Jan 10, 2022, 08:20 AM
Thread OP
String stretched across span of spar to mark 'center' points of ribs. Jigs are made to coincide with these marks to hold the LE vertically over these points while ribs get added. Ribs will be placed 16 degrees from vertical.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2022, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
In lieu of a jig the direct approach is being taken! The front portion of the ribs are getting glued to the spar directly. Everything can get sanded fair easy enough as it is all aligning well. There are only four left... two per wing. There is a 'double' rib where the wing will separate. Supports for the wing tube are glued to the appropriate ribs. I was going to fit CF tubes but found these cardboard and aluminum joiners lurking about! Once the spar is completed the aft portions of the ribs get added.
Jan 21, 2022, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
As gleaned from the 'Only the Wing' book (thanks liftchaser!) the ailerons are 'barn door' for the version being built here. The ribs were sanded fair to fit the false LE. After this the upper sheeting for the 'D' tube gets installed once the ribs are sanded fair for same. The reason for this is the spar is flat on top and a jig can be made to set the TE for the 'twist' before the lower sheeting completes the 'D' tube and 'locks' the twist. Each spar is checked against the other for symmetry using tracings and rulers. Slowly but surely!
Jan 23, 2022, 02:14 PM
Subscribed
Jan 24, 2022, 08:18 PM
Thread OP
Hi Fred! How are ya? I saw Greg's WACO troop glider on here. You have anything in the works?

The spars are almost perfect! Just a little more sanding and 'string test' checking. The spars are weighted down onto a granite surface when the sanding is done.
Jan 24, 2022, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP
Hi Fred! How are ya? I saw Greg's WACO troop glider on here. You have anything in the works?

The spars are almost perfect! Just a little more sanding and 'string test' checking. The spars are weighted down onto a granite surface when the sanding is done.
Hi Michael!
Love your new project. I am converting a Cub to a TG-8, sorta scale.
All the best!
Fred
Jan 30, 2022, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, Fred! Hope to see the TG-8 at an event. I may go to Owatana ten year anniversary event.

A TE washout jig pattern was drawn. Also, paper patterns were made for the TE of the ribs. I needed it to modify the rib drawings. The ribs will attach to the back side of spar. Because of washout the ribs won't attach 'normal' to this surface but will need to angle the TE of the ribs upwards. The extra upsweep of the outer three ribs and tip should give the needed 'twist' for stability. I hope that makes sense. I visualize but sometimes can't communicate, in printed words or vocally, my ideas.
Jan 30, 2022, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
This picture shows the 'angle' needed to fit the rib against the spar and have the needed washout. It is the blue inked line for each.
Jan 30, 2022, 03:14 PM
Michael, reminds me of the Hol’s aileron tips with the last 3 ribs upswept.
Jan 31, 2022, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
Yes... the German aircraft builders seemed to incorporate the tip upsweep early in aircraft development.

The spars were laid side by side so the rib gussets could be installed. The gussets have one face 16 degrees off vertical for the ribs are angled. The ribs will start being added now.
Feb 01, 2022, 09:14 PM
Thread OP
The washout jig is cardboard. Each edge will get faced with 1/16" balsa and some triangle shaped balsa 'legs' will get added so it can be free standing. The rib stations 1 through 20 including the tip are marked on it. Sorry about the single picture posts but I don't have internet and am doing this from a phone.
Feb 02, 2022, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
All that needs to be done is fill the gap between the spar and the washout TE jig and it will be almost done!
Feb 03, 2022, 09:45 AM
nicely done. It's going to be really cool when all the ribs start getting filled in!
Feb 03, 2022, 04:15 PM
Lost in the Sky
Found this while surfing last night.
Feb 03, 2022, 07:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146
nicely done. It's going to be really cool when all the ribs start getting filled in!
Thanks!

Richard N, thanks for that photo! I haven't seen that one and I have searched a lot. It looks to be the early version with 'pointed' tips. Also, the LE doesn't appear to be painted. Some online 'cartoon' images show red and white but black on wood and clear linen are plausible.

1/16" balsa faced each side with 1/64" ply to make ribs #15 through 20 so far. Here's a picture of them just placed against the gussets of the jigged spar to show how they fair throughout with the washout. Very little sanding was needed!

Quick Reply