runs. could use the same 6S 5000-6200 packs, and just add a second pack for 12S.
Yes, faster in stock form than the Habu32 because of provided landing gear doors, servo covers, and other Aerodynamic bits to really make it faster. I have a 32 that is 8S and I think it's at the weight limit with 5000 packs. A larger Habu could take that 8S and be faster than mine out of the box via Aerodynamic improvements.
Jan 12, 2022, 09:14 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Sounds like you want a Taft Cobra.
Jan 12, 2022, 10:28 AM
world's slowest builder
I was thinking the same. Composite the size of a Taft cobra…but no foam. I would keep the looks more like the Habu…but maybe tweaked slightly. The Habu at least had an original style vibe going. With the full bubble canopy, wide nose and Vert profile…..particularly the original foam Habu style with a shoulder mounted horz stab ( which was ahead of it’s time as all the new turbine sport jet designs have adopted the shoulder stab)

A larger size would also allow Micro servos mounter directly in the stabs. High quality Micros like Hitec D-89s could handle the job no problem…or use the quality thin flat mount micro servos. No more long pushrods.
Jan 12, 2022, 05:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lapointe
Sounds like you want a Taft Cobra.
It's foam and pretty heavy. I have one! Pretty small battery area if I recall
Jan 12, 2022, 08:22 PM
world's slowest builder
That is one of the issues with foam, the thick fuselage robs battery space. The design need a wide nose like the Habu, and space between the intakes for a second pack. It should not be designed to copy a Bob Violet jet (as the cobra did) as those are designed to work with saddle packs. It needs a wider nose and the fan further back to counter weigh the batteries and to make room or more space between the intakes.
Jan 13, 2022, 03:20 PM
Why don't you get the Composite FlexJet?

https://www.flexinnovations.com/prod...exjet-pro-arf/

Quick Reply