BattAir Plugin - Make Any Battery Smart

I wanted to see what you guys think of the iSDT BattAir Plugin module. It's a little device that connects to the balance port of lipo batteries and turns them into smart batteries.

Splash

Hot or Not?

I wanted to see what you guys think of the iSDT BattAir Plugin module. It's a little device that connects to the balance port of lipo batteries and turns them into smart batteries. There is a module for 2S, 3-4S and 5-6S batteries. They have an app that the module connects to as well as a charger system that utilizes the data. On the app you can view the charge level, set and manage battery parameters, view battery usage records and also update firmware.

The module itself can be useful without pulling out your phone and connecting the app. It has an LED button on it with multiple colors that tells the status including the battery charge state like a lipo checker. They sell for around $25 each so I'm just not sure if it's worth it or not. It would take a boatload of money to outfit all my batteries with these so I wanted to see what you guys think. (EDIT: Looks like only $5 each, not $25) Have you tried it yet? Would you recommend using them? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

Here's the iSDT BattAir Plugin Page

Last edited by Jason Cole; Jan 04, 2022 at 02:49 PM..
Jan 04, 2022, 09:59 AM
Interesting.. @$25 a pop... half the price of some batteries.
They are probably useful for 6S and above (10S -12S) and high usage rates, both high demand and high cycles. I don't see them in the future for me at that price range.
cheers
Jan 04, 2022, 02:47 PM
https://usa.banggood.com/5Pcs-ISDT-2...=CN&ID=6315892

This is saying 25$ for 5, so 5 per, not 25. A lot more reasonable!
Jan 04, 2022, 02:48 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Yeah that sounds a lot better!
Jan 04, 2022, 03:00 PM
I bought some to test. 5$ per is reasonable.
Jan 04, 2022, 03:09 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Cool, let me know what you think when you get them.
Jan 04, 2022, 03:11 PM
Won't be for like a month! Banggood shipping from china lol
Jan 04, 2022, 04:27 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
I may be old school, but I've never been persuaded of the real value of Smart batteries, chargers, etc. I like the flexibility of being able to use any brand of charger, any brand of lipo, and any type of battery connector. For now, I like flexibility.

But, if all the manufacturers agreed on a standard so that all planes were sold with the same battery connector (rather than XT60, XT90, EC3, EC5, IC3, IC5, Deans, Star, MPX, etc), battery type, charger type, etc, that would be a game changer!

Tom
Jan 04, 2022, 06:31 PM
Looks like it could be interesting for some use cases. Personally, I use the FrSky voltage sensor for $16 that tells me all the same info except charging cycles and sends it as telemetry to my Tx. It's not tied to a battery, so I just plug it into which ever plane I am flying unless I use a flight controller in which case I get the info directly via the Yappu script.
Jan 05, 2022, 07:17 AM
Way to much free time!
I like the data the module provides but would not leave it plugged into the lipo continuously. Any load on the battery will drain it faster than it would be without the load, naturally. I'm thinking about longer term storage between flights.
Jan 05, 2022, 08:26 AM
One video shows one is for 2s, one for 3 and 4s, one for 5 and 6s. When buying from Banggood, it shows 5 piece and I'm wondering if you get 3 of them but they call it a 5 piece.
I don't have any 2s batteries and would rather be able to pick and choose which ones I need.

Make Your Batteries Smarter - ISDT BattAir Plugin / Air8 Charger (8 min 58 sec)
Last edited by smurf; Jan 05, 2022 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added video
Jan 05, 2022, 10:59 AM

A battery has no brains.

Just chemicals to provide power.

So does this gizmo replace your charger ? Can it be programmed to do other batteries ? Does it disconnect completely if left connected ?

Is it just repeating what any modern charger tells you ?

I see it as another money making techy gizmo to buy , use a few times, then forget about it.
Jan 05, 2022, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulligan
I may be old school, but I've never been persuaded of the real value of Smart batteries, chargers, etc. I like the flexibility of being able to use any brand of charger, any brand of lipo, and any type of battery connector. For now, I like flexibility.

But, if all the manufacturers agreed on a standard so that all planes were sold with the same battery connector (rather than XT60, XT90, EC3, EC5, IC3, IC5, Deans, Star, MPX, etc), battery type, charger type, etc, that would be a game changer!

Tom
So you know this only goes on the balance lead. All batteries have the same balance lead. And then you plug the thing into any charger. It shouldn't stop a battery from being used on a charger, it just won't have the same functionality on a normal charger.

But it will still auto-discharge, and send real time data to your phone.
Jan 05, 2022, 12:20 PM
model aviation is not a crime
Nah, I had many packs to manage and bought into iSDT BattGO long before HH / Spektrum released it as SMART, then later, buying the licensing making the technology exclusive to Horizon Hobby.
Last edited by justplainold; Jan 05, 2022 at 12:49 PM.
Jan 05, 2022, 02:10 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Quote:
All Most batteries have the same balance lead.
I fixed that for you.

The JST XH connector is by far the most common for sure. But there are other connector types that have been used by some manufacturers over the years.

Quick Reply