Aug 05, 2016, 05:36 PM
Dave, I modeled the wing cg as just the exposed wing portion instead of including the portion that would be inside the fuselage tube, and the CG remained the same as expected at 20% mac for boost.
Last edited by burkefj; Sep 04, 2016 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2016, 08:50 PM
Frank

Now thatís a cool tool! Thanks.
If Iím understanding you correctly, youíre using 26% MAC for boost and something forward of that for glide.
Have you done any tests to see just how far you could expand the CG envelope?

Thanks

Dave
Aug 09, 2016, 01:27 AM
Hi, Yes correct, 26% for boost, that number included the fuselage in the calculation. I did not play with the envelope, I know from experience with this same wing planform that if I go much further aft it gets a bit twitchy off the rail, I don't know how much margin I have, but it is pretty stable on boost...if you just use the exposed wing portion it's 20%mac at boost.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT
Frank

Now that’s a cool tool! Thanks.
If I’m understanding you correctly, you’re using 26% MAC for boost and something forward of that for glide.
Have you done any tests to see just how far you could expand the CG envelope?

Thanks

Dave
Last edited by burkefj; Oct 24, 2016 at 06:38 PM.
Aug 25, 2016, 02:00 PM
Dave I'll try to see how far forward the CG can be.

Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Sep 02, 2016 at 11:42 PM.
Aug 25, 2016, 06:52 PM
Dave, are you going to go with a ventral and skids, or skip the ventral and belly land? On my version I skipped the ventral and had to trim the bottom of the tip fins since my body tube diameter was smaller than scale.

Frank

Quote:
I’ve been making some progress on the X-15 delta.
Frank, what kind of CG envelope have you experimented with on yours?

Thanks

Dave
Last edited by burkefj; Sep 02, 2016 at 11:42 PM.
Aug 27, 2016, 04:32 AM
Are there any companies making kits for RC Rocket gliders? I had T25 Centurion but it only flew decently with a aerotech 24mm motor. D11p could barely push it 40 feet
Aug 27, 2016, 01:38 PM
Electric Coolhunter
I have built and flown a lot of RC RGs in the last couple of years. Here is a group shot of my RCRG fleet at NARAM 58 5 weeks ago.

Built a couple of Frank's discontinued profile Depron kits, the InteR/Ceptor and the X-15. Did a number of my own designs in profile: XB-70, XF-108, Douglas D-558-3 Skyflash and a profile SA-14 Archer rocket with strakes large enough to give it some gliding ability.

In June, I built a beta pre production kit of Frank's 2.6" Bomarc which you can also see in the picture. Great model with a fun boost and a good glide on a AT 24mm RC E12 load.

Also did a smaller model this past July in built up Depron for the 18mm AT D2.3 reload: a semi scale model of the Black Horse spaceplane concept from the 1990s. Wingspan is about 20" and it boosts and flies great on this reload at about 5.5oz.

I posted about the Estes V-2 conversion to an A4b earlier. Also shown is my Guillow's foam Space Shuttle converted to RC (booster not shown).

Also shown in the picture is my free flight MiG -21 BG.
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 27, 2016 at 01:43 PM.
Aug 27, 2016, 01:48 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-fly-any-and-
Are there any companies making kits for RC Rocket gliders? I had T25 Centurion but it only flew decently with a aerotech 24mm motor. D11p could barely push it 40 feet
Not really any good kits out there that will give decent performance on a D11P. You could probably design something to give you a better boost on the D11P, but the best way to go is the 24mm RC case from AT and the various loads avalable for it.

Frank at http://www.dynasoarrocketry.com makes a number of kits for the 24mm RC case and a few of his models have also flown on Estes Ds and Es.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Aug 31, 2016, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Dave, are you going to go with a ventral and skids, or skip the ventral and belly land?
Frank, I am skipping the ventral, as thatís where Iím going to place the rail guides. It will belly land, well thatís the plan anyway.
Iíll be using the full tip plates.
They will be designed to shear off at touchdown and will be held in place with nylon bolts.
I have moved the wing back a little cutting the distance from the back of the fuselage to the trailing edge of the wing in half.
That should reduce any needed nose weight.
Any data that you can produce on a forward CG limit would be most helpful.

Thanks

Dave
Sep 02, 2016, 11:57 PM
Dave, here is another drawing of the wing and CG, this is for just the wing portion that is exposed, and does not include the fuselage, it is showing 20% of mac, at my cg location I'm using for flight.

http://wingcgcalc.bruder.com.br/en_U...d6=0&sweep6=0&

Quote:
Frank, I am skipping the ventral, as that’s where I’m going to place the rail guides. It will belly land, well that’s the plan anyway.
I’ll be using the full tip plates.
They will be designed to shear off at touchdown and will be held in place with nylon bolts.
I have moved the wing back a little cutting the distance from the back of the fuselage to the trailing edge of the wing in half.
That should reduce any needed nose weight.
Any data that you can produce on a forward CG limit would be most helpful.

Thanks

Dave
Last edited by burkefj; Sep 04, 2016 at 07:53 PM.
Sep 04, 2016, 07:50 PM
Dave, using the below link, using the external portion of the exposed wing at 20%mac for launch, I'm running 14% mac for glide and it still has plenty of pitch authority, so I think you could get away with 11% mac for glide at forward cg.

Dynasoar Rocketry Hypersonic II Kit flights (5 min 15 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
Dave, here is another drawing of the wing and CG, this is for just the wing portion that is exposed, so the wing span is 2" shorter and the length of the wing root is 2.5" shorter, if I use that and keep the same physical CG location it is showing 20% of mac, again these are just two representations of the wing, one estimating some of the fuse lift, the other just the wing....

http://wingcgcalc.bruder.com.br/en_U...d6=0&sweep6=0&
Sep 04, 2016, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Dave, using the below link, using the external portion of the exposed wing at 20%mac for launch, I'm running 14% mac for glide and it still has plenty of pitch authority, so I think you could get away with 11% mac for glide at forward cg.
Frank,

Thank you for the information.
Great video! Your X-15 flies very well.
With a scale wing platform and a 12 pound flying weight, I donít think mine will fly as well.

Dave
Sep 15, 2016, 10:30 PM
Almost done!
I still have some tasks to finish.

Dave
Sep 20, 2016, 03:14 PM
Very nice, looking forward to final weight, motor and flight video
Oct 04, 2016, 02:39 AM
Work hard, play hard
I've just started into RC boost gliders. Flew the DynaSoar Intercepter III six times this weekend. Need to work a bit more on maximizing glide time. I see that Frank is all over this section. So, I can pester him here, and not just by email!

We had two epic days this weekend for flying in Northern Alabsma, and my daughter and I really enjoyed ourselves at the RC club field.

Chuck
DynaSoar Intercepter III Boost/Glider Flight (0 min 55 sec)

Quick Reply