Aug 12, 2005, 01:11 PM
RC Nut!
Thread OP

Anyone else love RC rocket Gliders?

Anyone Else love RC rocket gliders? I hear that Aerotech is going to run some RC type relaods again by 4th Q of this year. I can't wait. E6's and G12's

Please show me what you have or have planned in this field?

I have a AeroTech Phoenix that I have about 15 flights on.

I have a Cuda RC glider NIB.

I have launched a FMA Razor electric wing that i converted to a G12 (what a rush) a good 100 MPH and 1000' launch. Abut 5 flights before it came apart on launch @ max Q .

I plan on trying a Wedge conversion on a Aerotech E6 reload that should turn out nicely.

I also just ordered a T-25 Centurian R/C Boost Glider. I have the itch again

Happy flying,

John Fruge
Last edited by jfruge; Aug 12, 2005 at 02:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2005, 01:41 PM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Yes, I like them too. Although I have not flown them very much in the past 2 years.

I have a ~30 inch span model for C and B power. The wing is built up, and poorly done, and I am thinking of doing a balsa Drela Apogee wing for it.

I have a Phoenix.

Also have a heavily modified 'Cuda.

And a Zitnan "ARF" RCRG built in Eastern Europe.

Thinking of doing a ZagNutz style FFF wing and flying it on Cs or Ds.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Aug 12, 2005, 05:09 PM
ElectriGlo Pilot
Hey John, The centurian is nice

JUST DO NOT USE THEIR CRAP elevator linkage. Stupidly I did after noticing its weakness and one 3 minute maiden later I have pieces of T25... Otherwise its nice.
Aug 12, 2005, 07:15 PM
Purdue Engineering
I also crashed because of the elevator linkage. That and too little power from a D11-P. I'm going to the hardware store to buy some stiffer cable.
Aug 12, 2005, 08:37 PM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092
I also crashed because of the elevator linkage. That and too little power from a D11-P. I'm going to the hardware store to buy some stiffer cable.
I don't know what kind of cable they use in the Strato Blaster Arf, but I have had great luck with the SS rod at smallparts.com. Won't rust and is very light and stiff.

Ryan
Aug 14, 2005, 11:14 AM
RC Nut!
Thread OP
Thanks for the heads up on the pushrods.

I have ordered a launch rail 6' and some buttons and hope to use this for launching gliders. I will see how it goes.

http://www.giantleaprocketry.com/hpdefault.asp

I also plan on using my Zlog unit to tell how hight it launches.

http://www.hexpertsystems.com/zlog/

JF
Last edited by jfruge; Aug 14, 2005 at 11:52 AM.
Aug 14, 2005, 01:02 PM

Zagi conversion?

Hi Folks:
The Estes T-25 Centurian seems to be the only production R/C RG but I'm not seeing very encouraging reviews. What about swapping out the electric motor on a Zagi-60 for a model rocket motor mount? Or anybody want to share their plans for doing a convertion? I think that would make a great current article for Sport Rocketry. Thanks!
-Will
Aug 14, 2005, 01:26 PM
ElectriGlo Pilot
Really the only problem is the elevator linkage. Also don't use a small motor like a D11-P unless maybe you angle the rod down to 70 degrees or so to allow some forward momentum after the motor burn.

I really like the way it would glide and fly under brushless power, it just died after the elevator failed.
Aug 14, 2005, 02:05 PM
RC Nut!
Thread OP
Quote:
What about swapping out the electric motor on a Zagi-60 for a model rocket motor mount?
I think this is a good option and should be easy to do. As i stated above I did this to a FMA 48" electric wing with a G12 reload and it kicked some major butt.

Has any else done anything like this before?

Thanks,

JF
Aug 14, 2005, 02:06 PM

Stiffer linkage cable?

Hi Trogdor:
So a stiffer linkage cable will make all the difference? Tower Hobbies has the T-25 for $85 so I ordered one. My local hobby shop is pretty good so I'll get some help there selecting a better linkage cable.

It sounds like you flew yours with an electric motor? I knew they gave instructions for a gas motor. Was the conversion to electric trivial?

Thanks for your help!
-Will
Aug 14, 2005, 02:12 PM
RC Nut!
Thread OP
Wow! that towerhobbies price is great ont the T-25 if you have a $20 or $10 off code its even better.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAWK2&P=7

JF
Aug 14, 2005, 03:30 PM
Purdue Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMarchant
Hi Trogdor:
So a stiffer linkage cable will make all the difference? Tower Hobbies has the T-25 for $85 so I ordered one. My local hobby shop is pretty good so I'll get some help there selecting a better linkage cable.

It sounds like you flew yours with an electric motor? I knew they gave instructions for a gas motor. Was the conversion to electric trivial?

Thanks for your help!
-Will
The centurian does not come with .049 conversion instructions, even though Estes says it does. I'm going to buy a better flex cable for mine. The one it comes with is flexible but it can bend. I also made the tube longer where it comes out of the wing and into the radio compartment.
Aug 14, 2005, 04:28 PM
ElectriGlo Pilot
The electric conversion took awhile to figure out how to stuff everything in the small space. I ended up making a "stick" motor mount out of an expended E rocket motor casing. This way I could use rocket motors or plug in the brushless. Alas, never got to try rocket motors. I then used a metal outrunner stick mount on that for the motor and ran the cables between the aileron pushrods.those ran to an ESC under the servos and the 1320 3s lipo sat right in front of the servo tray. I had to cut some to fit everything but it ended up balancing well.

Cool thing about the swept back wings and rear mounted motor was that the weight of the motor was already almost right on the CG so it didn't affect much.
Aug 14, 2005, 07:30 PM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Really the only problem is the elevator linkage. Also don't use a small motor like a D11-P unless maybe you angle the rod down to 70 degrees or so to allow some forward momentum after the motor burn.

I really like the way it would glide and fly under brushless power, it just died after the elevator failed.
By all means, launch RCRGs at a lower angle. I usually launch at around 70 degrees, but on some models we will launch as low as 45.

Ryan
Aug 14, 2005, 11:05 PM
Segelflugzeug esgeht nach oben

What kind of launch equipment are you all using...?

Angling a launch rail shouldn't be "rocket science" as they say....

But it would be convenient to do so with a nice pad that allows launch rod to be angled - and keeps the glider from rotating around the longitudinal launch rail axis ...and holds the rocket glider steady in a breeze.

I have an Aerotech Phoenix that I acquired off Ebay..
I understand from Gary Rosenfeld at Aerotech they will do another producton run of the motors for this out of production kit...so I'm bringing this one back to the front of my assmbly line.

Only thing is, I was wondering if they still have the old mantis pad for sale seperately, or is that somthing you have to buy with the whole "Initiator" HPR kit to get?

Quick Reply