Jul 15, 2019, 10:11 AM
I designed this in 2009, and just re-made one in 9mm depron for fun, flies very nicely.

RC A-4B Winged V-2 rocket glider flight (0 min 49 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2019, 07:02 PM
If I was the convert the radio control modeler black bird to rocket power do you think a G80 would provide enough thrust for a decent lift off? Weighs 2 pounds 10 ounces no rc gear yet. 38 inch wide wing by 50 inches long. https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6111
Jul 16, 2019, 06:23 PM
It all depends, you have to consider the before and after weight of the rocket motor, look at the CG change and decide if the shift is manageable with elevator up trim for glide. You also have to consider your boost speed, faster is not better, you have less time to react. For comparison, my YF-12/SR-71 kit is 39" long with 21" wingspan, and uses a 24mm motor with 12.5 oz rtf weight with motor and 1 ounce of propellent, which gives a 3/4" cg shift which is managable with my larger elevons and a glide weight of 11.5 ounces. The G-80 has about 2.25 oz propellent and weighs about 4.5 ounces, so with radio/motor you are looking at around 3.25 pounds plus whatever nose weight is needed. The G-80 will lift that ok, not to great height maybe, but is a 2" CG shift ok in that length with the controls you have, and will it glide ok at a 3# + glide weight given the area, you'll have to decide. When I use that size motor it was in a 72" long X-15 cruciform profile that weighed only 38 ounces ready to fly but had a TON of surface area, probably twice what you will have and at a pound less glide weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-fly-any-and-
If I was the convert the radio control modeler black bird to rocket power do you think a G80 would provide enough thrust for a decent lift off? Weighs 2 pounds 10 ounces no rc gear yet. 38 inch wide wing by 50 inches long. https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6111
Aug 13, 2019, 07:20 PM
Doing another run of klingon battlecruiser rc rocket glider kits. These would be pre order only, around $75 shipped. ​​Wingspan 24″, length 30″, weight 11 oz rtf. If interested mail me at [email protected] I've got five interested, need 5 more to actually warrant a kit run. Instructions so you can see how it goes together is at: https://dynasoarrocketry.com/?page_id=3973
Video at:
Klingon Battlecruiser RC Rocket Glider (1 min 19 sec)

Quick Reply