What the Heck Wednesday - Cockpit View Crash

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a video of a Tower Hobbies Edge 540 with a camera in the cockpit providing a first person view of the crash at the end.

Splash

What The Heck Happened?

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a video of a Tower Hobbies Edge 540 with a camera in the cockpit providing a first person view of the crash at the end. The plane was humming along with the Tower .75 glow engine, but it pulls up, rolls over and heads for the ground in a hurry. The video description says the crash appears to be a loss of control on the left aileron, but all the electronics worked after the crash. It looks to me more like a stall, but who knows. It's interesting to watch the crash from the perspective of the plane though.

So what you do guys think? What the heck happened on this one?

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Jan 05, 2022, 09:21 AM
Failure to maintain proper separation between aircraft and ground.
Jan 05, 2022, 09:24 AM
looks like a stall to me
Jan 05, 2022, 09:55 AM
Nice video from inside the model.
Doesn't sound like a lot of throttle management was done through the flight, so did the pilot throttle down towards the end or did the engine lean out and lose power resulting in a stall?
Jan 05, 2022, 10:54 AM
He pulled to hard, which caused a snap, and he wasn't high/quick enough to fix it.
Jan 05, 2022, 11:27 AM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
It nosed up just before the snap. Stall.
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
Jan 05, 2022, 11:47 AM
Foam Rules, Gravity Sucks
Several points in that flight where the path was allowed to tighten rather than being controlled.

One of the starbaord turns way before the end made me wince.

The last time was slower than the rest . Too much control deflection at too low an airspeed.

Stall.
Jan 05, 2022, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravedan
Several points in that flight where the path was allowed to tighten rather than being controlled.

One of the starbaord turns way before the end made me wince.

The last time was slower than the rest . Too much control deflection at too low an airspeed.

Stall.
Well, for a 3d capable plane like this, "low airspeed" isn't really a term because it can fly at an airspeed of zero.
Jan 05, 2022, 05:39 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandetlol
Well, for a 3d capable plane like this, "low airspeed" isn't really a term because it can fly at an airspeed of zero.
Only when the lift is supplied from the prop and engine though. It looked like it tried to turn a bit too tight and suffered from an accelerated stall due to the tightness of the pitching up turn. And as posted earlier in a reply simply didn't have the room needed to recover. And likely as not full up was held all through the final dive which kept the wing stalled right to impact. Likely the source of the mid dive nose up bobbles seen just before impact. Full up once the wing is stalled will simply hold it in the stall.
Jan 05, 2022, 07:13 PM
Typical yank and bank stall spin.
Jan 05, 2022, 08:35 PM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunkman
Typical yank and bank stall spin.
Yup. Thatís about all that needs to be said about that.
Jan 06, 2022, 11:32 AM
As a newbie in RC flying, I have watched dozens of flight video's, also about stalls with real airplanes like a Cessna. There I saw the same behaviour: a tip stall (on purpose, for training) which the student tried to correct with ailerons to no avail, until the instructor took over and applied reverse rudder, leaving the ailerons in neutral, gained speed and pulled it out of the uncontrolled movement.
Jan 06, 2022, 03:40 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Amazing how many people don't understand that, in models and full-size. A 35 series Lear Jet went in a week ago for that reason.

And, yes, that looks very much like an accelerated stall. Caused, most likely, by too high alpha during the turn. Speed is not the only concern here, but angle of attack as well. Could have recovered easily, except his flight path intersected the planet surface too soon.
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Jan 06, 2022, 09:04 PM
Kept trying to hit the ground, and finally succeeded .

Seriously, I vote for accelerated stall followed by spin entry.
Jan 09, 2022, 09:35 AM
Foam Rules, Gravity Sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandetlol
No, sir, not so.

A 3D plane at below airfoil stall speed is not flying, its using engine/motor power and pilot controlled attitude to overcome weight and gravity, and to provide sufficient bursts of prop wash over the surfaces to retain attitude control. Airfoil lift (traditional flight)from the wing and tail surfaces can be and usually is negligible.

Its only going to remain in the air if the pilots skills are sufficient to balance the various forces and the power the engine/motor can deliver are up to the task.

Many years ago I inherited a "3D" Edge 540, 30cc petrol. (When 30cc was regarded as "very large"!!!)

It had been crashed THREE times by the builder/pilot who didn't understand that.

Re-propped with lower pitch for more low down thrust, I still have it a decade plus later, and thrown around like I stole it, its never bitten me.

Quick Reply