Aug 14, 2005, 07:50 AM
Thread OP

How to get inverted in the first place??

I have a long way to go B4 im gonna go and cut the lanwn with my heli, but I was wandering how do you guys actually get your heli inverted in the first place

I excuse myself if its a dumb question but we all start from somewhere.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2005, 08:38 AM
Trex450/500/600E(vBar)
Not that I can do it with the real thing, but you can flip it forwards/backwards or roll it. Obviously using collective at the same time as cyclic.
Aug 14, 2005, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarypower3
Not that I can do it with the real thing, but you can flip it forwards/backwards or roll it. Obviously using collective at the same time as cyclic.
At what point does the tx need to start going into -pitch? is it just as it is upside down or a little before or after?
Aug 14, 2005, 07:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildewing
At what point does the tx need to start going into -pitch? is it just as it is upside down or a little before or after?
Very good point
Aug 14, 2005, 07:57 PM
Ideally - my opinion and only practiced on the SIM so far - you need to transition from hovering +ve pitch to 0 pitch to hovering -ve pitch smoothly as the heli transitions from nose horizontal to nose vertical to nose inverted horizontal.

If you think about it you want to spend little time with the heli nose vertical and you also do not want any lift from the main rotor at that stage of the 'flip' or your flip becomes 'stretched' as the heli is pushed along horizontally. The key seems to be to get enough momentum into the flip early on and then back on the pitch thru 0 and into -ve as the nose comes over.

As I said, I can do this on Reflex XTR but I'm struggling when it comes to trying this for real.
Aug 14, 2005, 08:30 PM
Get a sim and you will totally understand and will most likely go and buy a cp heli.
Aug 14, 2005, 08:39 PM
I have FMS but no way of doing inverted flight with it. I also have access to a Blade CP that the owner cannot fly and wants me to try and fly it inverted with no cost to me if it breaks

I do want to be at least semisuccessful though and dont want it to break until i at least get all the way upside down.
Aug 14, 2005, 09:01 PM
back from hiatus
fms can fly inverted easy. too easy.
Aug 14, 2005, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameotron
fms can fly inverted easy. too easy.
not with my 4ch radio
Aug 14, 2005, 10:57 PM
back from hiatus
yes it can. I used it with a Walkera 4 channel radio until I got the cable for my eclipse 7. It doesn't have seperate pitch and throttle channels, only pitch. Just flip the thing over and drop the throttle stick and it will work. The only problem you might have is that if you're using the dragonfly model you can't actually get inverted because it doesn't have fast enough cyclic response.

Just grab the T-Rex model from trextuning.com and try it
Aug 14, 2005, 11:02 PM
OpenPilot
Quote:
Not at our indoor meets you don't. Generally you have someone hold the heli upside down, hover it for a bit and get someone to catch it.

Seriously, we had this happen.
Aug 14, 2005, 11:05 PM
and the video is on www.mrchc.org.au
Aug 14, 2005, 11:25 PM
Trex450/500/600E(vBar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankers
Not at our indoor meets you don't.
The challange is on!
If I'm not flipping inside within a year from now, you can kick my but!
I did see the vid too. I was always curious why someone with that sort of experience was starting upsidedown.
Aug 15, 2005, 03:32 AM
Diver-driver
i'd definitely recomend entering with a 1/2 roll, if you do a flip either front or back the risk of the heli starting to "run away" in the flip is high ... in a roll you allways stay at one orientation e.g. tail in to start and the heli moves sideways if not done rolled on the spot rather than come howling at you or disapearing on the horizon
Aug 15, 2005, 03:45 AM
OpenPilot
Quote:
I was always curious why someone with that sort of experience was starting upsidedown.
Its a Micro and although the dude is an A1 90 size glow flyer, his micros are just not well setup - infact it wasn't even his if I recall. The hornet is one of the worst for setup as well, needs a lot of care to get perfect. Glow helis go together so much better, the setup with them is in the dynamics, flybar mixing ratio, paddle and blade choice not in spending hours trying to get the tail smooth :-)

A year? Bet you are flipping etc within 3 months. Might have to get you flying Johns Raptor on a buddy lead as well - you'll get a lot of confidence with that.

I start with a 1/2 roll as well but I learnt tail in inverted first, some people find nose in inverted easier and they do half a flip.

Quick Reply