Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 13, 2005, 09:30 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool

Do you own a Balsa tree? if so, where did you get it.

I've always wanted to have a balsa tree since i got into RC models.

I doubt it would ever produce any wood i could use but it would be an interesting conversation piece and it would be nice to see what a balsa tree looks like.

Anyone have any pictures of a balsa tree?

Anyone know where you can purchase Balsa seeds or a sapling?
Last edited by dogon1013; Aug 15, 2005 at 01:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2005, 09:44 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
Well i found a place online to buy balsa seed here:
http://seedrack.com/07.html

The seeds are only $3.07 for 8 so i might just have to order some. I live in sunny florida so it may grow OK outdoors.

scroll down a little.
I had no idea balsa trees could grow 60 to 90 feet tall
Aug 13, 2005, 10:08 PM
Rank Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogon1013
Well i found a place online to buy balsa seed here:
http://seedrack.com/07.html

The seeds are only $3.07 for 8 so i might just have to order some. I live in sunny florida so it may grow OK outdoors.

scroll down a little.
I had no idea balsa trees could grow 60 to 90 feet tall
Just so you know, balsa in it's native environment is basically a nuisance tree so be careful about getting any exotics growing...between kudzu, privet hedge, congo grass, mimosa, etc., our native species are hurting.

Ed
Intheswamp
Aug 13, 2005, 10:20 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
yea, I read that it grows real fast, and is almost considered a weed. It sounds like it is similar to bamboo in that respect.

Have you seen any balsa trees in the US? I read it's native environment is the jungle, don't know if it could really survive in the US.

I'll do some more research before i plant anything.
Aug 14, 2005, 01:37 AM
Some people in Seattle have Palm trees growing outside. No doubt not as well as they normally would do but I have seen them. They are not in pots. It would be cool to have one in a big pot alonside my potted bamboo.
Aug 14, 2005, 04:38 AM
You win again, gravity!
Balsa is actually the fastest growing tree if I am not mistaken. Good news for us modellers: balsa is very suitable for renewable plantations But that also means that it's not very long-lived tree, maybe about a decade.

Balsa trees like it hot & humid, so Florida sounds good, although I don't know if it may have problems with your winters there.
Aug 14, 2005, 05:03 PM
rvt
rvt

Balsa

I live in Ecuador, I think 'we' (I am not native Ecuadorian) are the biggest export country's when it comes to Balsa. Infortunatly we don't process it here. I went to this 'farm' two weeks ago to by some balsa. it weights about 130g/liter and this is from a female tree. (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfi...58/Nl30409.jpg)

The tree's I have seen here about 75km from here are big, like 80cm in diameter.

But indeed, Balsa tree's need warm humid environments, that's where they grow best...

cheers,
Ries

BTW: We also use it here to make a raft with a couple of trees about 4 meters in length.
Aug 14, 2005, 07:07 PM
Read this:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sssrcsoari...tips/Balsa.htm
Aug 14, 2005, 08:27 PM
It's been a while.
The real scratch builders!!
Are you going to be mineing copper for wires next?
Aug 15, 2005, 08:52 AM
rvt
rvt
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Zipper
The real scratch builders!!
Are you going to be mineing copper for wires next?
Mmmmm... now I think of it
Aug 15, 2005, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvt
BTW: We also use it here to make a raft with a couple of trees about 4 meters in length.
In fact there is a kind of boat called "balsa" here.

It is a flat boat usually used to cross rivers or lakes with cars and people where there is no bridge.

Sometimes it have an engine, on other cases they use a rope or cable between the margins so the "balsa man" can cross the water just pulling the rope/cable.
Aug 15, 2005, 09:22 AM
fly-crash and resurect
hey,
u guys think a balsa tree will grow in singapore?

i have an extra 4 squer meter of garden... :P
Aug 15, 2005, 01:35 PM
I would think balsa would grow in singapore quite well.

The temperate fast growing hardwood trees are poplars and willow: Both are pretty light wood, as is spruce, and they all need a lot of water.

If the climate is marginal you may get slower growth and a denser tree producing rather heavy wood - wet and hot I should say are what it needs.
Aug 15, 2005, 03:00 PM

Growing your own Balsa

odgon1013,

That would be cool to grow your own balsa, I will have get me some seeds and try it out.

When I lived in Southern California (Los Angeles Area) We (my mother and I ) planted Banana Trees - talk about growing fast....The banana tree gave off bananas.
The Banana trees take alot of water, I would assume the Balsa tree will do the same.
The tropical environment is true, you will get repeatable results.

Hey for $3.00 USD for eight seeds that is worth the gamble...

It will be cool to go to your yard for model wood...

What is life if you do not challenge it-we do it every time our model goes into the skies....

Thank you for starting this thread...

Martin Vargas
Aug 15, 2005, 09:08 PM
Hey Yorbenator,
If you get balsa seeds I will share the cost with you.... I also have some space in my garden for a balsa tree.... :-)

Or you could get a Paulownia tree .... that would give some nice light wood too...

Shane