Oct 04, 2012, 06:05 PM
Yes, for the smaller ones they are all in pdf format here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979395

The larger versions were sort of on the fly, but I can certainly take pictures to show what I did if you want to try one. For size I simply scaled them up 1.5x.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
Great pics and some really nice gliders. I don't suppose there are plans about to build something like that are there?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj View Post
Yes, for the smaller ones they are all in pdf format here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979395

The larger versions were sort of on the fly, but I can certainly take pictures to show what I did if you want to try one. For size I simply scaled them up 1.5x.

Frank
Thanks! I'll be sure to try some.
Oct 10, 2012, 07:09 PM
High-power Rocket Gliders
Vulcan the G-I glider flies!

Build thread here: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...L1-cert-glider

Ari.

Vulcan First Flight (1 min 51 sec)
Oct 10, 2012, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Very nice!

X30
Oct 11, 2012, 10:17 AM
Good video too!

Got to get a few more flights in with my delta but the weather has been contrary to any rocketry up here.

Richard
Oct 12, 2012, 11:32 PM

Maiden flights

Maiden flights were great, even though it was in a rainstorm. The tomahawk was really graceful on the G-12, and the Jayhawk boosted nice and straight on a G-40 but I detected just a hint of flutter right at burnout, probably due to the long pushrods I used to keep the servo weight up forward. I think a G-38 will be perfect. Glide trim was spot on and they were really easy to fly. Of course the jump starting battery I brought has a safety circuit in it, so it wouldn't light the igniters and we had to pull the battery out of my van to launch Enjoy!

Large Scratch Built AQM-37C Jayhawk Target Drone Rocket boosted RC Glider (1 min 6 sec)

Large Tomahawk Cruise Missile rocket boosted RC glider (1 min 12 sec)
Oct 17, 2012, 10:52 PM
We had a beautiful day today and my friend George Rachor graciously offered the use of his field, and I got in quite a few flights. I was really hoping the G-38 would be soft enough for the jayhawk and bomarc but alas it was very close to the G-40 and a little hard. I got five of them from hobby linc, and three worked nominally, two made a loud pop at ignition and blew the forward closure and split lengthwise and fortunately stopped burning, and the other blew the nozzle and split...Nothing was clogged in the nozzle and I was using the stock skinny copperheads....

I also got to test out my 1/4" launch lug adapter which is a rod that goes into the launch lug and is drilled and tapped for launch buttons that go on the top and bottom of the rod allowing me to use a rail as well, worked great on the alcm and X-20.

Here are the videos...If you put it on high quality they look pretty decent.

Some assorted RC rocket boosted glider flights (2 min 55 sec)

Also some video stills that were decent.
Last edited by burkefj; Oct 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Oct 18, 2012, 01:02 AM
Nice video! On the X-20, it looks like you hesitate during boost. My experience with these long-burn AT motors (E6, G12) is that they fool me--they keep burning when I think they're done producing thrust. So I start bringing the nose down, only to discover that I'm still accelerating!

Good job on the flights and the editing.

Ari.
Oct 18, 2012, 02:17 AM
Yeah, I'm almost standing under it, it's hard to tell if it is slowing down or not.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iter View Post
Nice video! On the X-20, it looks like you hesitate during boost. My experience with these long-burn AT motors (E6, G12) is that they fool me--they keep burning when I think they're done producing thrust. So I start bringing the nose down, only to discover that I'm still accelerating!

Good job on the flights and the editing.

Ari.
Oct 21, 2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Here are the videos
Very nice, I enjoy seeing what you’re doing.
The full-bodied AGM-86 and X-20 look great.

X30
Oct 21, 2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Hey Ari,
Congratulations on your L-1 certification flight with the glider.
Did Jack do the cert?

X30
Oct 21, 2012, 06:03 PM
He did. Boy did it take a lot of work to convince him that an R/C glider constitutes active recovery!

Anyway, here are some photos by "Minimum Wage" Mike from TCC October Skies yesterday. This flight, like the cert flight on Friday, is on a CTI H54.

Ari.
Last edited by iter; Oct 22, 2012 at 02:20 AM.
Oct 21, 2012, 08:42 PM
Very well done Ari.

Richard
Oct 22, 2012, 12:02 AM
Hey, I'm famous by association! I have to give credit for the still photos to my wife, though.

I did take an iphone video of Ari's flight that can be viewed here. Best in 720p.

Mike Mc.
Last edited by MinimumWage; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: clarity
Oct 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
SPOOOOOOON!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iter View Post
He did. Boy did it take a lot of work to convince him that an R/C glider constitutes active recovery!
Shouldn't have if it was an NAR cert.
http://www.nar.org/2006/07/definitio...e_recovery.php

"The active recovery device can include parachutes, streamers, helicopter devices, R/C control and any other devices that are physically deployed to provide safe recovery of the model."

kj

Quick Reply